Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brakes (Read 1 times)
BS37066
Ex Member

Re: Brakes
Reply #15 - 01/06/06 at 12:01:37

You will, sooner or later, have to brake in a turn.  

The MSF course reminds me of my years in the military.  Their way was not the best way, either.

Everyone in front of you is an idiot.  Everyone in back of you is an a$$hole.

We all think we're better than average riders and drivers.  Some of us must be wrong.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 01/06/06 at 12:06:26

Some of you are.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #17 - 01/06/06 at 12:34:15

I've gone down in turns before (offroad!), and each occasion had something in common.  I was using my rear brake in the curve.  I've gone faster, on slicker surfaces, with the same bike and tires, but never slid out on a curve...except when using the brake.

The only time I slid out on a curve when not using the brake, it was because the groud I was riding on fell away form under me, and I went down the hill.  You don't ride on soft dirt too often on the road though.

In any case, I've become a firm believer of the MSF method...and have the scars to show why.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 01/06/06 at 13:03:39

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
You will, sooner or later, have to brake in a turn.  

The MSF course reminds me of my years in the military.  Their way was not the best way, either.

Everyone in front of you is an idiot.  Everyone in back of you is an a$$hole.

We all think we're better than average riders and drivers.  Some of us must be wrong.

Hmmm.  What did I say in my next to last paragraph?

The MSF is like the military?  Not sure that I understand.  I was in the Navy for 6 years, and I didn't think it was that bad, unless it's an issue of the structure, education and discipline aspects.  I do know that joining the Navy was free, whereas taking the MSF course was expensive.  Is that the problem?

Maybe you just don't know too much about the MSF course.  The MSF teaches you with a bike and not by just reading a book.  We did have some homework assignments, but it was a lot of fun and not even too intimidating.  Here is an old photo of my trainer.  A mild mannered Yamaha.

Here is a photo of my spouse's trainer.  A nice gentle little Honda.

Personally, I just try to help.  Maybe I made a mistake this time and should have kept my mouth shut.  Either way, I don't really care if you want to drag your feet through a curve.  You just better hope you can walk on them if you ever go down.

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/06/06 at 13:11:42

Quite possibly.  When I'm in front of or behind you.

But never you.  You're the moderator. Smiley

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Some of you are.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 01/06/06 at 14:11:30

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I've gone down in turns before (offroad!), and each occasion had something in common.  I was using my rear brake in the curve.  I've gone faster, on slicker surfaces, with the same bike and tires, but never slid out on a curve...except when using the brake.

The only time I slid out on a curve when not using the brake, it was because the groud I was riding on fell away form under me, and I went down the hill.  You don't ride on soft dirt too often on the road though.

In any case, I've become a firm believer of the MSF method...and have the scars to show why.

There you go.  I taught myself how to ride starting at age 16.  Due to my subborn, trial by fire techniques, I fell quite a few times over the years, too.  Sometimes it was due to speed or braking or both, but I somehow survived to become an "expert".  

Then a few years ago, I bought my Savage and talked my spouse into her first bike, as well.  And then the "expert" began her training.  I trained her hard, too.  The first 15 miles were in a packed sand lot area for horses.  She went around and around, doing figure 8s, and through all the obstacles and cones, that I could arrange, for hours.  I even had my car in there too.  

Here she is on her brand new GZ250, and she learned control before she ever got on pavement...and everyone knows that sand ain't easy.

However, when I got her on the road, she worried the "expert".  I kept seeing my own training in action and began to think that maybe she needed more.  I remembered all my own past spills and just knew that if she pulled one of my stupid mistakes, that our biking partnership might come to an end.  Couldn't have that...

So, as soon as an opening was available with the MSF, we both enrolled....and the next 2 1/2 days were a blast.  We had different bikes, and we sort of had our own little "competition thing" going too.  After all, she knew that she was riding with the "expert" of 30+ years, and she liked that challenge.

Bottom line?  We both graduated with the same score of - 2 points.  I don't know if she lost points for my bad influences or her inexperience, but I know that I lost points for my over-confidence.  She lost her points for not doing the stopping test well enough.  I lost points for doing the "slow, look, lean, roll" technique in the curve test....they use a stop watch for that test and said I was going too fast.....the "expert" was humbled.

....What can I say?  Might be long winded, but it is still on topic  8)

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/06/06 at 16:54:39

Oh shoot,

I said dragging the rear brakes, as opposed to applying the rear brakes, going into a corner.  Like the real pro's do.

And I only mentioned it to say that my back brakes show no signs of wear, though I do try to use them.

But I will try dragging my feet, next time, like greg suggested.  He11, I'm open to new ideas.

Peace Smiley

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #22 - 01/06/06 at 18:12:59

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
But I will try dragging my feet, next time, like greg suggested.  He11, I'm open to new ideas.

Peace Smiley

sounds like fun,i'll give it a try  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:45:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.