Send Topic Print
Ludicrous Speed, Go! (Read 19 times)
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Ludicrous Speed, Go!
01/06/06 at 20:03:43

Anyone here ever maxed out your Savage / S40?  How fast did it get to before refusing to accelerate any more?  

My 2006 model topped out at 80 on a completely flat superslab on a completely clear day with few to no winds.

IP Logged
XxQualitySealxX
Ex Member

Re: Ludicrous Speed, Go!
Reply #1 - 01/07/06 at 03:23:19

80? Wow.. I have gotten mine to about 95 before the speed wobbles get too bad and I back off (although I don't know how much further I had)

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/06 at 03:46:00

I've never actually tested mine as in flat, no wind.  I would guess 95.  I've had it well over 100 with a tailwind on occasion.  

Before mods(K&N, muffler, rejet, spacer) 80 sounds about right.  There were days with a headwind that I would be WOT several minutes and not ever hit 70 which is just a dangerous position to be in on the interstate.  It's what ultimately drove me to modify the bike.

IP Logged
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #3 - 01/07/06 at 04:18:20

That's a good point that perhaps I should address: this bike is completely stock.  No modifications whatsoever.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 01/07/06 at 05:24:13

When mine was stock it would top out at about 86 I believe.  The first time I had the muffler off and a not-so-good muffler on it the results were not any better...that just made it all the more lean.  When the stock filter was replaced and the carb PROPERLY rejetted  it jumped up into the 90's.  After massive oil loss and rebuild, Edelbrock carb and better muffler it hit 105 mph @ 7000 rpm.  The last 5 mph, from 100-105, was a bit slow  getting there but it made it.  I have a stretch of rural road that I use for  TESTING PURPOSES ONLY of course, and the performance is quite subject to weather conditions...temp and humidity...which makes a significant difference in speed on any given day.  It can vary by as much as 5-8 mph.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 01/07/06 at 06:16:15

Stock my '02 maxed out at 83mph with a windshield and saddlebags. After a rejet, sporty muffler and K+N stock type air filter I've got the bike up to 93mph for a short time. I don't think the bike will hit the ton mark the way it is, maybe I'll give it a try one day when I feel brave. I'll keep the windshield and remove the saddlebags before I'll make a try at the ton.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/07/06 at 07:52:53

I've been to 85 twice, just to check after doing some mods.  It seemed there was more room to go....

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 01/07/06 at 10:16:39

AndyC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Anyone here ever maxed out your Savage / S40?  How fast did it get to before refusing to accelerate any more? ....

I think my 2000 has been rejetted as it has no complaints with a fairly open exhaust.  With the stock muffler I got up to about 85 on the Harbor Freeway (just a couple of mph faster than prevailing traffic speed.)  While I was topped out I think the bike had a little more to give.  I want a SuperBrace before going faster.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 01/07/06 at 12:41:14

I know I've had it between 85 and 90 two or three times and she still had a bit more to give.  I actually prefer the 60-70 range though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/07/06 at 12:44:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I know I've had it between 85 and 90 two or three times and she still had a bit more to give.  I actually prefer the 60-70 range though.

I prefer 50 MPH, myself.  That's about 3500 on the tach and is straight up.  Good speed in 5th where there is still enough torque to accelerate.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/07/06 at 12:55:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I prefer 50 MPH, myself.  That's about 3500 on the tach and is straight up.  Good speed in 5th where there is still enough torque to accelerate.

I would agree with that almost anywhere but the freeway.  However, I still prefer at least 55 I think.  50 is that point where I downshift to 4th most of the time.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/07/06 at 16:09:00

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I would agree with that almost anywhere but the freeway.  However, I still prefer at least 55 I think.  50 is that point where I downshift to 4th most of the time.

Yep.  Not on freeways, but I avoid them most of the time anyway.  Too much speed and too many idiots.  No time to enjoy the ride.  Depends on where you live, I imagine.  In big cities like Portland, I get on the freeways to bypass traffic and get off where there is space to cruise.

I have a strange philosophy about interstates anyway (my spouse thinks, at least)....I prefer to do 60 in the right lane.  I feel more visible, less rushed, and forces everyone to go around me where I can see them.  I find that getting in the left lane and going faster forces you to drive along with and just like the idiots.  Besides, as ROR stated, the right lane always leaves me an exit strategy.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 01/07/06 at 16:20:26

Yeah, I'm more comfortable at around 60mph. Seems no matter what I drive, cage, bike, whatever,  I always end up running at 63mph. Must be my comfort zone. Smiley

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/07/06 at 17:03:52

I've had it to around 80 but I'm going to get the Superbrace before I top it out, just so this doesn't happen:
http://www.bikepics.com/movies/000464/
(click on the picture)
Shocked

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 01/07/06 at 17:26:20

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

~3500rpm is the sweet spot the '95 likes to cruise - high 50's mpg and a smooth sounding thumper

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 18:04:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ludicrous Speed, Go!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.