Send Topic Print
Best saddlebags (Read 30 times)
tonefight
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Central, Pa
Best saddlebags
03/20/06 at 15:58:02

Hey all, I bought my wife some saddlebags for her S40 last year, they aren't a great fit and I'm considering using hers and buying her new. So since I didn't ask the first time who is using what ? There's so many to choose from, pics would be great aslo. I used the search and found some but though I might get better results by asking.
I'll let ya look at a picture of her in return for your troubles.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: Best saddlebags
Reply #1 - 03/20/06 at 16:04:14

I have a set of Suzuki bags with Suzuki brackets. They fit.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/20/06 at 16:08:42

I use Willie and Max Compact Slant Studded Saddlebags.  Excellent price and top notch craftsmanship.

IP Logged
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Reply #3 - 03/20/06 at 16:39:33

Willie and Max for me. Highest quality genuine immitation leather a good shopper can buy. Plus they look great. I got the large non slanted because I never intend to carry a passenger anyway. Room for stuff...

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 03/20/06 at 17:01:25

tonefight wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey all, I bought my wife some saddlebags for her S40 last year, they aren't a great fit and I'm considering using hers and buying her new. So since I didn't ask the first time who is using what ? There's so many to choose from, pics would be great aslo. I used the search and found some but though I might get better results by asking.
I'll let ya look at a picture of her in return for your troubles.

It depends on what your wanting to carry. I boughts some small bags on ebay for ten bucks. enough room to carry lunch and a few other items but not large enough to handle a gallon of milk.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 03/20/06 at 17:22:11

Don't know about best but pretty good are these that are posted in the tech section the mediums are fairly small @8.5x11x6

TourMaster Nylon Saddlebags (medium) and matching fork bag.  I love them!  Good quality nylon and leather trim.  The zip off feature will be great for overnight trips and velcro closure means no messing with buckles.  Small enough for the savage but big enough to hold my half hemet.  
http://www.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/store/product/F-8875_Nylon_Cruis...  

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 03/20/06 at 17:57:36

I bought a pair of Willie & Max Raptor Compact Slant bags. They fit well and look good, IMHO.  (You can get them in white with black trim, too.)

I have them attached to the supports with 10" bungie cords now, but plan on using velcro in the future.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/20/06 at 19:17:09

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I bought a pair of Willie & Max Raptor Compact Slant bags. They fit well and look good, IMHO.  (You can get them in white with black trim, too.)

I have them attached to the supports with 10" bungie cords now, but plan on using velcro in the future.

Just a question, Steve.  What supports do you have on your bike?  Are they the Savage ones, that mount more toward the rear of the bike, or the S40 ones that mount towards the front of the bike?

I ordered the Savage ones, but received the S40 ones for my Savage.  They fit fine, no problem there.  However, I'm not satisfied at all with the way the Willie and Max bags secure to the supports.  My left bag wants to flop a bit.  I'm using the zip ties supplied with the bag, and I'm trying to figure out a better way to secure them to the supports so it both looks and functions better.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 03/20/06 at 20:21:40

911Radioman,

I have the older Savage saddlebag supports that mount with the middle and rearmost bolts.

I had the bags tied on with cable ties. They flopped around a bit and I didn't like the idea that I'd have to cut the cable ties each time I took the bags off.

Then I tried small 10" bungie cords. I looped one bungie cord from the front D ring, through the front loop, behind the support, up through the rear loop and attached to the rear D ring. I tied a second bungie cord to the bottom bar of the support and attached the ends to the D rings. I'm not real happy with this mounting either because they still flop around.

Next I plan on trying some Velcro.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/20/06 at 20:43:26

Yeah, it doesn't make for a real acceptable mounting.  I'm gonna have to rack my brain and see what I can devise on mine too.

I'm considering something similar to what this guy did on his Honda Rebel.  If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page, you can see where he basically hard mounted them, did away with the yoke by using some sort of clamp around the saddlebag support and then bolted them to the bag.  

His Willie and Max bags were the old style before they came out with the stiffeners they use today, so you could disregard the lining he made for it.

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/millenniumrebel/RebelBaggage.html

Tom

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #10 - 03/22/06 at 16:26:19

Tom,

Looks like he put holes in the bag to pass the bolts through. I don't want to do that.  But using the small clamp on the support is a good way to attach something.  

Maybe I take a small piece of sheet metal, attach it to the support with those type of clamps, and then glue one side of  the velcro strip to the strip. That would be pretty solid attachment that is easily removed.

Steve

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/22/06 at 16:50:07

I'm still exploring my options so I still haven't figured out how I want to do it.  I was just showing you how this guy did it.  I'm not super crazy about putting holes in my bags either.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/26/06 at 17:07:02

Got the bags more securely mounted Thursday.  I did wind up using 2 - 3/8" rubber coated P-clamps.  

What I did was I drilled two small holes in the backs of the bags, using 1/4"x20 machine screws and 1/4" fender washers on each side of the bag (interior/exterior to prevent pull though of the screw.  

The holes I drilled were so small I had to thread the machine screw in, which is what I wanted to help lessen the opportunity for leaking.  I then used a small amount of silicone on the backs of each fender washer and then tightened it down.  Bags hold tight to the supports and look really good.  You can hardly tell I even mounted them that way unless you get down there and look.

I did retain my yoke for added support when heavy materials are carried in the bag.  That said, I only used two P-clamps per side down at the bottom of the bag, and their only purpose is to hold the bags to the supports.  I'm pleased with the result and it was a cheap modification. Cheesy

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #13 - 03/26/06 at 21:02:38

Tom,

That does seem like it would be very secure. The silicone sealant is a good idea.

Since I want to be able to easily remove the bags, I still plan to use velcro.  The P clamps started me thinking that I should attach a stiff metal plate to the supports with P clamps,  put velcro on that plate, and the velcro on the bags to match that.

Steve

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #14 - 03/26/06 at 21:14:45

I use leather shoe strings to attach the bags to the brackets. The holes are exactly the same size as the string. I don't know what the big deal with holes in the bags; if it rains, water will get in other ways. As a matter of fact, I should put a couple of holes on the bottom for drainage.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 15:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.