Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking about buying a Savage - some Q's (Read 4 times)
StevieK
Ex Member

Thinking about buying a Savage - some Q's
01/23/06 at 08:24:40

Hello all and greetings from a new member.

After a long time on 4 wheels I'm considering buying another bike and the Savage is at the top of my list as I love big singles with the classic look and I'm only about 5'4" (wish they still made the SR500, though!). I have a few questions I hope someone can answer...

I've read lots of posts about the carb settings and the backfire caused by the factory settings running the engine a little on the lean side, but does anyone know if this also afflicts UK/EU versions of the bike or is it a US-only emissions workaround?

Do any UK/EU owners know of a good one-stop shop for accessories? Google isn't giving me much at all other than manuals and spare brake handles. I'd be looking at crash bars, maybe a new muffler and re-jet after a while, saddlebags and the usual kind of cruising add-ons like a windshield.

I only weigh about 150lbs so I don't know if the hard seat and the stock rear springs would cause me any bum/back issues - anyone got experience of stock shocker/seat performance with a relatively lightweight rider?

Is the lack of a centre stand a big pain when carrying out maintenance on the bike? I've never had a bike that had no centre stand.

Has anyone carried out the carb mod to sand down the spacer and re-jet the main jet without changing from the stock muffler? If so, did you get a power boost or just get rid of the backfire?

I know it's torquey, but will it pull a caravan? Wink

Safe riding!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Thinking about buying a Savage - some Q's
Reply #1 - 01/23/06 at 08:48:19

For starters, you should at least richen the pilot system which will help with the backfiring issue and improve performance.   And maybe go with a one size larger main jet as well.  Even if you do not change the exhaust this would be beneficial.  For exhaust changes you could go with a Raask pipe, made in Sweden I believe,  and with that you would definitely need a complete rejetting.
Proper jetting is important for engine health because an overly lean condition is not good, and it makes more power as well.
If you have read the thread on this site about the Savage Birthday in Finland, you could contact Peter who is the president of that organization, and he can help you with other parts that may be able on your side of the ocean.
Take care and stay plugged in here for good info and help.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/23/06 at 09:50:00

StevieK wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Is the lack of a centre stand a big pain when carrying out maintenance on the bike? I've never had a bike that had no centre stand.

Has anyone carried out the carb mod to sand down the spacer and re-jet the main jet without changing from the stock muffler? If so, did you get a power boost or just get rid of the backfire?

I know it's torquey, but will it pull a caravan? Wink

Safe riding!

Make a 2x6/pipe bike lift thing.

I bought my with the stock muffler.  I think the previous owner had done the carb as (1) screw is uncovered (2) have minimal backfires and (3) it loves my more open fishtail.

I pushed a '61 Mercury Convertable with my 36hp Volkswagen.  Could only get it up to 15 mph.  At the end I found that the guy had left it in gear.  The Savage will pull a small caravan if I could only find a hitch for it.

I tried unsafe riding -- it hurts.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/23/06 at 09:51:25

Welcome to SuzukiSavage.com!  When it comes to European Savage owners who frequent this community, kropatchek and mpespatori are the first folks to come to mind though we have a few others from Europe who stop by from time to time.  Please take a look in the Marketplace forum at the Best Sources for Savage Parts and Vendor Reviews threads.  Also, for a cheap lift that works well for a lot of everyday maintenance, see the Rikko's Build Your Own Bike Lift/Stand topic in the Tech forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 01/23/06 at 10:32:26

i've pulled a 88 ford ranger with my savage for over two miles with my brother steering the truck,i got it up to around 40 mph on the straights,i put the tow hook around the sissy bar...can anyone say wheelies Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/23/06 at 10:59:32

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
StevieK
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/23/06 at 11:38:11

Thanks for the replies guys. If I do get a Savage and can find some good UK/EU sources of bits and pieces I'll post in the marketplace.

Given some of the luvverly piccies I've seen of people's paint jobs and mods I reckon the temptation to tinker will be too much for me. Dang - and we just knocked down the garage to make way for more living space  Roll Eyes

I never could be bothered messing with a car as it's just a tin box with wheels on the corners that gets you from A to B, but as soon as I think about a bike I start hearing socket wrenches, impact drivers and muffled curses. Grin

IP Logged
r80rt
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/23/06 at 17:29:26

My wife is 4'9" and weighs in at 90lbs, she has no problems with the Savage, now that the proper carb mods are done it'll scream with her light butt on it.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/23/06 at 19:15:39

My Japanese model didn't even come with a plug over the idle mixture screw, but it was still lean and backfired a lot  before adjusting the carb.  Suzuki probably just makes them all lean.

IP Logged
StevieK
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/24/06 at 00:56:20

Thanks threezukes. Sounds like all the bikes are factory tuned this way - weird, but hey. I've managed to locate a couple of second hand Savages in a bike shop not far from where I live so I'll check them to see if they have the brass plug. I don't like the idea of having to drill out a plug put there to deliberately stop me from adjusting something I as owner should have full control over!  ???

r80rt - did you change muffler as well, or do the carb mods and keep the stock unit? I've seen a post from someone whose sig says he just drilled a couple of holes in the stock baffle. If I can manage it without having to buy a new muffler then so much the better.

IP Logged
r80rt
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/24/06 at 04:27:02

I put a Dynaglide mufler on my wifes bike along with 1/2  white spacer 152.5 main jet and 2 1/2 turns out on the air screw. Those small changes stopped the backfire and made the bike a lot better to ride.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 01/24/06 at 05:44:54

I don't like the idea of having to drill out a plug put there to deliberately stop me from adjusting something I as owner should have full control over!

In the U.S. all of them, from some point in the 1990s have the plug.  It's an EPA thing and is supposed to discourage tampering and making it pollute more.

StevieK
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/24/06 at 14:21:29

They allow Hummers, 5 litre jeeps, Range Rovers that get 10 to the gallon with a following wind and goodness knows what other environmental disasters wallowing around on four wheels, yet they make a small number of bike owners suffer hot lean-burning, backfiring engines.... sigh....

Roll Eyes

r80rt - thanks. I'll search for sites that might be good places to try for stock Harley mufflers that have been swapped out by the owners. I also like the look of the Supertrapp slip-on but it's probably a lot more cash.

If any UK Savage owners read this, I've started a thread in the marketplace to list UK Web sites that sell spares and accessories for the bike. Chip in with any you know of, coz they seem to be in short supply!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 01/24/06 at 19:11:43

They allow Hummers, 5 litre jeeps, Range Rovers that get 10 to the gallon with a following wind and goodness knows what other environmental disasters wallowing around on four wheels, yet they make a small number of bike owners suffer hot lean-burning, backfiring engines.... sigh....
When speaking of vehicles they favor they talk about harmful emissions -- CO, NOx, etc.  When speaking of vehicles they disfavor they simply say emissions -- most of which is water and carbon dioxide, same as what we emit.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:12:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking about buying a Savage - some Q's

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.