steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Suggestions
04/16/06 at 20:15:47

As of late I have been playing around "down there" and my bike is running great. However...I shaved the spacer to 1/2, installed the straight pipe, and rejetted to a 152.5 all with no problem. Then went and drilled holes in the air box cover. ( big mistake ) Man I never heard so many backfires in my life. Took all of about five minuets to pull it off again and tape up the holes. She's a might bit more satisfied now. But...It still backfires rolling off the throttle. Mostly when changing to 2nd, but so far not at shut down.

Here is what I'm thinking.  

1. I should jet higher. Maybe 155, though I am curious why rob is running a 300

2. I should cut the spacer to 1/3 or 1/4. Some others here went that route but I'm not sure who.

3.I could have an exhuast leak in the pipe connection.

And it also seems that my top speed may have dropped. I havent really tried to push it, just sounded like I was at the top of the revs early. But I get there quicker with much more power.  

Any thoughts?   ???

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Suggestions
Reply #1 - 04/16/06 at 21:13:18

Backfiring on decel is caused by a lean pilot circuit...richen it and the backfiring will stop.  When you drilled the holes in the air box you let in more air, which leaned out the mixture, causing more backfiring.
Shaving the white spacer changes the position of the needle which richens the  midrange.
Changing the main jet to a larger size will richen the high range.
Neither the white spacer nor the main jet affect backfiring.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/06 at 22:42:15

As an example of how little it takes to make things lean up, I have been contemplating sticking in a #55 pilot jet as I still have a touch of backfiring.  Then yesterday, I got to thinking about what all I had done to the bike and decided to try a couple of things before doing the jet.

I had desnorkeled when I put my K&N filter in, so I decided to reinstall the snorkel and see what happened, with the premise being I would be restricting air flow, thus increasing the richness of the mixture.  When I did that it cut the backfiring down considerably to almost nil.  Now, I think that with just some tweaking of the idle mixture when I get the chance, I can cut that all the way out and not have to rejet the pilot circuit.

Had this not been as effective as it appears to currently be, my next step was to desnorkel again and reinstall the OEM air filter, knowing that it is way more restrictive but add a bit more air without the snorkel.  But I don't believe I'll have to do that.

I even have (had) a plan to slowly trim say a 1/4" at a time off the bottom of the snorkel to slowly increase the air to counter things if I got too rich, but that too is probably going to be unnecessary.

So, that said, little things such as drilling holes in the air box can make a big difference in the overall fuel/air mixture.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 04/17/06 at 18:06:53

OK, I change the pilot jet to richen the lower end. Where should I start? Up one size or something bigger?

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
So, that said, little things such as drilling holes in the air box can make a big difference in the overall fuel/air mixture.

And thats why the tape went over the holes.

Thanx for the help, the both of you.

WWW   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 04/17/06 at 19:00:27

Stock pilot jet is most likely a #52.5
Go up one size, (increments of 2.5)
I've not read of anyone going any higher than #55
My 05 S40 is suffering from the exact same symptoms.
From what I've read, popping and backfiring are to be expected from a finely tuned Mikuni carb with extremely open exhaust, but sometimes it's a bit much. I'm also suspecting a lean pilot circuit, but when I went to the stealers, they only stocked increments of ten, and wanted to sell me a jet kit. No thanks, just the jet please.
I'll try someplace else tomorrow.....

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/17/06 at 19:57:07

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

1. I should jet higher. Maybe 155, though I am curious why rob is running a 300

He has a different carb - he's using an Amal I think - in place of the mikuni bs40 - it sizes jet's different

the course tune on all carbs is fairly simple - it's the fine tune that can take a lot of fiddle'n - and have heart you get to do it again when the air temp changes 20-25f or you change the elevation 2000 feet or serious change in humidity - if you want to stay on the razors edge -

it's fun  Smiley

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 04/17/06 at 20:00:35

My local stealership doesn't stock em either. They told me they come in packs of 4 and they could order them if I bought them all. $20.00 for the four of them. I've got $5.00 for anyone who has an extra and I'ld also happily kick in the 40 whatever cents it is to stick it in the mail vs. paying for 3 extras.

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #7 - 04/17/06 at 20:16:33

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
...and have heart you get to do it again when the air temp changes 20-25f or you change the elevation 2000 feet or serious change in humidity - if you want to stay on the razors edge -

it's fun  Smiley

Gee thnx. Grin LOL All I really want is to cut it down to a minimum. I think I'll change it out anyway and then see how it works. At the very worst I wind up putting the original back in. Good thing I like to tinker Wink.

WWW   IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/17/06 at 20:25:17

Steelwolf,
I have a  55 pilot. Dennis Kirk sells them in two's. I'm running a 883/1200 sporster muff and it doesn't backfire on shutdown at all. It pops and spits a little on hard decel, but I think that is fairly normal.
Let me know if you want it. How bowt' 3 bucks and we'll call it good.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 04/17/06 at 20:32:02

SeattleSavage, check your massages Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/17/06 at 20:52:23

got it, check yours

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #11 - 04/17/06 at 20:54:27

Tag, You're it! Grin

WWW   IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/17/06 at 21:14:11

Not to be childish.

But, YOUR IT! I QUIT!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 04/18/06 at 06:11:26

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Good thing I like to tinker Wink.

Excellent – read on sometimes where some get a bit discouraged as they want an exact setting and that’s just not possible – you can get close – say 95% of the way – but that last little bit does come from tinkering and trial and tinker and trial – and what you want in the end  - an example is the ’95 , it’s a commute bike that rarely sees even 60mph – what it needs to do is run as cool as possible in the summer heat 1-1.5 hours each way, protect me from flying objects, always start easily, get decent mileage, give a soft ride, handle and stop well. Last year it did 12k miles of this. You’ll notice maximum performance is not one of the goals as defined by peak power, acceleration, and speed. It took a lot of tinkering to get it this way – but its oil temp runs 10c cooler, handles better, and will out stop the ’02 – the ’02 however will flat leave it in the dust.

Really fun stuff to do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:00:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suggestions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.