Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electrical Problem (Read 8 times)
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Electrical Problem
03/20/06 at 07:17:37

yesterday i put the engine back in, and hooked all the wires up etc.  somewhere along the line i'm not sure what happened, but with all the wires hooked in, im having issues.  when i put the key in, the right fron turn signal stays lit and the other three won't light up when i move the switch. also the horn doesn't work, but the high beam/ low beam switch works and the headlight is fine too.  the license plate light and brake light also work fine.  

anyone have a problem like this? any advice?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Electrical Problem
Reply #1 - 03/20/06 at 08:49:56

Sounds like a short to me.  Do you knwo how to use a voltmeter (or in this case, an ohm-meter)?  I beleive there are wiring diagrams in the tech sect.  I would look for small resistances where there should be large ones...

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 03/20/06 at 09:40:24

USCG Cremeans wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
any advice?

When trying to troubleshoot electrical circuits, after a visual/physical inspection, divide and conquer. What I mean by this is after looking to see if all the wires are connected (correctly?) pull on the wires to make sure none are loose, then take 1/2 of the circuit branches away by either removing a fuse, disconnecting a wire or whatever you need to do. Does the problem go away (get worse)? If it goes away, the problem is in the other 1/2 of the wiring. If it doesn't go away, disconnect 1/2 again and check. This is the quickest way to troubleshoot problems if fuses aren't blowing or smoke isn't coming out of the circuit Wink

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/06 at 13:08:42

the part that b ugs me the most is that it was working fine when i took it apart, except for the horn.  ???

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 03/20/06 at 13:58:50

the part that b ugs me the most is that it was working fine when i took it apart, except for the horn.  ???

Disconnect the horn first. Then follow the suggestions above.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 03/22/06 at 12:42:53

status?  Everyone loves an electrical problem/puzzle- especially if it's on someone else's ride Cheesy  If your right front signal is actually blinking and the other three aren,'t, would that suggest maybee the switch or nearest connection to it.  If one blinks, then its not juice, and it,s not the relay I wouldn't think.  Best of luck.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/23/06 at 05:09:16

doesn't blink, just stays on.  Well i don't have work this morning so im going to get it all squared away if i can, ill keep it updated  Wink

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/23/06 at 05:54:27

ok well i got all of them except the front left to turn on.  when i flick the switch for right blinker both front and back turn on but do not blink.  when i flick the switch for the left blinker the back turns on and the front is dead.  I checked the front left bulb and on of the two filaments is broken.  but im not sure why the other filament didnt light up when the bike was on "running lights" the right side did with no problem.

Going to the store right now to replace this bulb and see if that cures anything.

another update within an hour.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/23/06 at 08:53:07

ok well i have both right side blinkers working.  when i hit the switch they both blink etc. when i put the switch back to normal, the right front is still lit.  When i turn on the left blinkers, the front bulb is dead because i couldn't get a bulb, but the back lights up, but doesn't blink.

Horn still isn't working as well.

Does it make a big difference if i have everything in the circuit hooked in : speedo, headlight, etc.  ive tried with both and the lights seem to do the same thing when those are hooked up and not hooked up so im leaving them unnatatched since they are in the way right now.

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/23/06 at 16:44:03

I rewired my bike from the seat back and from the seat up I just did repairs. My horn and headlight were not working and both problems were caused by one wire right at the large connector about mid way under the tank. the wire just had a bad connect. The light staying on is most likely a short between two wires. Check also where the wires come out under the front seat mount the can get squished there. Did you rewire the blinkers or just unplug them. If you rewired and didn't put them back exactly the same a bulb staying lit could definitely be a symptom.

Kevin

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/23/06 at 18:09:17

just unplugged and checked a few connections. also charging the battery got the right side to actually blink on and off since im guesing the relay or whatever it is wasn't getting enough power.  I'm assuming there is a short somewhere causing the front blinkers to still not work appropriatly.  I'm going to tackle it more tommorrow morning.

Thanks for all the help Wink

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 03/24/06 at 01:35:31

just unplugged and checked a few connections. also charging the battery got the right side to actually blink on and off since im guesing the relay or whatever it is wasn't getting enough power.  I'm assuming there is a short somewhere causing the front blinkers to still not work appropriatly.  I'm going to tackle it more tommorrow morning.

Thanks for all the help Wink

To resume:
RH side of the blinkers work - The blinker relay and both front and rear bulbs are fine.
( If the tank dash is not connected the blinking rate will be a bit slower because of the lesser load)

For the LH side:
Check if the wires of the driving lights and the blinker wires have not been switched.

When you have a short, meaning + and - are touching each other you will blow a fuse......

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/24/06 at 06:26:00

charging the battery and changing the front right bulb and checking connections have solved this mystery.  I beleive some combination of the three has caused this most of it due to the almost dead battery and the burnt out bulb.  

this problem was one part broken bulb, two parts stupidity.  Grin

but the horn still doesn't work.  It didnt when i got the bike, but i have replaced the old one with another i bought on ebay that was claimed to have worked when taken off the other bike.  Can i test it somehow?

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/24/06 at 06:26:59

Oh yeah, my other question about the electrical jumbo involves a 2004 left hand switch i bought.  My bike is an 87 so the connection under the tank for the two switches is a tad bit different, how hard will it be to make the newer one work? anyone do this before?

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/24/06 at 15:06:32

to test the horn you just run twelve volts directely to it from the/a battery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 11:21:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.