Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch problem (Read 1 times)
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Clutch problem
Reply #15 - 01/02/06 at 15:47:59

I think my bike is possessed.  I wonder if the original owner died.   Shocked

We have put so much work into the bike and my clutch breaks without any warning..  I know its kinda old 95 but its not high milage.

So far lets see..  the clutch thingy broke, the cam chain broke and bent the valves via piston.  it has ditched 2 battery covers,  broke a fork seal (before I got it).
I wonder whats next???  only time will tell.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 01/06/06 at 11:10:01

I'm about to take my bike apart over this  Tongue

What is the purpose of the flats on the shaft, #28?

Why are there flats in the hole of the cam, #24?

If #27 is just a washer, what holds the darn thing, #24, on the shaft?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #17 - 01/06/06 at 12:33:44

the shaft slides into a hole that is part of the crank case cover.

the shaft has to be flat just like the inside of the cam,just like male,female adapters.the cam depresses the clutch.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 01/06/06 at 13:15:22

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
the shaft slides into a hole that is part of the crank case cover.

the shaft has to be flat just like the inside of the cam,just like male,female adapters.the cam depresses the clutch.

I got all that.  I've had mine out, but maybe I've had a brain fart.  

My questions are...

What is the cotter pin, #29, holding together?  The outside clutch arm and the actuator shaft, right?  #29 to #25?

What does the washer, #27, do?

Maybe I remember...Does the end of the shaft, #29, fit into something else inside the case with the washer in between?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #19 - 01/06/06 at 13:52:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I got all that.  I've had mine out, but maybe I've had a brain fart.  

My questions are...

What is the cotter pin, #29, holding together?  The outside clutch arm and the actuator shaft, right?  #29 to #25?

What does the washer, #27, do?

Maybe I remember...Does the end of the shaft, #29, fit into something else inside the case with the washer in between?

the end of the shaft fits into a protrusion sticking out from the case,(the protrusion is part of the solid case)

the washer is there just as spacer and a form of antifriction,between the cam and case protrusion.

the cotter pin holds the shaft from sliding out of the case.the cable lever and the shaft are one solid piece.
in other words go to your bike and try to pull the cable lever/shaft out of thr engine case,it won't come out,because the cotter pin is on the inside of the case,and through the shaft .

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 01/06/06 at 14:25:46

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
the end of the shaft fits into a protrusion sticking out from the case,(the protrusion is part of the solid case)

the washer is there just as spacer and a form of antifriction,between the cam and case protrusion.

the cotter pin holds the shaft from sliding out of the case.the cable lever and the shaft are one solid piece.
in other words go to your bike and try to pull the cable lever/shaft out of thr engine case,it won't come out,because the cotter pin is on the inside of the case,and through the shaft .

Okay.  Now I got it, or I remember.  Not 2 pieces.  Thanks.  I was just trying to clarify my earlier comment about the cotter pin shearing off...but now I see that ain't so.

So, Jim just had bad luck and the cam broke.  The good side is that the broken piece didn't get into the primary gears or the oil pump drive.

I'll shut up now  Tongue

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #21 - 01/06/06 at 15:00:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
So, Jim just had bad luck and the cam broke.  The good side is that the broken piece didn't get into the primary gears or the oil pump drive.

yeah he is really lucky,that it didnt fall into the gears,that would have been one mell of a hess

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 01/06/06 at 15:05:39

He also did the smart thing to stop.  Me?  I know that I'd have gotten it rolling in first and tried to jerk back home without the clutch....just the time that piece might need to really mess it up....He's lucky to have a Friendly Savage Towing Service close by.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/06/06 at 15:53:44

Yeah as well as a super motorcycle mechanic like Torque and his dad's tools and ingenuity.  So I guess I am lucky in some strange way.  I'm def glad I didnt have to get a new clutch.  My bike might be fighting its restoration but I wont give up until she is done.

Oh when the clutch gave out and I came to a stop I thought about it for a second.   I turned the bike off and went into neutral.  Started it up and gave it a little gas and shifted into 1st.  I almost flipped.  Then I tried to shift into neutral and shift into 2nd.  It stalled.

So I said bump this and started it into 2nd gear and chug chug chug (fart) away I go.  Super rough but no dangerous wheelies hahaha.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:42:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.