Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle deaths among troops returning from war (Read 7 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Motorcycle deaths among troops returning from war
02/06/06 at 09:38:10

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- More troops have died in off-duty motorcycle accidents since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, than have been killed in combat in Afghanistan over that same time, according to safety records.

Military commanders in North Carolina say the deaths are largely the result of boredom, bonus pay, and adrenalin to burn off after troops return from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nearly 350 troops have died on bikes since the 2001 terrorist attacks. That's compared to 259 killed while serving in Afghanistan.

Nearly 1,000 more troops have been injured on bikes.

<snip>

"Riders who have been in accidents have told us that it's the legal crack cocaine," said J.T. Coleman, a civilian spokesman for the Army's Combat Readiness Center in Fort Rucker, Ala., which tracks accidents among soldiers. "They say it gives them the same adrenaline rush they get driving their tank through Baghdad or whatever."  :'(   Comments?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Motorcycle deaths among troops returning from
Reply #1 - 02/06/06 at 21:37:16

How sad.

It's tough to come down from that combat "high."  Bikes have helped me through some really rough spots.

Say a prayer for the affected families.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 02/06/06 at 23:13:25

Comments....

High marks to spindoctors who wrote it.  Note the slithering between "wars in Iraq and Afghanistan" to "350 troops have died on bikes...  compared to 259 killed while serving in Afghanistan" then a final reference to "driving their tank through Baghdad" Iraq.

That is references to "Iraq and  Afghanistan", " Afghanistan", and then a final reference to Iraq.

The impression is that there are more motorcycle deaths than combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I am not sure if it is anti-motorcycle -- "Motorcycles kill more troops than Combat" -- or if it is pro-combat "Military Combat is safer than riding a motorcycle."

Either way it is a disgusting and intentional misleading of the number of motorcycle deaths versus combat deaths.  Since it came from Camp LeJeune I assume it is to belittle the risk of death in combat and thus misleading our troups of the risks they face in combat.

And, as with all such motorcycle death statistics, no mention of any baseline such as the number of motorcycle riding troops (it is cheap transportation!) and whether or not these deaths are higher than in comparable (age/experience) civilian populations.

WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 02/07/06 at 00:22:38

Umm, Paladin I don't think that whom ever wrote this article was out to 'dis' motorcycles, nor to justify the war or play down combat deaths.
In fact I don't think the article had a political agenda one way or the other, I just think that the author doesn't know much about motorcycles or the war. He was just trying to write a story about some interesting statistics that he was presented with.
In further consideration of the article since I posted it, I have begun to reflect upon some other aspects of what may be going on here.
Some troubling statistics that I have become aware of, and certain aspects of these statistics might be influencing the dynamics of what is occurring here.
It is a fact that over 50% of the troops returning from the war zones suffer from one type or another of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and they currently receive little or no treatment from the US government to address this dibilatating and devasting psychological disorder.
They arrive home with tons of ready cash to spend.
They long for a continuation of some kind of adrenalin pumping high and cutting edge excitement.
Perhaps they simply purchase too much bike for their limited skill level, drink a couple of cold ones and head out on the highway as the song goes. This happens all the time to non military kids with a few grand to spend and a fun filled summer break on the horizon
On a darker note, it is also a statistical fact that a large percentage of untreated military PTSD victims are pron to, and often carry out a suicide attempt....but think about it. If you deliberately carry out an obvious suicide, no benifits are paid to your family....have a fatal accident, and full benifits are forthcoming and promptly paid....just a thought, and albiet a macabre scenario...well who knows.
I myself spent eight years in service during the Vietnam conflict, and to me this latter scenario although sad, (even unthinkable to most) is never the less well within the parameters of possibility.
Whatever the cause and effect of the dynamics in play here, prayers for our brothers and sisters in arms are most deffinatly in order.   Peace, Starlifter.     :'(  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 02/07/06 at 06:46:05

I don't know if the writer was planning a anti-motorcycle article or not, it does seem biased against motorcycles and for the military. I thought that the military had a manditory Motorcycle Saftey Training for any serviceman who purchases a bike and keeps it on base. The reason the training was put in place orignally was to prevent just what the article has identified as a problem with serviceman and bikes. It is still a shame that the returning serviceman need to keep pushing the envelope just to feel the same level of being alive that combat gave them.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #5 - 02/07/06 at 10:29:49

I gotta agree with Paladin on this one.

