Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Adapting the Stock Muffler? (Read 32 times)
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Adapting the Stock Muffler?
Reply #15 - 01/20/06 at 14:38:08

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Steve's Dyna muffler installation sounds awesome!

But just so's ya know...my Sportster installation (and many others on the list) is ROCK solid.  I did drill a new hole into the stock bracket, but then installed a bushing and through bolted to the sportsters stock muffler mounting position.  Yes, I did field modify the muffler bracket to bend about 30 degrees so that I could have a nice tight installation.  But neither of these details sacrifices the structural integrity of the mounting.  It looks, sounds and runs great and was dirt cheap...It's all about choices.  That's the great thing about this bike is there are so many ways to go and so many people to help!

I'm sure your Sportster muffler is rock solid.  I chose the Dyna muffler because all the Sportster muffler take-offs that the Harley dealer had were for the newer Sportster (2003+, I think).  Those have a crossover pipe fitted that  fits into the second muffler. I didn't want to try to figure out a way to plug the crossover pipe.

The Dyna mufflers look just like the Sportster mufflers, but have the different mounting bracket. I figured I could make it work and was suprised how easy it was.  It only took one trip to the hardware store. Smiley

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
r80rt
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/20/06 at 14:40:33

I took the Stock muffler off and drilled the baffles from the INLET end, got a deeper sound and a little louder. it sounded much better to me., but now I'm running a Dyna Glide muffler very solidly mounted I might add. Wink

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #17 - 01/20/06 at 15:13:05

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
...  At any rate, I did buy an unused Sportster muffler a while ago but I'm not really clear what I would have to ask a muffler shop to bend, etc., to make this fit onto the Savage.  Nor am I really clear about what extra parts I need to make it work with the Savage, if I take the stock one off.  I do have the part number for the small Harley heat shield, too.  But from what I understand, I will also need to rejet, which is  something I'm not really equipped to do at this point.

Check the thread in the tech section for good instructions about fitting the Sportster muffler. Once you take it off, it's clear what need to be done. As a matter of fact the hardest part is finding a shop that will fool with it.

I got a new head to exhaust gasket.  Removed the stock muffler and mounted the HD muffler. I measure the gap between the pipes, and took the HD muffler and the exhaust pipe to the muffler shop.  I just told them I wanted a pipe to fit over the exhaust and into the muffler when they are spaced that far apart. They cut a stock pipe  to length and expanded one end. They charged me $5.  I bought a stock HD clamp for the muffler and used a U clamp for the other.

The biggest problem in rejetting is getting the screws out of the carb body.  They strip easily. I ended up using a pair of needle nose Vice-grips to remove the screws. I replaced teh screws with allen cap screws. Check the  "Carb Specs" thread in the tech section.  The main jet just screws out. Screw the larger one in and button it back up and you're done.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 01/20/06 at 16:20:49

A small pair of channel locks worked well on the screws when I rejetted and did the white spacer mod, it is easier if you take a small file and flatten the sides of the head of the screw. I ended up needing to do that anyway cause two of the screw heads rounded off from the pliers. I'm using a sporty muffler off of a '94 Harley and had the adapter made at a local muffler shop for $10.00. The muffler I'm using is the one without all the printing about the EPA noise crap on it. The rear mount depends on how complicated you want to get, a piece of flatstock bolted to the muffler and stock mounting point on the bike should work fine. It beats doing the Hartman mod on the stock muffler which has poor quality chrome and weighs more. I'm surprised that sportbike mufflers haven't been adapted to a Savage yet, must be that mounting them is more difficult than the cruiser design mufflers.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #19 - 01/20/06 at 16:39:36

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The Dyna mufflers look just like the Sportster mufflers, but have the different mounting bracket. I figured I could make it work and was suprised how easy it was.  It only took one trip to the hardware store. Smiley

Only one trip to the hardware store?!?!  i am not worthy i am not worthy i am not worthy Grin Grin
I can't replace my shoelaces without two or three trips!

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 01/20/06 at 17:22:32

I had the same problem with my shoelaces, ended up buying slip on shoes with velcro. HeHeHeHe Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 13:26:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adapting the Stock Muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.