Send Topic Print
Factory Service Manual (Read 5 times)
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Factory Service Manual
01/07/06 at 16:58:31

Well, I ordered the FSM through my dealer two months ago and they said it was on indefinite backorder.  Browsing this site I found the link: http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/2006/62/5/18035
and bingo, they got one to me in four days.  Thanks to whoever first posted this link.  I love reading these manuals and browsing through it took a mere five minutes to my first Uh Oh.  I had relied mostly on Clymer for my breakin service and the section on adjusting the automatic decompression play was a little vague.  I set the cable free play to 3~5mm but WRONG..... now my FSM is clear that this free play is for the actuating electromagnetic plunger measured on the right-hand side after you pull off the rubber cap.  This play in the cable is too tight and risks collision of the piston with exhaust valves!    So another teardown to set things right but I learned you can remove the fuel tank with "fuel valve" in place.  There's a subtle twist to the left to clear the frame but it's hard to reverse on reassembly.  I taped up the frame rail to prevent scratching from the interference here.  The FSM has supplements to 2006 (model LS650K6) and is the gold standard.  As most know, Clymer has more than a few errors and should be checked against the FSM on criical points.  Now back to more browsing, even if my wife thinks it is a boring book  Undecided

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Factory Service Manual
Reply #1 - 01/07/06 at 17:07:43

mine shakes her head when she catches me reading that manual - but how else could I have found the misprint on the wire'n diagram for 1987 that listing the nuetrl light as a low oil light ... hummm - geek she says

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #2 - 01/09/06 at 16:16:57

Thanks for the link to the factory service manual website.  I ordered mine last night and it is on its way.  About $63.00 inc. shipping.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #3 - 01/13/06 at 10:56:30

Thanks for the info .. but .. there appears to be two different manuals for two different Savages.

The one you link to is for the LS650K6, and there is another for the LS650PK4.

What is the difference???

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/13/06 at 11:03:50

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
mine shakes her head when she catches me reading that manual - but how else could I have found the misprint on the wire'n diagram for 1987 that listing the nuetrl light as a low oil light ... hummm - geek she says

Reelthing, my hubby looks over my shoulder & if I'm reading motorcycle stuff, he laughs and says, "Another Smutty Novel?"

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/13/06 at 11:18:30

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks for the info .. but .. there appears to be two different manuals for two different Savages.

The one you link to is for the LS650K6, and there is another for the LS650PK4.

What is the difference???

I believe the P is for Pullback handlebars, the K4 is a 2004 model and the K6 is the 2006 model.  Beside cosmetic differences, there are occasionally minor differences in the wiring harnesses.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #6 - 01/14/06 at 18:52:19

Thanks .. I have a 2004 .. I've just ordered the manual.

PS  I have the Clymer manual .. but wanted the 'real thing'. I *did* try to get one thru my dealer and the looked, and looked, and looked .. but couldn't find anything  (sigh)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/15/06 at 12:08:55

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks .. I have a 2004 .. I've just ordered the manual.

PS  I have the Clymer manual .. but wanted the 'real thing'. I *did* try to get one thru my dealer and the looked, and looked, and looked .. but couldn't find anything  (sigh)

I have the same one but it goes to either 2004 or 2005.  It's an excellent manual.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #8 - 01/15/06 at 13:02:58

The manual I received, P.No. 99500-36085-03E, is up to 2004 inclusive, with two separate supplements for LS650K5 (’05 model) and LS650K6 (’06 model).  Previous model designations are LS650H / J / S / T for ’87, ’88, ’95, and ’96 and LS650V / W / X / Y / K1 / K2 / K3 for ’97, ’98, ’99, ’00, ’01, ’02 and ’03 models.  Mostly there are minor differences in service specifications, data and procedures.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:48:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Factory Service Manual

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.