Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Bike!! (Read 5 times)
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

New Bike!!
01/05/06 at 07:15:03

So I just picked up my 2000 Savage on Tuesday and it is awesome! Even though I'm already planning changes, I love the bike. It's a little small (I'm 6'0 tall), but it handles great and the price, of course, could not be beat. Mods to be made soon: paint, muffler, re-jet, iso grips, new pegs, maybe some forward controls...

I am stoked. Smiley

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Re: New Bike!!
Reply #1 - 01/05/06 at 07:41:06

welcome you picked a great bike to play with, you came to the right place as well everyone here is very helpful and knowledgable  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/05/06 at 07:46:09

Congrat's on the new (to you) bike!  I am excited for you, I can feel it through your message.
Since you are considering changing grips, I would suggest you look at "eGrips".   I found mine on ebay and got them for about 1/3 off retail from a shop that was doing some year end cleanup.  I love them.  The rubber absorbs almost all of the vibration and they are ergonomically shaped which reduces road fatigue A LOT.  Before, when on a ride, I only took an hour or so for my hand to get tired holding the throttle.  I was thinking of getting one of those attachments to ease the fatigue but did not like the look of something hanging off the throttle.  I had seen the eGrips in an add and thought it might be an answer for the fatigue and the look, but the cost was more than I wanted to pay at the time.  Then I saw them on ebay for a great low price and snapped them up....AND I AM GLAD I DID.  This past Sunday we were on a Polar Bear ride, it started at 9:30 am  as I left the house and I got home at 5:30 pm.  My hand hardly got tired at all...it made for a great ride.  
I love em!

Anyway, take a look at them and see what you think.

RIDE WELL!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/05/06 at 07:59:12

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new bike!  There are a number of Texans on this site so you may be able to find someone near you who also owns a Savage/S40.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #4 - 01/05/06 at 08:05:26

I also think there are a number of Six Footers around here that can help you with the forward controls and other issues I will never have to deal with...being 5'-6"...
Welcome!

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/05/06 at 09:08:25

Welcome, Texas Girl, Congrats on the new bike.
                   Hook Um Horns

I have a set of throttle rockers on my bike and my girls both use them too. I like them because it rests my wrists especially the left one. I had to move them around a few times to get the right feel but would really miss them now. If you decide to get them don't buy at dealer, go to the Throttlerocker.com site, they are cheaper there.
What part of this Great State are you in?

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/05/06 at 09:25:52

Definitely get the throttlerockers.  One for each hand.

And a windshield.

And a #152.5 or #155 main jet.

Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 01/05/06 at 09:50:47

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Definitely get the throttlerockers.  One for each hand.

And a windshield.

And a #152.5 or #155 main jet.

Smiley

Guitars,

If you are thinking of a Throttlerocker-type product, take a look at the Crampbuster (the wide version).

I have a Throttlerocker on my Gold Wing and do not care for the Velcro mounting system....it slips.  The old ones had a good (non-Velcro) mounting system, but I doubt if you can find any of the old-style Throttlerockers for sale anywhere.  If I had it to do over again, I would get one of the wide Crampbusters.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 01/05/06 at 10:05:03

Woo!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 01/05/06 at 11:02:25

Congrats on the new bike.

As far as throttle rockers go, I think the velcro attachment leaves a lot to be desired. I was going down the road in a rainstorm and it just fell off. I haven't missed it though.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/05/06 at 11:28:18

I have never had a problem with mine and neither have my girls, strange huh?

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/05/06 at 15:05:41

I got some Kuryakyn ISO Grips and they are awesome.  .
U can get different attachments , like the throttle boss which u just rest the palm of ur hand on insted of a full grip.  I got the stilleto endcaps, but they even have helmet lock endcaps.  They have great rubber and I cant feel any vibration. They also make pegs. Get them on www.ebaymotors.com for a great deal like I did.

I would suggest forward controls.  Torque and I made our own and they rock.  Im 5ft 11 and I felt cramped also.  I thought about highway pegs but not having the option to brake or shift felt kinda vunerable.  I got a mac muffler (so does Savage Rob) and its awesome.  If you are looking to paint go with PPG.  Its some awesome quality and not too expensive (1 qt cost me 35.00 and it had pearl and metalflake in it.)  That was enough to paint both fenders and the tank.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 01/05/06 at 21:13:38

I agree on the Kuryakyn ISO grips.  I love mine.  They look great, feel comfortable and isolate vibration really well.  The Throttle Boss (by Kuryakyn to attach to their ISO grips) is pretty good too.  I got one in my stocking and put it on last week.  At 5' 9", I'm short enough that forward controls would be fun but are by no means essential.  But at 6 feet tall you will probably like them a lot on the Savage.  Muffler and rejet are two things I'd consider essential to release the beast - along with an upgraded air filter.  A windshield was mentioned earlier as a good addition.  That is always a matter of opinion and I'll agree the bike looks better without one.  However, it keeps a lot of road crap off of me and I like that functionality a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 01/06/06 at 02:21:42

I can't remember the make but I have 1.5" diameter grips and find them good for comfort compared to std skinny grips (I have 7/8" bars)

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 01/07/06 at 07:47:39

I recommend the Vista Cruise Lock for the bike.

You can completely remove your hand from the throotle if you wish.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:59:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Bike!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.