Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sealed batteries? (Read 7 times)
reclamations
Ex Member

sealed batteries?
01/11/06 at 08:44:43

More than once last year, I was all geared up, ready to ride, only to find that my bike wouldn't start.  I'd charge it earlier that week, even put more distilled water in it but there were days that I'd have to take everything apart and recharge the battery yet again.

Maybe it's time to replace it?  I got it used last year (third owner, from what I know) and don't have an owner's manual. What are good batteries "out there" for a 2000 Suzuki Savage LS650 with under 2000 miles (if it matters)? Is there a sealed version? What's the stock number? Do they work better/more reliably than the stock model YB14L-B2?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Yvonne

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: sealed batteries?
Reply #1 - 01/11/06 at 11:05:40

Yvonne,

I put a sealed battery in mine.....the only way to go, IMO.

Sealed batteries are one of the biggest improvements made to the motorcycling world since I started riding back in '70.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/11/06 at 14:43:52

If I were in Michigan, snowed in and not riding in the winter, I would get an  Odyssey 'Dry Cell'.  (see Lancer's bike.)  They claim it'll hold a starting charge while sitting untouched for months.

Here in LaLaLand I installed a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS High Performance Maintenance Free over a year ago and haven't bothered with it since.

WWW   IP Logged
Manxman
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Re: sealed batter
Reply #3 - 01/12/06 at 04:38:14

Paladin's right. I put a Big Crank BIG-ETX-15L in mt '97 last night. Perfect fit and the bike started right up. $49.95 with $8.33 shipping from bigcrank.com. I would have gone with the Odyssey if I were customizing the bike because I don't believe they make one to fit the stock Savage's battery box. There are other brands of glass mat technology batteries like the Big Crank. The stock one in my Sportster is 4 years old and  still cranks like new. You can spend less for a Walmart battery but in the long run you'll spend more and you'll have the hassle of not knowing when the battery will fail.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/12/06 at 05:34:01

The glass matt batteries are excellent.  I believe you're correct about no direct swap being available from Odyssey.  I bought the Odyssey PC545MJ and am very satisfied with it.  It's a bit wider (left to right) than the stock battery but it's also shorter (top to bottom), such that I was able to bend a small piece of sheet aluminum to raise the battery about 1.5 - 2 inches.  That enabled me to attach the existing cables and slide the tool pouch underneath the battery.  I'll probably modify that setup sometime but it works quite well right now.  I got the Odyssey because of the ability to mount it in just about any configuration & the steel case on the battery (in case I decide to scrap the stock battery box), along with the long warranty and the company's reputation.  I'm not familiar with Big Crank but if it's a glass matt battery and is a direct swap for the stock battery, it's probably a decent choice.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Manxman
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #5 - 01/12/06 at 07:21:34

Savage_Rob,
The Big Crank can be mounted in any orientation except for upside down. But I should have posted a question on this site about the Odysseys. If that's all the mods to install an Odyssey it's a better battery in the long run. I noticed that Odyssey makes a direct replacement for my sportster and I will definitely get one when my stock battery fails. Like you, I appreciate the military spec case and the superior warranty.  
I've never had good luck with conventional batteries. I was lucky to get 2 years out of a vented, lead/acid battery no matter what the warranty. Plus a glass mat battery holds a charge for a much longer time than a conventional battery.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/12/06 at 07:48:17

I have had the Odyssey for a couple of years now and it has worked flawlessly.  Since this model is designed for a big twin, it has NO PROBLEM cranking over the Savage...and it does it every time.  Even during maintenance/tuning time when I repeatedly crank the engine for extended periods it has proven to have a great deal of stamina.
I have recently put trickle chargers on both the Savage and my lawn mower, as recommended by the makers of Odyssey...and every other battery maker...to keep the batteries at peak performance levels.  This will extend the battery's ultimate life significantly...by as much as 50-100%.  In the info on the Odyssey website and in the material that comes with the battery, they say it will last up to 10 years with "proper maintenance"...and that means using the trickle chargers.
I got my chargers at Harbor Freight for about $10 each on sale, and if they only last a couple of years it is money well spent in order to have the bike/mower crank up whenever I turn the key.

IP Logged
reclamations
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/12/06 at 09:32:20

Okay, I'm sold on the sealed battery!

What modifications need to be done for the Odyssey? Just bending the battery box?  Anyone have a clear picture (or can take one) of how it will (or SHOULD) look after the modification?

What's the price on the Odyssey (compared to the Big Crank info that Manxman has supplied - - THANKS!)

Just 'cause I know it'll fit, I'm leaning toward the Big Crank (and, hey, the name says it all!) but I see definite plusses to the Odyssey - - if I can make the mods work.

Yvonne

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/12/06 at 19:23:16

I am not familiar with the Big Crank, but the Odyssey being a "DRY CELL" battery made a big difference to me.  It can be mounted up, sideways, or upside-down for that matter.  There is nothing to spill, ever.  Nothing to add, ever.  
I bought mine 2 years ago for $68  flat price in an ebay store.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 01/12/06 at 20:55:20

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I am not familiar with the Big Crank, but the Odyssey being a "DRY CELL" battery made a big difference to me.  It can be mounted up, sideways, or upside-down for that matter.  There is nothing to spill, ever.  Nothing to add, ever.  
I bought mine 2 years ago for $68  flat price in an ebay store.

Both are AGM (absorbed glass mat) and should be similar in many ways, though some recommend against upside-down mounting.  I am very happy with my Odyssey though, I must say.  Here's a deep cycle battery FAQ I found to be pretty good.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 01/13/06 at 02:13:29

I put my battrery on charge at the weekend and it was drawing 1/2 an amp, does that mean it's full ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:10:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sealed batteries?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.