Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing original tires on 2001 Savage (Read 5 times)
SavageRider
Ex Member

Replacing original tires on 2001 Savage
12/28/05 at 15:21:42

I would like to replace (what I believe) are the original IRC brand tires on my 2001 Savage. Not necessarily because of poor tread but because of the age of the rubber. I looked for a date stamp but there doesn't seem to be one that I understand anyway and they are at least five years old.
Also, when replacing the tires, how are they balanced by the installer? Do they do a bubble balance or a high speed balance like a car to determine where weights go?
I've looked at several tire Manuf. web sites but can't seem to find both tire sizes from one place. I'm next going to try the local dealer or M.C. shop in my area but thought I would post here first, for group wisdom.

Thanks

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Re: Replacing original tires on 2001 Savage
Reply #1 - 12/28/05 at 15:24:48

try www.mawonline.com ordered two dunlop 404 for 109 including shipping they have all the brands and cheap shipping

IP Logged
SavageRider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/06 at 12:48:57

Thanks for the info, saabsaviur!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/03/06 at 10:51:11

Here are some other sites to check for tires:

http://www.americanmototire.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d872.html

http://www.swmototires.com/

I haven't tried either one myself.  I get tires at my local dealer......he's got internet prices!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/03/06 at 12:56:27

I got my last set here:

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/

I got a great deal at the time for a set of Dunlop 491's.

If you aren't mounting/balancing yourself, it may be worthwhile to see what the dealer is going to charge you for it.  Sometimes they'll do that part for free/discount if you buy the tires from them.  Just be sure to take that into account when buying from the internet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/03/06 at 21:44:26

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I got my last set here:

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/

I got a great deal at the time for a set of Dunlop 491's.

If you aren't mounting/balancing yourself, it may be worthwhile to see what the dealer is going to charge you for it.  Sometimes they'll do that part for free/discount if you buy the tires from them.  Just be sure to take that into account when buying from the internet.

This is what I thought when I bought tires.  Figured buying locally is always good and if they would do that for free it might even things out a bit.  But that didn't turn out to be the case.  Full MSRP for tires at 4 shops.  All wanted something like $20 a tire extra to mount and balance.  Said it would be the same price as if I brought in my own.  If these places honestly expect to lure people back from online buying they better get their act together and become competitive or they stand to lose a lot more business in the coming years.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 01/04/06 at 09:01:26

Hammy,

To bad you don't live near Colorado Springs.  One of the local dealers here (Apex Sports) sells tires at prices that are never more than 5% above internet prices.  On top of that, I get a 3% discount at the shop because I use my AMA VISA card.

Can't beat it!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:17:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing original tires on 2001 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.