Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Alignment (Read 6 times)
Gramps
Ex Member

Cam Chain Alignment
03/25/06 at 19:14:26

I am putting the cam & chain back in my engine. According to the Clymers manual you align a "T" mark with an index mark on the crankcase by turning the crankshaft. I don't have the left hand crankcase cover off so I can't see the marks to align. Is there some other way to position the crankshaft, such as top dead center, while aligning the cam index marks with the top surface of the cylinder head?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Cam Chain Alignment
Reply #1 - 03/25/06 at 21:36:26

There is a mark at 3 PM on both the rotor and cover when the crank key way is lined up with the cylinder (about 12 clock). That puts the piston at TDC and as long as you have the cam with the lobes down in the oil pocket and the cam mark correct it should work. I tightened the crank gear retainer nut the wrong way taking it off and cracked the cast gear behind the crank gear so am waiting parts again. Also discovered the nut on the clutch basket was finger tight but held in position by the bend over lock washer. Some fretting on the thrust washer so ordered the washer, lock washer , crank gear and spacer and dished washer that goes under the gear retaining nut. Will get back on that project next week.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/06 at 08:20:43

I am having the same issue, I'm sure taking the left crankcase cover will give you a more accurate tdc than using the alignment marks under the small valve timing inspection cover. (alternator rotor cover) But is it that critical, could using the marks on the alternator rotor shaft be sloppy enough to make the timing chain a tooth off?

Kev

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/26/06 at 08:28:13

Does anyone have a Suzuki shop manual (not a clymer) they can check with on that?

thnks,

Kev

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 03/26/06 at 09:16:31

Just use a screw driver in the spark plug hole. Find the TDC, install the cam with the lobes DOWN and now You have TDCC.
Don't worry about being just a little off. You can not be a little off- it has to be a lot to make You mess up.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/26/06 at 12:38:05

Thanks for the info Slavy. I tend to go a little overboard on everything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 15:18:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Alignment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.