Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hard Bags for the Savage? (Read 44 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Hard Bags for the Savage?
12/15/05 at 16:02:38

Well, I got rained on yeterday.  Hard.  And I finally ound a flaw in my "ebay special" saddlebags that  paid $12 for (including shipping).  They fill up with water.  And then soak it up like a sponge.  Result?  They're still wet.  Which got me thinking about a set of hardbags.  The best review I've ever found for a set was actually a couple army surplus .50 cal ammo boxes.  Wondering if anyone else had some fun making their own?  Of knows of any fairly inexpensive hard bags that'll fit the Savage?  I know I've seen pictures of Savages with hardbags mounted...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Hard Bags for the Savage?
Reply #1 - 12/15/05 at 16:11:43

max has a nice set that he threw together  check out the photo in the  second bike thread, i just loaded it up there.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #2 - 12/15/05 at 22:00:38

It may be my bike with hardbags that you saw pictures of. I bought the bags used in about 1982 at an independent bike shop in Oklahoma. I checked it out from a previous inquiry and learned the company went backrupt years ago. Sorry this doesn't help you but now you know not to waste time looking for what I have. I've always wondered about using a mesh as a frame and hand building a trunk (or bags) of fiberglass or bondo or whatever. Don't know if anybody has tried it or if you could do it and make them look good. I do really like the hard bags though. Good luck.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

I Re: Hard Bags for the Savage?
Reply #3 - 12/16/05 at 05:25:39

I looked around and didn't find anything "off the shelf." Suzuki does make a rear shelf (which goes on really easily), but I don't know if I'd want a hard bag attached to it.

Givi makes some nice stuff, but nothing that bolts on to a Savage. I'm guessing with some machining and mechanical skill a kit could be made pretty easy based on the Savage.

If I was going to attach hard bag(s) especially a trunk, I think I'd either want to replace the rear seat, or somehow get it attached to the frame. So I made the decision to go with a cloth bag and just accept the fact that it wasn't waterproof. The upside is that it is a snap (OK two snaps  Wink ) to remove and install. It does use the "sissy bar" on the Savage which you have to add to an S40.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 12/16/05 at 06:15:24

Paladin has some really sweet Leatherlyke bags.

I have a trunk I bought on eBay for $30 that I've seen at JCWhitney for around $70, I think.  I have it in the garage at the moment.  It's a tad large for my everyday use but nice for longer rides and only takes me about 10 minutes to swap it out.  Below is an image of how that used to look.

Currently I'm using a .50 cal ammo box painted with Rustoleum's hammered metal black.  Some will think it's ugly.  I like it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 12/16/05 at 07:55:27

Rob -

That looks like the Suzuki shelf under that ammo can. Is it? How many miles do you have on that mod? Did you bolt thru the can or did you weld/braze studs/nuts on? I've seen your pictures before and have been mulling around doing the same thing.

Any downsides? Cracking shelf or brackets?

I was figuring on putting in a shelf or something plastic like a fishing tackle box to keep the clutter down to a minimum.

I guess I'll have to go to a gun show to pick up another ammo can  Wink

Incidently I think it goes with the Savage very well. Better than the leather side bags.

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #6 - 12/16/05 at 08:59:17

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Paladin has some really sweet Leatherlyke bags.

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-savage-00-bikepics-309078.jpg

HEY!  I just noticed your registration plate ... COOL!!

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 12/16/05 at 11:50:00

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Rob -

That looks like the Suzuki shelf under that ammo can. Is it? How many miles do you have on that mod? Did you bolt thru the can or did you weld/braze studs/nuts on? I've seen your pictures before and have been mulling around doing the same thing.

Any downsides? Cracking shelf or brackets?

I was figuring on putting in a shelf or something plastic like a fishing tackle box to keep the clutter down to a minimum.

I guess I'll have to go to a gun show to pick up another ammo can  Wink

Incidently I think it goes with the Savage very well. Better than the leather side bags.

It is the Suzuki luggage rack.  I had to drill a few holes through it and the box.  I used neoprene washers between the box and the rack to dampen vibration and keep it waterproof.  I used cap nuts with Loctite to discourage easy removal without access to the bolt itself (from inside the box).    I have had no problems whatsoever except having to get used to the occasional rattle from the padlock assembly.  I wrapped one end of the lock's L-bracket with rubber tape and it cut it down considerably.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 12/16/05 at 12:24:59

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
HEY!  I just noticed your registration plate ... COOL!!

ummmm....  Editted photo.  I cheat alot.

WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 12/16/05 at 23:34:15

I notice you have a flyscreen. How do you like it?
Is it really noticable when you ride?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Flyscreen for the Savage
Reply #10 - 12/17/05 at 05:16:50

PerryDaSavage also has one, and reports similarly:

The flyscreen breaks the airflow below mid-chest so that wind pressure is no longer trying to push you off the bike at 60 mph+.  There is a slight increase in pressure at face level from the diverted airflow.

WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #11 - 12/17/05 at 15:31:18

Cool thanks. I'm thinking about getting one at some point.

As for hard bags, I've seen some nice ones on ebay lately. You can get a nice pair with universal mounts for under $100. They look pretty spiffy. Add a small hardcase on the back and you're set. Add another softpack on the back seat and you're loaded.

IP Logged
s40-Rob
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/24/05 at 18:08:43

Savage Rob, you have the rear carrier you purchased from ebay. What is it constructed of? Dimensions? I really like the look of it and am interested in purchasing one myself, and painting to match bike.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 12/24/05 at 23:29:53

Max's were a display set that was complete but application unknown. I was able to use some of the brackets and made some out of flat iron painted silver. They seemed to be water tight enough on the trip in the rain and snow to the FSSNOC Rally in Lander Wy, 03. I wanted some large enough to put a plastic grocery sack in, or a 12 pac, old style of pop or beer. I then put a luggage rack, again from a cycle salvage yard, in place of the passenger pillion and bought a GIVI trunk for that. Works for me as I can get 4 grocery (lightly loaded) sacks in the bags and 2 refrigeration (long skinny 12 pacs of pop) style pop cans in the trunk plus more on top of them. I've hauled lots of stuff on the rack with bungies, can't find the pictures, but have hauled home a 3 ft long by 18" x 18"  hot tub floating cover in a box one time and a lazer transit from the rental place another. I've taken ATV/golf cart tires to town and back for fixing, as uo can see any excuse for a 'scoot'. It really helps to have the weight on the back fender and forward some of the rear axle, as it doesn't try to lighten the front end at all.  e-mail me direct for a pciture. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 12/26/05 at 12:42:22

s40-Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Savage Rob, you have the rear carrier you purchased from ebay. What is it constructed of? Dimensions? I really like the look of it and am interested in purchasing one myself, and painting to match bike.

JCWhitney carries the same trunk, so I'll give you that link to see the trunk.  I noticed they had a few others too.  It's basically black plastic.  It seems like PVC but I can't say for sure.  It's pretty sturdy though.  It's very smooth/glossy so you'd probably have to rough it up a bit if you want to paint it.  It also has a black rubber backrest pad attached to it.

TRAVEL TRUNK WITH BACKREST AND SPOILER

Oh I also had to get a piece of aluminum plate to extend the luggage rack a bit to provide adequate support for the trunk.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 16:38:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard Bags for the Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.