Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Lower suspension?
Reply #15 - 03/12/06 at 12:39:51

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I wonder if removing the rubber blocks under the seat pan might help. They're nearly an inch in thickness. Might make the seat a little buzzy, I don't know.

Maybe cutting 'em in half might work though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #16 - 03/12/06 at 18:46:21

Odd thought, but has anyone eve tried smaller diameter wheels? Would be  pia  to do, but could save same.

IP Logged
650savagegirl
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/12/06 at 19:02:34

Well, I'm just under 5' and I have to tipy toe...of course the springs will wear in a little and that will help.  I was thinking I would shave the seat some and install a gel pad or something of that nature to make up for the loss of stock cushion.  The dealer said the shocks will probably settle about 3/8" which will help.  I have rode off-road...since I was 8  Tongue  But the bikes I was on I could always sit flat-footed.  I agree with the tipy toe is dangerous on uneven surfaces and hills... JMHO.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #18 - 03/13/06 at 12:35:47

Make sure the shock are set to one of the lowest positions. The bottom of the spring holder will lower when you turn the cam adjuster. Use the end of the the screwdriver blade in the tool kit. It will soften the springs for more compression and a lower height when you are sitting on it. There is only about 3.5" of rear wheel travel anyway and it should be about mid position when you are sitting on the bike ready to ride.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
650savagegirl
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/31/06 at 10:20:51

Well...I hate to say it...but i'm going to have to lower the ol' girl!  I know I saw a "lowering kit" for the S40.  It was basically a shock relocation kit that set the shocks at an lower angle, thus lowering the whole bike.  The problem is... I can't remember where I saw them!  If anyone knows where I can get them and the link to the webpage that would be super!!  Thanks in advance!!  Kiss

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #20 - 03/31/06 at 13:59:56

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If you need some extra room, I would work on lowering the seat with a thinner but better quality foam and/or gel, but I would not lower the suspension.  The Savage is short on suspension to begin with and removing any of the little it has will have drastic consequences on your quality of ride.  Most Savage owners, who do change the suspension, add to it...not take away.

Savagegirl, keep in mind most of these people that raise the suspension bought a bike that was way too small for them. Upwards of 6' and 200+ lbs.
My S40 with flat bars will allow the forks to be pushed up through the triple trees.
As for the rear end.........
I read somewhere that the suzuki gel seat actually lowers the seat height an inch or so.

http://www.sotmc.com/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=81

Is another option (cut springs)

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #21 - 03/31/06 at 14:46:49

i would try to find those lowering brackets,and do it the right way.i cut the shocks on my old truck, to sit it on the ground,it rode like sh!t.buy quality componants and u'll save time and money.

as us mini truckers say "he who dies with the lowest truck wins"

raise=easy

lowering=hard

thats why lowering is so cool Grin

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 03/31/06 at 16:48:44

[quote author=necropsy link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1141997379;start=0#20 date=03/31/06 at 13:59:56]
My S40 with flat bars will allow the forks to be pushed up through the triple trees.

The S40 will allow it, but the Savage won't?  A previous poster said his '96 wouldn't.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 03/31/06 at 17:30:18

650savagegirl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
 I know I saw a "lowering kit" for the S40.  It was basically a shock relocation kit that set the shocks at an lower angle, thus lowering the whole bike.  The problem is... I can't remember where I saw them!  If anyone knows where I can get them and the link to the webpage that would be super!!  Thanks in advance!!  Kiss

I'd also be interested; I've never seen 1 for this bike.  But, if it doesn't already exist, it wouldn't be that big a deal to have 1 made, as it's a pretty simple design.

IP Logged
jrm8486
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/31/06 at 18:55:44

If anyone finds a lowering kit let me know too, I have a friend who owns a shop called Profile Customs down here in Florida who fabricates everything for bikes I'm going to try to talk him into making a set.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 11/30/06 at 19:59:39

jrm8486 FSO X2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If anyone finds a lowering kit let me know too, I have a friend who owns a shop called Profile Customs down here in Florida who fabricates everything for bikes I'm going to try to talk him into making a set.

Quote:

Have you done that yet?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 11/30/06 at 23:06:07

I am guessing that with your past experience in being short you have already considered using the thickest sole you can find for your riding boot. Remember when the place you are stopping isn't level to position yourself to make it easy. When the ground slopes down o the right, the left foot goes down. If it slopes down to the left, the right foot goes down. Just gotta make sure if it's the left foot down ya stick it in gear before ya stop. By narrowing the seat a bit where the legs are trying to squeeze it as they reach for the ground you can get your feet closer to the ground without trimming the seat lower just under your buns.The seat cover on my S 40 is just stapled on as well as I can tell. I would think getting it off & working on the foam wouldn't be too hard. I hear electric knives make quick work of foam rubber. The same cover can be reinstalled with just the purchase of a staple gun.

I am betting that with hours in the saddle your need for the lowering changes. If you have any daredevil in you at all you will soon be dragging pegs in corners & will want the bike back up where it came from. Dirt riders strike me as daredevils. .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:48:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lower suspension?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.