It sounds compelling to equate death in battle to death during recreation. Lump two unrealted metrics together and a single story and it sounds like we have a relationship. But where are the numbers we are not seeing?

-How many military (lets not say troops as it is miss leading) deaths on motorcycles occurred in the years prior?
-What was the age of those riders?
-How long have they been in the military?
-Many, many other factors.

I entered the Navy in a male only field when I was 18. We were basically a group of guys that lived under our parents rule, got yelled at for a few months for making a bed and trained for a couple of years before we hit the fleet. Regular paychecks, no real bills (room, food, etc), and lack of constant supervision. Couple that with the phrase 'instant financing E-1 and up' and you will see problems.

I applaud this General for trying to save lives (short of giving them the Armour they need in combat). I think safety awareness is not enough. I would impose class and CC restrictions for base decals. Want to buy a 1000cc sport bike? Fine, but you are not bringing it on base. You just bought a EX250? You get better parking at all base facilities. You have to encourage the safest alternative or 19 year olds will be walking in mass to the new bike storage place that opened up .25mi from the base.

This is just a guide and I wouldn't react from the gut. I would grab all available statistics and see what the major factors are.

Non Vets may think this is too harsh. Trust me, service men and women deal with much crazier restrictions on their liberty.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 02/07/06 at 11:02:13

HotFix wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Non Vets may think this is too harsh. Trust me, service men and women deal with much crazier restrictions on their liberty.

No doubt.  Can you say UCMJ Article 34?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 02/08/06 at 08:41:20

I noted they also stated:
Quote:
All five Lejeune Marines involved in the October accidents had less than two years of road riding experience; only one had taken the Corps' mandatory safety course; and only one bike was registered on base - another requirement for Marines. All the victims were riding high-performance sport bikes often favored by younger riders.

Article

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 02/09/06 at 08:44:02

Once, while on USS MT WHITNEY, I read an article written by a disabled former (black) sailor, who had been run over a truck while skateboarding... in the evening... dressed in black... with his walkman plugged in his ears... down a street paved in cobblestones... in Old Town in Naples, Italy.
The article ended with the sentence "wherever you are in Naples, watch out for the locals' driving style" .

No mention of it being illegal to skate down any street, or for that matter on cobblestones, with a walkman blaring into your ears, in the evening in a city you are NOT familiar with.

I have been 20 and I admit to reckless driving.
I am now ...46, and admit I often behaved ... poorly when young.
I assume it has to do with experience, survival of the fittest and the Darwin Awards.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/09/06 at 16:23:17

8)As a former soldier of the gulf war,and spending much time overseas.One does when home push the envelope of life!Cut me a break bullets could'nt kill me!!
That's what i said to myself and others as all laws were broke on the road of adrenaline!! Thanks to a preacher my father and caring wife i grew up. I do understand the vets way of dealing with a sacrafice only they feel.Not much is done by Uncle Sam to help unwind.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS Cheesy

IP Logged
WavJamR
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/10/06 at 23:41:11

I read the article,  my condolances to the loved ones lost, here and over there.  :'(

Some items to ponder:

1. I don't think the problem is restricted to our men and women in the armed services.

2. No where did it call for more training for car drivers. While a safety course is great for motorcyclist, it would help to spend a little more effort on educating car drivers on being more alert for things like motorcycles, bikes, and pedestrians.

3. Sadly, the story ended  with a loved one saying 'there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent the accident'   In most cases, the warning signs are there to prevent the accident: we may not be train to recognize them,  fail to see them, or ignore them all together.  Any of  these 3 will kill us.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 02/11/06 at 08:14:05

'there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent the accident'

False.  However, what could be done is unacceptable in a free society.

You cannot protect a Free Society by taking away our freedoms to dress as we wish, ride/drive what we wish, to talk privately with whom we wish, go where we wish, etc..

As for the Marines -- we ask them to put their lives on the line to protect our Freedom.  We cannot complain when they put their lives on the line to enjoy that Freedom.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:12:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle deaths among troops returning from war

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.