Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag Brackets - An exercise in torture (Read 8 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Saddlebag Brackets - An exercise in torture
02/15/06 at 15:50:35

Well, I got my brackets from the friendly UPS man today and went to work installing them.  

First off, evidently the old style brackets for the Savage that mount to the center bolt and the rear bolt next to the turn signals are no longer available.  The ones I received were for the S40, which uses the forward-most bolt and the center bolt.  No biggie though...

Tried removing the bolts as the bike sat, got the center one out with no problem, but the front one was a different issue.  After several attempts, I broke out the floor jack, borrowed my other sweetheart (my wife), and jacked the bike up in the center after pulling the shocks off.

This should've been the way I went from the get-go!  But what do they say?  You live and learn...

Now I know if I decide to replace the shocks how incredibly simple that will be.

Once I dropped the shocks, I was able to raise the bike up on the jack with my wife steadying the bike, the swingarms dropped right on down and the rest was history.

I will say this.  Suzuki doesn't think when they package things.  They included replacement bolts for the front bolt, which is too short when installing the brackets.  Well, Suzuki's bolt is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too long, so I had to make a quick trip into town (5 minutes) to the hardware store before they closed and get a metric bolt that was in between the OEM bolt and the replacement one that came with the brackets.

I did take the extra security step of placing a lock washer behind the acorn nuts on the front bolts to ensure that nothing backs off due to vibration.

Made a nice installation, but I need to do some fine tuning on the bags.  I use Willie and Max Compact Slants, and the bag tabs just don't match well to the brackets and I can't draw them down as tightly as I'd like them.  However, that's a minor detail and can be worked around.

It did take a bit to trim the yoke to fit around the rectifier that is under the pillion, but a trusty utility knife took care of that in fast order.

Any of you that use the W&M Compact Slants, what did you do to best secure the bags to the brackets?  I can't draw them down TOO tight, as it distorts the bag and makes it look like crap.  My thinking is I may need to fabricate a cross piece that will clamp to the brackets and extend to either side of the bag to pull this off.

Tom

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Re: Saddlebag Brackets - An exercise in torture
Reply #1 - 02/15/06 at 18:06:41

Sounds similar to my experience with the brackets. The included Suzuki bolts were too long, so I screwed through the bike's acorn nuts. Rather than get different bolts I bought some washers and some new metric acorn nuts to make it work. So, maybe I was lucky with only one trip to the hardware store. Nonetheless, the idea was that this should have fit perfectly and it didn't, not hardly. Not to mention trying to work underneath the fender to secure the bolts. Well, it's done, though I thought this very simple operation didn't bode well for more complicated ones.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/06 at 18:19:04

Well, for anybody else who will come along and do this, I can testify that dropping the shocks makes all the difference in the world in getting those blasted brackets on!

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/15/06 at 19:12:52

I use zip-ties to hold my bags to the bracket. They are not permanent.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 02/16/06 at 05:42:17

I can sympathize with the accessibility problems though I must have gotten the older version because they fit properly the first time.  I didn't bother to lift the bike though and my knuckles and wrists paid the price - but I got them installed the stupid way.  I removed them later (this time lifting the bike) when I tried a trunk for a while and reinstalled them a few months ago.  The huge difference was that I reinstalled them after upgrading to the 12.5" Progressive shocks.  Now I can install/remove them easily without lifting the bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/17/06 at 14:22:39

Yeah well I added my brackets without using the sissybar.  I didnt realize I needed to get some extra nuts and bolts.   Then after my turn signal shorted and burned out my blinker relay, I had to drill individual holes for the wires, resplice them ect.

Huge pain in the butt just for brackets but its pretty good peace of mind for safety.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #6 - 02/17/06 at 16:16:18

I marked two holes behind the saddle bags where the bottom of the brackets and the bags meet (one on the top and one on the bottom of the bracket). Then I tie the bags to the brackets with excess leather strings that came with the bags to keep the bags from flapping in the wind Cheesy

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/17/06 at 17:35:20

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I marked two holes behind the saddle bags where the bottom of the brackets and the bags meet (one on the top and one on the bottom of the bracket). Then I tie the bags to the brackets with excess leather strings that came with the bags to keep the bags from flapping in the wind Cheesy

So you actually made a hole in your bag to secure them to the brackets?  Any problems with water leaking in?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 23:55:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag Brackets - An exercise in torture

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.