Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike broken . . . thoughts? (Read 5 times)
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

bike broken . . . thoughts?
02/07/06 at 10:15:04

So, i'm riding my bike to work today, when all of the sudden it just dies.  No special noises or anything crazy.  

I didn't have much time to troubleshoot (had to walk the rest of the way), but I did a little.

Electrical seems fine.  Lights work, starter works.

Here's where it gets a little odd.  The starter works, but it doesn't seem to be catching anything.  Just spins.  

And, when i release the clutch but have the bike in gear, it's fairly easy to push the bike forward and backward.  Not all the way easy like it is with the clutch in.  But easier than i think it should be.

Did something break causing me to lose compression?

Any ideas?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: bike broken . . . thoughts?
Reply #1 - 02/07/06 at 10:22:07

it sure sounds like u lost compression.is there any oil any where on the cylinder jug? if so it's prob the head gasket.

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #2 - 02/07/06 at 10:49:51

Didn't see any oil anywhere.  I looked for it.  

Might be worth mentioning that I just did some repair work on the motor.  Only has about 100 miles on it since i put the top back on it.  I took the motor apart because 2 of the cylinder head cover bolts had stripped out.  Used helicoils to repair.  Just put a brand new head gasket on it.  

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 02/07/06 at 12:43:16

I don't want to be the messenger to give You the bad news, but it realy sounds like a problem with cam chain- camshaft- valves.  Somebody not too long ago posted a question about engine head. Let's hope You are lucky and I am wrong .

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/06 at 15:49:55

yeah sounds like when my cam chain broke andthe piston bent my valves.  I hope its not that serious but it doesnt sound like anything really easy to fix.  

What kind of engine work were u doing exactly again?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 02/08/06 at 07:46:33

You are describing the best case scenario. I have an engine like this that is sitting under the car-port.
Brocken valve,that cracked the piston , flipped and dug itself in the head.  When You draw the line -  bad cam chain tentioner, brocken cam chain, unusable head, piston, that needs to be replaced. All of this, because of the fact that the "genius" removed the air filter like a perormance mod and after that was cheap to fix the rattling cam chain.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #6 - 02/08/06 at 10:02:13

The engine work i did was due to an oil leak.  I thought i had the infamous plug leak, but as i got the motor apart, i found it was worse.

one of the long cylinder head cover bolts (which extends through the cylinder head and into the cylinder) was stripped.  Most likely, someone worked on it before me, and overtightened it at some point.

So, i had to take the head off.  I drilled and tapped the hole in the cylinder, and put a helicoil in it.  Everything was go to go.  I was able to put everything back together . . . torqued up fine.  

Got the bike reassembled, and put 100 miles on the motor.  Then, i was just sitting there yesterday, and it shut off with no warning.  

ugh.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 02/08/06 at 10:07:19

no rattle no ugly noise none of that?

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #8 - 02/08/06 at 10:28:15

nope . . . no weird noises or lurching or anything . . . just shut off.  At first, i thought it was electrical.

But, i looked at it more last night.  It definitely has a severe loss of compression.  I can put it in gear and push it easily.  not quite as easily as in neutral, but very easy (not a transmission problem).

Maybe i'll get lucky at the problem is just that the spark plug came loose.  heh.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 02/08/06 at 10:50:12

could just pop'd out - seems well...er... difficult
your sure going to need to take a look see - unless the savage has figured out how to silently eat valves you may get lucky here

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 02/08/06 at 11:20:40

If it ain't a loose spark plug, it may be a holed piston.

Were you running a hotter plug than recommended?

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:53:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike broken . . . thoughts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.