Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: New Bike!!
Reply #15 - 01/07/06 at 07:48:20

guitarsr4girls2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
So I just picked up my 2000 Savage on Tuesday and it is awesome! Even though I'm already planning changes, I love the bike. It's a little small (I'm 6'0 tall), but it handles great and the price, of course, could not be beat. Mods to be made soon: paint, muffler, re-jet, iso grips, new pegs, maybe some forward controls...

I am stoked. Smiley

Did you get a yellow or green 2000?

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #16 - 01/07/06 at 08:15:40

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I recommend the Vista Cruise Lock for the bike.

I'd back that up.  I have one on mine, and it's a life saver for longer jaunts.  Gives you a chance to get your hand off, roll the wrist a bit and loosen it back up so it doesn't get too stiff.

If you're just around town, maybe not so good.  But if you feel like going places, I'd think it's worth it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #17 - 01/07/06 at 14:38:23

I'm 6ft and although my legs feel a little cramped, so far it's not really too bad. I generally feel comfortable on it. I've thought about different risers - (since I have 6" pullback risers) so I can extend my arms a bit. However, I probably won't mess with that unless I get forward controls. Who knows when that will be. I'm going to have to ride on some semi-long trips before I decide on the forward controls.
(I have no way of making them myself at the moment and I won't shell out $500 for pre-made ones...)

Anyhow, enjoy your new bike and keep us posted!

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #18 - 01/08/06 at 04:36:14

Hi guitarsr4girls2, conrats on the new bike. You will enjoy it. The Savage has so much to offer.

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
....I have a Throttlerocker on my Gold Wing and do not care for the Velcro mounting system....it slips.  The old ones had a good (non-Velcro) mounting system, but I doubt if you can find any of the old-style Throttlerockers for sale anywhere.....

Take a look here at the LockIt site, they have a good selection of items: http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesOther.htm

I had the Throttle Boss on my Savage, moved it to my VSTAR because that throttle was much tighter to twist. The Throttle Boss is all rubber and I've never had a problem with it slipping. I like it better also because it is smaller, fits my hand better.

I could only find a Throttle Rocker at the time, so it went on the Savage, but the velcro does slip, especially more so in colder weather.

LockIt also sells the Cramp Buster, in all 3 sizes! It does come with rubber, so I'm guessing it won't slip either once in place.

Gerry

IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/08/06 at 20:23:52

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I'm so glad to have somewhere to get all my questions answered. I'm definitely going to get some ISO grips on this baby, but I'm not sure about the throttle boss and all that. I've grown up in a biker family and they probably would never let me live it down if I "wussied" my bike, even if it made for a smoother ride (that's old school bikers for ya).

I haven't rode in a few days b/c I unexpectedly had my wisdom teeth pulled, but I'm telling you, I am in love with this bike. I can't wait to get over all this pain and jump back on. By the way, it's the yellow 2000 Savage.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 01/08/06 at 20:35:02

hey never mind what others, even family has to say, it's your butt on the seat, your hands on the controls, and you head.  do what feels right for you. thats the beauty of riding, and the savage.  

now a days my old school biker family rides with gel seats and throttle locks.  they prefer the freeway over the twisties.   so   so much for old school bikers.

most importantly,  do not let others push you to ride above your abilities.  if they go to fast, well you won't get to eat as much when you catch up to them for food.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 01/09/06 at 10:50:25

I'll take the twisties over the freeway anytime I can.  However, my best route to/from work happens to be the freeway so I get a fair amount of time on it.  My alternative is a circuitous route (still without twisties) with lots of intersections, stop signs and traffic lights along the way.  Sluggo is right though... do it your way.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/09/06 at 16:49:11

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:44:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Bike!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.