Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shock length belt tension (Read 15 times)
Edarling

Shock length belt tension
02/06/06 at 06:37:28

I posted a similar reply earlier, but thought of an additional question
 I am very close to buying an '06 S40 as soon as my dealer gets them in march, as a taller (6'2")rider I am probably going to immediately change to a longer shock (At least 11.5 progressive) to get a higher seat height.  I am concerned that a longer shock may effect the belt tesion, possibly putting undue pressure on the countershaft bearings leading to premature failure.  Anyone have any experience with this???

Also: to what extent does this modification effect the steering geometry and handling characteristics??

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Shock length belt tension
Reply #1 - 02/06/06 at 07:39:46

I had 14" shocks on for a while, and now have 12.5" units on my Savage.  I did not have a problem with the big ones and don't have a problem now.  I did check and adjust the tension for each set but the adjustment was small.  So be at peace with this...no problemo.

As far as the steering is concerned, I did notice a slight difference with the taller shocks.  The steering is a little quicker than before, which I like.  I am performance oriented and like the change.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/06/06 at 07:56:03

So, does anyone know what are the longest shocks that can be mounted without having to do any other mod like cutting the belt guard?  If stock is 10.5" can I go up to 12" without getting all complicated with other mods. A bit of basic spanner-ing (wrenching, I suppose I should translate) is one thing but chopping about the tinwear is quite another.  My main aim is not so much ride quality as adding a bit of extra leg room as I'm 6'1" and find lower back ache troubles me before monkey butt kicks in.  What Sluggo commented in another related thread is true: the more you ride the more you can ride - bit by bit these old bones are getting used to the position The Lettuce demands of me allowing me to ride further and further without discomfort.

IP Logged
edarling

Reply #3 - 02/06/06 at 08:08:12

Thanks for your prompt response, I am looking forward to getting this bike, as it is the only viable choice ina big bore single cyllinder street bike (looked at Buell blast, liked the ride, can't get past the NADA value vs. what harley dealers are willing to let them go for). I think this simple mod will greatly increase the comfort and utility of the machine. This board was a big influence in my choice of machine.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 02/06/06 at 08:15:30

When I had the 14" shocks on the bike, I did remove the belt guard because it would rub sometimes.  I chose not to cut it in case I changed the shocks later.  With the 12.5" shocks on the bike now I am looking to use  the belt guard again.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #5 - 02/06/06 at 10:09:29

On my mistress ( so my wife calls her) I installed 11.5 shocks and had to either revamp or take off the lower belt guard...I chose to remove.

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 02/06/06 at 10:16:52

Yup.  The 12.5" shocks caused rubbing on the guard for me.  I first modified it, then later removed it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/06/06 at 17:18:52

Cheesy
Rob it's all your fault.
Telling and showing us how good the bike looks with the taller shocks and now we are all going to get the tin snips out and mod the belt gaurd,
I got the dealer to swap shocks and I have the 412-4200C pair inbound. It may take awhile to get the courage up to make this mod if I have to make reciprocal mods. I am still in the warranty and don't want to void anything. Why did you have to mod the lower cover, versus upper? I would have thought with the height gain at the back the upper would .... oh I see, the lower is also moved up as the belt angle changes.
Darned physics.
Hmm.
How much did you have to mod the gaurd? I would hate to rub on the belt and ruin it.
More to ponder as to do or not do shock mod.
Bill in WTX

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 02/07/06 at 05:54:58

I first removed the lower guard entirely and you can see in the image below where I cut a small section from the lower front edge of the top guard.  This was functional but I didn't like the funky angle and exposed portion at the top front of the guard, so I just removed it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/07/06 at 06:36:08

I would be very wary of running any motorcycle without a guard over either the chain or belt based on a personal experience when I was riding my 1962 Harley 175 dirt bike and got a scrap of cloth that was on the ground caught in the chain.  It wound into the front sprocket, immediately locked up the back wheel and sent me into a 35 mph skid and crash.  Pulling  in the clutch in a case like that does no good either. Also I cringe at what would happen if any body parts or clothing became engaged in the belt pulley system.  The guards are there for a reason, be careful about pulling off safety equipment in the name of style. (after my wrist healed up and I got the new handle bars for the harley I made a chainguard for it from sheet metal)

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/07/06 at 06:43:40

I just bought a set of 412-4200C metric shocks 11.5".
I hope I don't have to cut on my chrome guard.
Eastern Performance Cycles has these new in the box for $163.95 shipped.

While I'm sharing- Performance International has K&N
SU-6595 for $35.75 shipped.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/07/06 at 15:54:04

I like the stock shocks because it seems with taller shocks the rear fender is too high and reminds me of a dirtbike or dualsport.  Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 02/07/06 at 16:47:20

go with the 11" 4233 4232 depending on load - very little lift and none of the oher issues with interference, oil level, kick stand, etc

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 02/08/06 at 01:20:08

I would have thought that more rear ride height would need a slacker belt.
That's my five pence worth.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/08/06 at 08:48:17

My experience with chain tesion is that if the countershaft sprocket is very far from the swing arm pivot, the tension in the chain varies depending on the amount the rear suspension is compressed, increasing the rear suspension travel varies the tension even more.  I have never owned a savage/s40 yet, just trying to plan ahead to "make it mine" once I get one this spring.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:43:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shock length belt tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.