Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
38 mm Mikuni Roundslide help: won't idle (Read 12 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: 38 mm Mikuni Roundslide help: won't idle
Reply #15 - 04/12/06 at 08:39:53

Hey,  To anyone reading this thread besides Lancer and SR (he read it at least once!):

BTW I got a USED carb from Lancer, NOT a NEW one.

...don't want to scare off any one...

Lancer:  Any suggestions until the new valve comes?

Also,  I put in the 310 main... still too big... stumbles and cuts out at the top, btu I'm getting more of the top end back as I go to smaller jets.  Will install a 300 main today...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 04/12/06 at 09:58:52

I kind of stumped right now.  Is there any possibility of an air leak around the carb anywhere?  The needle, needle jet, main jet, & pilot jet are all new.  I believe the gasket on the bowl was new too if I remember right ??  Check the rubber gasket on the carb top.  It seemed that it was OK when I looked at it but I could have assumed too much with it.  If those things are OK then we are back with the needle valve again.

According to the tuning chart the #310 main jet is what is called for at 4000' above sea level. but if you engine wants it leaner then make it leaner.  If you need smaller jets than the #300 let me know, I have a #280 & #290 in the box.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 04/12/06 at 10:05:25

I will test for air leaks at the screw on cap, rubber flange, and air filter.  The float bowl gasket seems in good shape/new.

I previously checked for an air leak at the rubber flange by spraying carb cleaner at the interface and listening for an rpm increase... nothing.

As far as the 310 goes, it may be related to the float problem somehow... just too darn much fuel...  don't worry about the jets.  I can get them easily and cheaply in town...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 04/12/06 at 14:29:40

Hmmm, I'm gonna need to check mine also.  I finally got the vacuum port put back on and it's pretty solid now.  Prior to that, she wouldn't run unless I had her on PRI and I prefer the vacuum setup.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 04/13/06 at 08:16:52

I put mine on prime.  Seems to have "fixed" the problem...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 04/13/06 at 10:24:52

I never find any gas dripping or any evidence that it has... just that I can get a very slight amount on my fingertip by tapping the ends of the vent tubes after a ride.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 04/13/06 at 10:58:26

yep, me too (now).  However, if I go outside right now, 4 hours after I got off it, there is gas at the bottom of the tubes...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 04/13/06 at 11:38:40

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
yep, me too (now).  However, if I go outside right now, 4 hours after I got off it, there is gas at the bottom of the tubes...

Hopefully you turned the petc0ck off of PRI when you parked.  If you left it on PRI, it stands a much greater chance of overflowing just sitting there.

vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 04/13/06 at 12:58:37

Yeah, it's on "RUN."  But there is still the leak-drip-leak-drip going on...  Angry

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 04/13/06 at 17:50:40

I get the leak-drip thing as well, but I think it is from the pet c o c k  loosing  its ability to seal properly, so I just turn it to the off position.  I have noticed these last months that even then it still leaks a little...I am looking at replacing the whole thing now.

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/13/06 at 19:16:26

sounds like the petcock is both of you guys problem. but don't buy a new one the guy at the motorcylce shop told me last week , there is a rebuild kit for them

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 04/19/06 at 09:48:40

From "Carbs": http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Lancer wrote:

I just found some interesting info on float level and tuning and will get it posted here shortly.  I think it may help your situation.

OK, the guideline I found suggests that if the engine is acting like it is too rich at full throttle, then lower the fuel level by 1mm in the bowl.  Then test ride to see if you have improvement.

End

I just want to keep all the info in one place...

Allright, so, like I said, above, the float height is presently 17mm, the bottom end of spec.  So I need to move it to 16mm, correct?

What do I need to bend?  The float arm?  leave the center tab alone?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 04/20/06 at 12:23:48

bump significant changes...

IP Logged
Tim Krantz

Reply #28 - 04/21/06 at 09:57:13

Just wondering what air filter are you using on the Mikuni..... I was thinking of a sock type, or K&N. If K&N, does it have to have an angular tube-to air cleaner? What about the crancase breather??

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #29 - 04/21/06 at 10:16:04

Yep, KN filter.  I don't know the aprt # offhand as I got it from lancer.  If you want to use a KN pod with the stock carb, it is RU-1250.  Breather filter should be available at any HD place.  Mine was made by drag specialties.  I orginally put it here:

but I cut up the air box some more and stuffed it in there.

I think some folks are running the straight round KNs, but not real sure how they forced them in there.  For me, removing the battery case and mangling the air box was the way to go.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:55:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 38 mm Mikuni Roundslide help: won't idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.