Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gas in air cleaner box (Read 3 times)
saabsaviur
Ex Member

gas in air cleaner box
01/11/06 at 07:18:43

sorry i know this has been discussed before just couldnt find it yesterday i took out oe air filter and noticed that the air cleaner box has a small pudle of liquid  asuming gas maybee inside of it is ths bad bad or livable how would i go about repairung it. is the oe air filter cleanable?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: gas in air cleaner box
Reply #1 - 01/11/06 at 07:38:12

There is a drain tube, comming out of the bottom of the air box or at least Suzuki put one there. There should be a plug in the end. Every service You are supposed to pull the plug and let the acumilated water and oil to drain out and put the plug back. If You don't put the plug in a long run the hose gets plugged by the dust and sand in the air and You have to clean it , wusing a piece of wire or a screwdriver.
 If The liquid is gas- Your carburetor is overflowing and You will need to fix the carb. Usuallu if it is a carb. problem You will know by the poor running. Most probable nobody ever drained the air box and in case like this it might be normal to have this pudle.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/06 at 09:43:16

ya never drained anything from there thank you very much now is the oe filter cleanable or does it need replaced

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/11/06 at 11:13:38

OEM filter must be replaced.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
dangerdave
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/11/06 at 18:49:13

If you're really concerned about it, I'd keep an eye on the thing for a few weeks:  try draining the airbox every few days and see what comes out.  If it's accumulating gas quickly, you might be dealing with a carb slide/float issue (and gas in the airbox can mean gas in the oil, which can quickly become problematic), but I'd guess that what you're seeing is the normal slow build-up of oil and water.  Again, if it worries you, check it again in a few days; unless a pretty significant quantity of liquid that you can clearly identify as gas is building up, you should be fine.

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/11/06 at 18:57:59

i drained the air cleaner box via the hose and only about 1.5 tablespoons came out it was a mixture of dirt, oil, grease, dead,bugs, and water so im not really going to stress over it maybee i will check it in a few days just out of cuiriosity

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 01/12/06 at 05:25:28

That sounds pretty normal from what I hear.  When I got mine, the plug was missing.  I check it every now and again to make sure it hasn't gotten plugged with road yuck but haven't had a problem so far.  I may check RonAyers to see if they have a replacement plug but it's no hurry.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 01/12/06 at 09:20:11

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
That sounds pretty normal from what I hear.  When I got mine, the plug was missing.  I check it every now and again to make sure it hasn't gotten plugged with road yuck but haven't had a problem so far.  I may check RonAyers to see if they have a replacement plug but it's no hurry.

Savage,

Where does the tube enter the airbox?  Is it upstream or downstream of the air filter?

If it is downstream, you may want to get a plug sooner than later, since you could be sucking unfiltered air into the airbox.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/15/06 at 07:29:09

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Savage,

Where does the tube enter the airbox?  Is it upstream or downstream of the air filter?

If it is downstream, you may want to get a plug sooner than later, since you could be sucking unfiltered air into the airbox.

The drain hose is upstream of the filter.

The gunk in the airbox is a mixture of gas, oil and water...with the majority being oil and water vapor.  It comes from the engine crankcase breather.  That way the engine has a sort of "positive" crankcase breather.  You may smell a little gas in the mix just because it is connected to a carb, but don't worry.  It is working as it should.

I tried to clean my OEM filter once, and it fell apart.  Not meant to be cleaned.  Get a K&N which is.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 01/15/06 at 18:08:14

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Rob,

I believe it's downstream sort of underneath the edge of the filter if I remember correctly.  That's a good point and probably the reason for the plug.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 13:53:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas in air cleaner box

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.