Send Topic Print
Brakes (Read 1 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Brakes
01/06/06 at 08:47:38

Out of curiosity, how long do all of y'all's brake pads and shoes last?  For that matter, what ones do you recommend?

I had about 4,000m on my front brakes when I replaced the pads, and at 7,000m even on my Savage, I still haven't touched the rear brakes, nor noticed that I should have.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Re: Brakes
Reply #1 - 01/06/06 at 09:00:45

We had #2 daughter's brakes on the front replaced recently, mechanic scolded her about her style of riding, said they should have lasted longer (4000 mi.), rear ones ok, Haven't done mine yet. 3900 mi

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 01/06/06 at 09:32:57

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
We had #2 daughter's brakes on the front replaced recently, mechanic scolded her about her style of riding, said they should have lasted longer (4000 mi.), rear ones ok, Haven't done mine yet. 3900 mi

My front brake pads were toast at only 3500 miles.  I'm not an aggressive rider, nor am I a heavyweight rider.

IMO, the only riders who should be scolded about brake use are those who are wearing out rear brakes too fast....the front brake on a bike is much more effective than the rear brake and should be used accordingly.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/06/06 at 09:41:46

Mine were nearly all gone at 2,200 miles. Lots of stop & go riding until I get out of the city. I just replaced them with SBS 581 pads but I can't say yet how I'll like them 'cause I've only put a few "break-in" miles on them. They feel good so far & I hope I can get 5 or 6K miles out of them.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 01/06/06 at 10:03:13

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Mine were nearly all gone at 2,200 miles. Lots of stop & go riding until I get out of the city. I just replaced them with SBS 581 pads but I can't say yet how I'll like them 'cause I've only put a few "break-in" miles on them. They feel good so far & I hope I can get 5 or 6K miles out of them.

can you mic the rotor as you start with the ceramic pads?

I never could tell if the ceramics were wearing on the stock rotor much or not.

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/06/06 at 10:11:02

do motorcycle rotors ever really need replaced like a car?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 01/06/06 at 10:18:35

you bet - the service manual will list the minimum thicknes for a rotor - do not have my books here can check it later if you'd like

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/06/06 at 10:28:26

just a curius quistion i have a manual at home thanks though kinda figured that

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/06/06 at 10:47:54

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
can you mic the rotor as you start with the ceramic pads?

I never could tell if the ceramics were wearing on the stock rotor much or not.

I'll do that.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 01/06/06 at 10:48:33

Mine were replace under 5,000 miles, but I don't remember exactly when. I was a little surprised, but one side wore out much before the other would have, so if they had worn evenly I think I would have gotten more mileage out of the pair.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/06/06 at 10:50:43

Where's Clive on this one?  He always has input about brake pads Tongue

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/06/06 at 10:52:31

Great question!  I just got through taking my front brakes apart and lubing them.  I've got 1800 miles on my '05 Savage and the front brakes sounded like metal on metal.  The stock pads are still in great shape;  There is about a millimeter and a half left before the groove and another millmeter past it, so I'm not rubbing anything metal.  The book says replace at 1mm and I have better than 2.5mm.

The lube seems to be working, but There were snow flurries, so I only put in about 2 miles testing.

The stock pads are not organic.  I see lots of metal flakes embedded in the asbestos.  That's probably where the noise was coming from.  If so, the noise will be back.

I try to keep in practice using my back brakes.  I like to drag them a little as I enter corners, as well.  The bike feels much more stable that way.  But I still use the fronts for all my real braking.  The point is, the rear brakes appear to be fine, so far.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/06/06 at 10:56:09

Just a bit of thought...

Always use both brakes at the same time....

Always (try to, anyway) do your braking before a curve, not in the curve.  Then power through the curve....

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/06/06 at 11:11:05

I got my braking ideas from reading Nick Ienatsch and Lee Parks.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 01/06/06 at 11:46:31

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I got my braking ideas from reading Nick Ienatsch and Lee Parks.

I've had braking ideas before too, but I became a firm believer in the MSF techniques after I took the course.  They quickly dispelled a lot of my acquired bad habits....one of which, for me, was using the front brake too much.

It is never safe to rely on just the rear brake, and it is even worse to plan your braking in a curve rather than before...

The MSF technique is called "Slow, Look, Lean, Roll" which is what you'll see the pros do as they line up for a curve in a race.  They Slow before the curve, Look where they want the bike to go, Lean into the curve, and Roll on the throttle to keep the forward power.

Just remember that any braking puts more force on the front wheel and less on the rear.  That "lightens" the rear and makes the wheel easier to lock up.  When you are in a curve, the inertia of the bike is toward the outside, which is why you lean.  Then when you Roll on the throttle you also counteract that inertia by putting forward force on the rear wheel to push you through the curve.  

If you are braking with the rear in a curve, the rear could lock up and that inertia will "low side" you off the road or across the other lane....and the physics is pretty much the same with the front brake, but a "high side" usually hurts more.

Now, I know that we all do it.  We aren't pros and everyone of us has used the brakes in a curve for one reason or another.  All I'm saying is that it is not a good practice to rely on that technique.  Both brakes are best used together, and never in a curve.

BTW - ever watched any flat track races?  Most of those bikes don't even have brakes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:01:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.