Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Oily Mist
01/05/06 at 21:17:22

Yesterday I was considering removing my windshield for a bit (just to remember what it was like to ride without it) but something in front of me this morning on the way to work produced/released an oily mist that would have been all over me had I not still had mine in place.  Oddly enough, I only got it on my Leather Legs (half-chaps) and the portion of my helmet above the faceshield.  The windshield and headlight had a mist coating that some Windex from the office break room cleaned up nicely.  I was concerned that it might have come from my brakes or forks but I was unable to find any signs of leakage there and both items seem to be functioning properly.  I decided to leave the windshield in place.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Oily Mist
Reply #1 - 01/05/06 at 21:37:18

It sure wouldn't be the first time a 18wheeler was leaking a little fuel - been covered here a couple times

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/06/06 at 09:06:27

There's no telling what Gremlin had you in his sights, Rob. The other day I was behind a car that sprayed me with water out of the wipers. It just arced right over the top and hit my car right smack in the hood. I thought maybe for a second it was rain Grin

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/06 at 11:05:12

I hate it when that happens.
RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
There's no telling what Gremlin had you in his sights, Rob. The other day I was behind a car that sprayed me with water out of the wipers. It just arced right over the top and hit my car right smack in the hood. I thought maybe for a second it was rain Grin

My pet peeve is the lack of adequate mud flaps on american cars.  Some of them throw up enough spray that you can't see them or past them during a good rain.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/06/06 at 11:26:24

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I hate it when that happens.

My pet peeve is the lack of adequate mud flaps on american cars.  Some of them throw up enough spray that you can't see them or past them during a good rain.

Another reason to keep the windshield in place...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/06/06 at 13:30:53

Maybe you were following 007 and he released that famous oil spray.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

Reply #6 - 01/06/06 at 14:23:25

Or you could be behind one of our hometown cowboys, when they spit tobacco out the window, man that pi$$es me off. Hubby never took up the habit, but he's not a cowboy, I told grandsons if they dipped or chewed,  never do it around me. I will admit my bro-in-law talked me into trying it once when the two of us were building fence, oh Lord, no wonder they spit so often Tongue

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 01/06/06 at 14:55:42

I hate it when they spit, too.  Much better for them to swallow.

Tongue

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 01/06/06 at 20:07:20

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin - spilt my drink d@mnit

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

Reply #9 - 01/07/06 at 09:17:24

When I ws a young teenager, my Dad was still driving one of the trucks, I heard him tell another driver that he never took "pills" to stay awake, he just got a big chew of RedMan and was afraid to go to sleep for fear he'd swallow Grin   The one time Johnny got me to try it, it burned the inside of my mouth and tasted awful.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/07/06 at 12:41:30

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
When I ws a young teenager, my Dad was still driving one of the trucks, I heard him tell another driver that he never took "pills" to stay awake, he just got a big chew of RedMan and was afraid to go to sleep for fear he'd swallow Grin   The one time Johnny got me to try it, it burned the inside of my mouth and tasted awful.

I prefer a pinch of Skoal if I'm in the mood...not like the big wads of RedMan.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 01/07/06 at 12:51:04

I took up Copenhagen when I was in the Navy for those times when the smoking lamp was out, such as refueling, ammo onloads/offloads, weapons handling, etc.  Quit it all several years back and I'm darned glad too with the prices tobacco products go for these days.

diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #12 - 01/07/06 at 21:37:25

for my early years in the soft coal deep mines of westeren Pa. copenhagen was a hold over for the smokes. as soon as you hit the fresh air, time to light up. give up all that nonsense many years ago. sure glad I did now. probably added a few more years riding time to what's left for me now. diesel

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 01/08/06 at 01:17:05

I used to roll my own with Old Holbourn, gave up about 6 years ago, made the decision to stop one morning and did.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 01/08/06 at 07:33:22

This thread has taken a twist, but I'm ashamed to say that I recently started smoking again after being quit for 7 months.  It's on my resolution list though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:44:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oily Mist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.