Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheaper superbrace (Read 17 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

Cheaper superbrace
02/07/06 at 17:43:09

I really want a superbrace, but I just can't bring myself to shell out so much money for it.  Are all superbraces made for one specific bike?  Surely there are many with the same measurements.  What about having something frabricated?  It might not look as pretty, but seems that something could be made to do the job.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Cheaper superbrace
Reply #1 - 02/07/06 at 17:49:40

I've been wondering the same thing. Sometimes I wish I were a machinist on the side. Could have saved a ton of money over the years. I'm waiting to see how hard the taxman punches me this year before I order my Superbrace.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 02/07/06 at 18:17:10

I'm with you. If I had the resources I would be making all sorts of things, (I'd have to learn how first!).

I hope someday to have a garage filled with all the right 'stuff'. Then I can chop and bob at will.

IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #3 - 02/08/06 at 02:22:59

I had considered making a brace for my fathers savage and my intruder as I use to work in a machine shop and my father was a tool and die machinest  before he retired.

The problem is that I dont have access to a mill any longer  Undecided

I have the measurements for the braces, but by time I get the material and put in all the work....heck I have to wonder if I am really that far ahead.

I have been down to the superbrace shop a couple times talking to the folks there, but they do all their work with CNC machinery. So their labor is minimal.

I think the real cost is in the billet aluminum you would need for this.

With all this I ended up spending $125 for each brace, but man do they work well on the bikes. My fathers savage was really rough above 45-50 mph, but now with the brace I take it up to 75 and it is rock solid...so I dont feel so bad about the money now as we are spending time riding our bikes instead of trying to make a brace  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 02/08/06 at 07:42:17

I have spent a good bit of time trying to find a less expensive substitute for the superbrace but have come up short so far, and since I do not have the tools to make one, I am left with waiting for the funds to buy it.
This is a part that MUST BE PERFECT since it will affect steering, braking and control.  Our lives depend on it working properly, and not adversly affecting anything else.

I have decided to buy one.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/08/06 at 14:19:53

OK, so having one made seems out of the question unless you are able to competently do it yourself.  

What about the chance that the same superbrace is intended for many different bikes.  I have a hard time believing that measurements are different on every bike even though superbrace has a different part number for each bike.

FYI, there are superbraces for sale in an eBay store for $135.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 02/08/06 at 14:26:14

Maybe if the diameter and spacing of the forks are identical but that would have to be verified.  I don't know if they use differing thicknesses for different size bikes.  I would think it unlikely but always possible.  I'd think that if the forks were the exact same size and spacing that the brace would be the same.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #7 - 02/08/06 at 16:25:31

Hammy211 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
OK, so having one made seems out of the question unless you are able to competently do it yourself.  

What about the chance that the same superbrace is intended for many different bikes.  I have a hard time believing that measurements are different on every bike even though superbrace has a different part number for each bike.

FYI, there are superbraces for sale in an eBay store for $135.

Bought mine here for both the savage and my intruder at $125.95 ea....
http://www.i-bike.com/store/prdBuy.cfm?prd=3388

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:49:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cheaper superbrace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.