Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
% Performance Increase w/ Rejetting vs Spacer mod? (Read 50 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
% Performance Increase w/ Rejetting vs Spacer mod?
02/12/06 at 06:53:52

I'm sure it is on here somewhere.  I'm sorry I can't find it.  I'm wondering what the measurable difference in performance is when you rejet, do the white spacer mod, and get a new exhaust say like a Supertrapp.

I talked to the Suzuki service guy Friday and he said you only get a 10% difference in power w/ the rejet, 20% w/ rejet and exhaust.  He didn't even want to talk about white spacer mods.  

Will I screw up the fuel air mix if I put on the K & N air filter before doing the mods?  Like I could ride on the snow right now anyway.

The way that you guys tell it, your experience is like night and day.  I'm trying to reconcile these before I take the drill to the carberator.  It makes me nervous.

Thanks for your help.

Biking B

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: % Performance Increase w/ Rejetting vs Spacer
Reply #1 - 02/12/06 at 07:01:44

20% would be night/day difference and without a dyno all I can do is go by seat of the pants feel - yes it makes a big difference - 20% sounds too high me.

On the K&N filter - I sure wouldn't do it with out a re-jet

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #2 - 02/12/06 at 07:18:03

What about rejetting vs rejetting & white spacer mod?

More difference with the new exhaust?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
bikingb   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 02/12/06 at 07:37:56

It all works together - if you just rejet and up the mixture you have dealt with the very low throttle and very high throttle and ignored the mid range when the bike spends most of it's time - now a larger main jet does effect the midrange some but pulling the needle out of the way sooner effects it far more - that is what the white spacer mod does

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 02/12/06 at 08:42:06

There was a dyno test posted by Odar last year comparing a stock motor to one with a performance exhaust and rejet. The modified setup put out about 12% more than stock if I remember right. I just did a search on "Odar" and found it,  just don't know how to copy the graph.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 10:35:58

Odar's Savage site...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v124/Odar1/Odars%20Savage/

Odar's dyno chart page from his site...

You will see that the hp went from 25.1 to 33.0 hp, and the torque from 40.9 to 49.9.  These readings are at the rear wheel...so this is TRUE POWER.  This works out to be a 30% increase in hp and a 25% increase in torque.

This is with a Raask straight drag pipe and a rejetted and well tuned carburetor.

Odar has a very fine Savage and it runs very well.  
Note, however, that it is not maxed out.  With a performance carb like a Mikuni or Amal roundslide, or one of the flatslide carbs, and a larger header pipe with a supertrapp muffler for example, the power/torque gains can be even more.  Throw in a performance cam and boost it to another level.  A Savage has the potentioal to be safely taken up to the 50 hp  range, which is what Suzuki should have done in the first place.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 02/12/06 at 11:43:31

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
What about rejetting vs rejetting & white spacer mod?

More difference with the new exhaust?

You want to do all three. Here's why: There are three circuits in our Mikunis.

1. Pilot Circuit (with slow mixture screw) - 0->1/8th throttle
2. Needle and needle jet - 1/8th->3/4 throttle
3. Main jet - 3/4->WFO

So you remove the cap from the slow mixture screw and richen the mixture...this takes care of the pilot circuit. You reduce the size of the white spacer...this takes care of the mid range. You put in a bigger main jet...this takes care of the top end.

20% sounds about right. My bike with a Supertrapp and a rejet hauls butt 8) Trust me, you will be very satisfied. In stock form these bikes run outa steam on the interstate. I haven't checked the top end on mine but I have no doubt it will pull strong to 100 mph+.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/12/06 at 12:36:35

I'm still new to all the rejetting stuff.  I've gotten the idle mixture mod done, the white spacer mod done.  Have yet to do the main jet mod -- my question is this -- what performance gain will one see by going ahead with the main jet mod yet staying with the stock can on the Savage?

I'm not planning on staying with the stock can, but it may be awhile before funds (and the wifey) let me spend more money after just buying the bike! Cheesy

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 02/12/06 at 12:49:17

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
what performance gain will one see by going ahead with the main jet mod yet staying with the stock can on the Savage?

IMO, with the stock muffler (can?), your original main jet should be fine for now. Not a whole lot to gain by going larger. I'd probably hold off changing it until you do a muffler swap. You probably saw a noticable difference by doing the white spacer and slow mixture screw. These bikes are pretty lean in those areas.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 02/12/06 at 12:51:33

I don't believe You will see any top end gain. The main jet controlls basically top end performance. If You have still the original exhaust, the exhaust will restrict You. You will probably just run richer and depending on the main jet it might even hurt the performance.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/12/06 at 14:02:55

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
IMO, with the stock muffler (can?), your original main jet should be fine for now. Not a whole lot to gain by going larger. I'd probably hold off changing it until you do a muffler swap. You probably saw a noticable difference by doing the white spacer and slow mixture screw. These bikes are pretty lean in those areas.

That's what I needed to know.  I'll just hold off on the main jet until I'm ready to swap the muffler.  Thanks!

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #11 - 02/12/06 at 17:27:22

Do you still get about a hundred miles to the tank?

bikingb   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/12/06 at 21:19:08

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That's what I needed to know.  I'll just hold off on the main jet until I'm ready to swap the muffler.  Thanks!

I'd just hold off until you could do both.  Our bikes are very lean and it seems to vary depending on the bike so the K&N need a rejet.  But it's so easy you could try it out pretty easy.  But do the muffler and jets as soon as you can.  I don't disagree at all with the %20 figure and I am inclined to think Lancers figures are more correct.  I also think the top-end(55-90) is one area it benifits the most as before there would be little response at highway speeds and after there has always been plenty.  The Savage is very receptive to these modifications.  It's not like putting a fart can on a car, or some loud pipes and pretending that your ride is now fast.  It really makes a very noticable difference.

Oh and you don't have to spring for a supertap.  Sportster mufflers will acomplish the same thing for very cheap.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 02/12/06 at 22:25:57

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Do you still get about a hundred miles to the tank?

Yes, until you hit reserve that is - unless your testing your bike a great deal - i've tested my a couple of times enough to only get 80 til reserve

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/12/06 at 23:12:19

Hammy211 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Oh and you don't have to spring for a supertap.  Sportster mufflers will acomplish the same thing for very cheap.

What about the different HD model number mufflers I'm seeing over on eBay?  I think one was 60605-97, IIRC.  Will that one work OK?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 02:41:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › % Performance Increase w/ Rejetting vs Spacer mod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.