HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Re: Riding in the Fog
Reply #16 - 01/13/06 at 23:29:54

Paladin thanks for the info on Ricky and Ronnie's I really thought it was more of a Harley night kind of thing...Boy was I wrong Roll Eyes

Guess my Father and I are going to have to make it down there one of these Thursdays.

Thanks again for the info

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 01/14/06 at 02:28:06

Way cool there Paladin! I'll be using those video clips to practice my "scanning ahead" before my LS comes out to play in April Wink
BTW ... that Riding in the fog reminds me of here ... in May & June!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 01/15/06 at 07:21:15

Cool video.  I really enjoyed leaning on your bike through the turn.  Kinda had me leaning in my seat, too  Cheesy

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 01/15/06 at 08:06:43

Sluggo, no, still using the bouncy clamp to the handlebar mount.  Still in the thinking stage for the next mounting attempt.  Whatever I do will be more expensive than the $5 or so I have in the current one.  I'm looking at the space right behind the flyscreen.  I also want to try a helmet mount, which will somewhat follow where I am looking.

Greg -- That lean was on wet streets.  So far the only time I have felt any slippage of the tires has been on damp broad painted white lines and a manhole cover -- both very momentary, both no more than a raised eyebrow.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 01/15/06 at 09:21:48

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Sluggo, no, still using the bouncy clamp to the handlebar mount.  Still in the thinking stage for the next mounting attempt.  Whatever I do will be more expensive than the $5 or so I have in the current one.  I'm looking at the space right behind the flyscreen.  I also want to try a helmet mount, which will somewhat follow where I am looking.

That'll make an even more interesting video.  Probably akin to some of the trips I took in the 70's.

Quote:
Greg -- That lean was on wet streets.  So far the only time I have felt any slippage of the tires has been on damp broad painted white lines and a manhole cover -- both very momentary, both no more than a raised eyebrow.  

And those tar-like crack patches that get soft in the sun.  Most just un-nerving.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 01/16/06 at 08:25:17

Great video, but I was surprised to see no rear foglight on the cages... they are mandatory here in Europe, get rear-ended in fog with your foglight off and it's YOUR fault! Roll Eyes

Don't you guys have foglights? ???

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #22 - 01/16/06 at 09:51:31

ummm....  err...  In Europe, you take driving and driver safety seriously.  We don't.

A significant percentage of cars have burnt out tail lights, brake lights, head lights.  A smaller percentage forget to turn on their lights.  It is not uncommon to see a vehicle with only one of three brake lights working.

We have mandatory vehicle insurance.  It is not legal to drive in California without proof of liability insurance to pay for an accident that is your fault.  For my Savage, insurance to cover my liability for damage done to others is $60/year.   (It is not likely that I will be the cause of an accident.)   My coverage for uninsured motorists (those breaking the law) damaging me is $80/year.  (That covers the likelyhood of an uninsured motorist hitting me -- there are a lot of them.)

WWW   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #23 - 01/16/06 at 10:34:16

Hey Pals,

Why can't I see Paladin's video?

I'm at the office, with very broadband and fast Internet connection, but Windows media player only says "connecting..."  and stays there forever   ???

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

RW

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #24 - 01/16/06 at 15:11:07

Interesting.   I get the same stall out.  However if I mouseover and rightclick it pulls up the menu and I click "save target as..." and it downloads it no problem.  Will look into this when I can.

WWW   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #25 - 01/17/06 at 13:38:26

I could see the video today!!!!! Grin   Grin  

WOW!!! That IS some SERIOUS fog to ride in Shocked

I would probably not do it now, although I have done it in the past...

I wonder what kind of speed were you riding at? It seemed quite fast for the little visibility I saw...  Shocked

Interesting, thou, very interesting.....

Thanks Pal,

Best to all,

RW

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #26 - 01/17/06 at 15:07:18

If you look at the start the fog seems thinner.  Actually it wasn't - the lens was getting fog droplets on it making it, obstructing it's vision.  As I said, riding in the fog is one of the very few times I do not wear eye protection.  In the fog the water droplets film on anything in front of the eyes -- glasses, goggles, face shield, windscreen or windshield.  All which obstructs vision.  Bare eyed I can see far better in the fog than others, giving me an advantage.

On the clip I mention seeing the traffic light long before it become visible on the recording.

I was running 20-30 mph, depending on traffic and fog density.  Soon after I had shut down the camera I had an idiot cager come up my rear, I sidestep, he rips past going 35 or so.  No way he could see beyond stopping distance.

WWW   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #27 - 01/19/06 at 05:52:52

Pal,

I follow you in the fog getting thicker as you ride through it and obstructing vision, whenever I reide in the fog, I do not wear googles either.

I assume this is quite a frequent route for you, since you were able to see the lights before they were visible on the video. Same thing happens to me, when I ride in the rain or fog, I usually use the same route, so I know where the traffic lights are, and slow down until I see what color they are...

Thanks anyway, and take care,

Best,

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 20:49:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in the Fog

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!