Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stuck Idle Mixture Screw (Read 37 times)
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Stuck Idle Mixture Screw
01/16/06 at 09:42:32

It seems I need to remove and replace my[glow=purple,2,300]STUCK [/glow]Idle Mixture Screw:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I have searched the forum but can't find that anyone has posted any tips...Any tips out there, or is it going to be the standard drill and extract?

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Stuck Idle Mixture Screw
Reply #1 - 01/16/06 at 09:51:48

That's a tough one. Since it's in a recess and does not protrude toward the inside, I can't imagine how you could grab it.  I doubt an ez out would work either.

So that leaves you with using the slot to back it out. Maybe you need more torque.  Like a screwdriver with a larger diameter handle.  I'd be afraid to use an impact driver on something like that. A slotted screwdrive socket on a handle might work, but if you strip it, you really don't have a chance of getting it out.

I think I'd take it back to the dealer that did that and ask them to fix it. Or leve it alone if it seems good.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 01/16/06 at 10:14:24

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
It seems I need to remove and replace my[glow=purple,2,300]STUCK [/glow]Idle Mixture Screw:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I have searched the forum but can't find that anyone has posted any tips...Any tips out there, or is it going to be the standard drill and extract?

When I was first doing the carb mods, I was not able to get mine out much before it stuck and the slot stripped.  I wound up taking Lancer's advice and trying a pilot jet one size larger than the original.  It worked perfectly for me.  It's certainly easy enough that it's worth trying.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #3 - 01/16/06 at 11:23:55

My mixture screw turned nicely untill I made the mistake of trying to see how many turns it was out from bottom.. Ones I bottomed it out ( just softly bottomed) It was so hard to back it back out !! I even striped the slot off the screw !! Had to use a hack saw blade to cut a slot through the case and onto the screw head...Finaly got it back out again to where it runs the best but still feels extreamly bound up !!! I should have left it alone when I had it running great in the first place !!  ???  Im afraid to try to remove it for replacement...I think I will leave it alone.......

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 01/16/06 at 11:55:32

Rob,

Is that pilot jet really small and way up in a cavity?  

I followed the Clymer manual for carb disassembly and dipped the carb to remove shellac this weekend.  Later I realized that I did not remove the pilot jet. I'm think I may replace the pilot with a 55 jet.

Looks like I might be able to do this without removing the carb.  Is that possible?

Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/16/06 at 12:31:23

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Rob,

Is that pilot jet really small and way up in a cavity?  

I followed the Clymer manual for carb disassembly and dipped the carb to remove shellac this weekend.  Later I realized that I did not remove the pilot jet. I'm think I may replace the pilot with a 55 jet.

Looks like I might be able to do this without removing the carb.  Is that possible?

Steve

Yes on both counts.  The pilot jet is smaller and is recessed quite a bit but I had no problem accessing it the same way you do the main jet... just drop the float bowl off the bottom.  Mine was seized up inside it though and I used an EZ-Out to back it out.  That worked perfectly though the jet was fully boogered up once it was removed.  I just put the new one in and it ran fine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 01/16/06 at 12:44:52

Thanks, Rob.  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/16/06 at 12:53:24

You bet.  Greg's pictures in the Carb Specs. thread in the Tech forum really show everything well.  Take a peek at 'em.

Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 01/16/06 at 15:12:19

What suprised me was the size of the jets.  I didn't get much of a sense of scale from the pics. The diameter of the main jet is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Steve

IP Logged
iKrayg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/19/06 at 20:20:20

Hey SAMM,
How many turns out was it before it got stuck?  I know it's different bike to bike; kind of just taking a pole.
Thanks,
Craig

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
My mixture screw turned nicely untill I made the mistake of trying to see how many turns it was out from bottom.. Ones I bottomed it out ( just softly bottomed) It was so hard to back it back out !! I even striped the slot off the screw !! Had to use a hack saw blade to cut a slot through the case and onto the screw head...Finaly got it back out again to where it runs the best but still feels extreamly bound up !!! I should have left it alone when I had it running great in the first place !!  ???  Im afraid to try to remove it for replacement...I think I will leave it alone.......

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #10 - 01/19/06 at 20:23:55

Sorry Im not sure...I was just trying to back it out till it ran smoothly.. then I thought I would leave it alone... It sure is stiff to turn now !!!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #11 - 01/19/06 at 20:42:05

I got about 3 turns before mine got really hard to turn.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 01/19/06 at 21:53:58

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

No problem. Just loosen up the carb clamps and rotate the carb. I did my entire rejet with the carb on the bike.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 01/20/06 at 07:27:11

You can try something , that has worked for me.
Pull the carb off, drain the gas and let it sit a little so there is nothing to spill. Take a propane torch / a little pencil torch is better, because You can not overdo it/ and heat up the carb. body, where the pilot screw is threaded. You might have a little burning gas, but don't worry- nothing dangerous. Have WD40 on hand. When You get everythind pretty hot, You spray a little WD40 around the screw and try JENTLY to move the screw left, and right, and left........,When it starts to move, every time You go a little bit more to the left. Once You have the screw out, make sure You cut and shape the slot , so this doesn't happen again.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #14 - 01/20/06 at 11:23:43

Thanks Slavy!  I was wondering if there was a safe way to use heat to help me out on this problem.  A little wary with fire + gasoline, ya know?  But since the screw and the carb body are dissimilar metals, they should expand and contract at different rates, helping one seperate from the other.

If I get brave I'll give this a try.  Otherwise I'm going to up my pilot jet to a 55 and call it a day...

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
You can try something , that has worked for me.
Pull the carb off, drain the gas and let it sit a little so there is nothing to spill. Take a propane torch / a little pencil torch is better, because You can not overdo it/ and heat up the carb. body, where the pilot screw is threaded. You might have a little burning gas, but don't worry- nothing dangerous. Have WD40 on hand. When You get everythind pretty hot, You spray a little WD40 around the screw and try JENTLY to move the screw left, and right, and left........,When it starts to move, every time You go a little bit more to the left. Once You have the screw out, make sure You cut and shape the slot , so this doesn't happen again.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:35:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck Idle Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.