Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold Starts (Read 3 times)
Button
Ex Member

Cold Starts
01/02/06 at 14:44:04

Have a 95 Savage 650 and live in Ohio. When tempatures gets below 60 I have problems starting it.  It has just under 15,000 miles on it.  We keep a trickler battery charger on it and just put a new battery in it before cold weather hit. Had this problem last year also. Any suggestions on solving this problem. It is 50 here and I want to get it out since i just had a new paint job done on it.  Replaced spark plug last year and only has about 1500 miles on it.  :'(

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Cold Starts
Reply #1 - 01/02/06 at 17:18:01

You say won't start so must assume it is cranking OK and cranking speed and battery voltage is up to specs. Also compression release is working correctly. Any air leak in the tube between the carb and flange at the head will lean out the starting enrichment device attempts to provide a rich enough mixture to start. It really isn't a choke, but a parallel small diameter air/fuel mixing device to the carb plunger. When pulled out all the way it allows extra air and fuel in to start the engine and slightly increase the cold idle speed to overcome the cold engine rotational resistance and not so good a/f mixture due to poor fuel vaporization in the cold intake tract. If it isn't working as designed it will not give you the additional fuel you need for a speedy start. As yours is a 95 passages could be partially plugged in the carb or the clamps loosened on the intake hose/pipe or even a cracked hose from heat and exposure to the elements. Use a good light to inspect the intacke system. I believe the enricher will unscrew so you can inspect part of it w/o removing the carb. some aerosol carb cleaner sprayed into the passages in the carb after removing the plunger may help also.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/06 at 18:35:09

I think Max is giving good advice.

Even though your battery is new and if it is not a maintanence free battery, check the fluid level to be sure it covers the plates.
If I recall a rule of thumb correctly, a battery in good shape looses at least 40% of its power at 32 degrees. A compromised battery looses even more at low temperature.

IP Logged
Button
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/06 at 16:05:09

Thanks for the info as soon as it warms up to get into the garage we are going to change the spark plug, air filter and check everything out. once that happens we will let you know how it work. ( our furnace man hasn't hooked up the lp lines yet!!!)

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/04/06 at 17:47:26

We keep Battery Tenders on the bikes here and have learned that you have to keep watch on the water in the battery. It's not easy but sure worth the time.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/06/06 at 11:32:28

Thanks for the reminder. Smiley

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
We keep Battery Tenders on the bikes here and have learned that you have to keep watch on the water in the battery. It's not easy but sure worth the time.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 01/06/06 at 13:14:21

Double check your battery voltage. Make sure there isn't something wrong with your tender.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 01/06/06 at 13:23:05

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

Yes, "we" sure have, haven't we?   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/06/06 at 13:26:22

How about engine oil?  Not running any variety of gear oil are we?

Check your connections on the starter, and the starter relay under the seat.  

Battery cables in good shape too?  Take a peek under the insulation jacket and make sure there isn't a bunch of greenish corrosion on the conductors.

IP Logged
Button
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/06/06 at 15:11:34

Got it started last night. Changed out the plug again, think it fouled out last year when we discovered a hole in the hose. Then found the air filter is dirty. Battery and tender are band new. Once we get this all check and changes out don't thnk I will have any more problems thanks to everyone for their advise.  Now for weather above 30!! Smiley Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:58:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold Starts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.