Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Progressive Shocks (Read 19 times)
cards385
Ex Member

Progressive Shocks
11/30/05 at 17:13:42

I need some advise. I have decided to buy the 11.5 inch progressive shocks. I am 220 lb. Would you recommend  the standard (412-4201C) or the heavy duty (412-4236C), they are both 11.5 inch. Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Progressive Shocks
Reply #1 - 11/30/05 at 19:50:58

Mine are the standard 12.5" 412 Progressives. I weigh around 250 & use the lowest preload setting. Rides creamy smooth on the bumpiest roads but still handles great in the corners, no sloppy wallows. I think with 11.5" Progressives you'd still have plenty of travel without bottoming out. I haven't even tried the stiffer settings yet but probably no need to. I think since these shocks were designed for a heavier bike, they're already pretty stout.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 11/30/05 at 20:47:17

I'd sure agree - the 11.5" 115/155lb 412-4201C or the 11" 412-4233C are as stout as I would expect you'd ever need on this bike w/the 5 preloads - unless you want a hard tail/ridged type ride - man I sure don't.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/30/05 at 21:10:58

Hey guys, I have a set of lightly used 13" 412's that I will let go for just $60, shp incl.  If anyone wants them just give a holler.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/01/05 at 04:19:23

I weigh in around 190 lbs.  The Progressive shocks I used are 12.5 inch 412-4207C+.  If I recall correctly these are used on the Intruder and are not considered heavy duty for the Intruder.

Even loading up (65+ lbs) the Savage for travel I have found no problems with shock travel or control/stability (in its sofest setting) in a variety of situations.  However, I did have to modify (a little Dremel cutting and grinding) the belt guard to get clearance for the front pulley and belt.  If I was going to replace the shocks again, I would not use anything taller than 12 inches.  Others have found no problems using even taller shocks. Go figure.

IP Logged
cards385
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/05 at 05:28:19

Once again this forum answers all your questions. You guys really helped me out. Thanks alot. I just purchased the 11.5 " #412-4201C Progressive shocks. Its a christmas present from my wife, I'll let her know what she bought me when I get home from work tonight. Now the big question.....do I wrap them and put them under the tree or do I put them on my 03 Savage and ride. Thanks again for the advise.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 12/01/05 at 05:43:29

cards385 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Once again this forum answers all your questions. You guys really helped me out. Thanks alot. I just purchased the 11.5 " #412-4201C Progressive shocks. Its a christmas present from my wife, I'll let her know what she bought me when I get home from work tonight. Now the big question.....do I wrap them and put them under the tree or do I put them on my 03 Savage and ride. Thanks again for the advise.

Congratulations!  I think you're gonna love those shocks.  I have the heavy duty 12.5" versions on mine and I feel the 11.5" standard versions would have been just fine too.  As for your dilemma, put 'em on and ride.  Then put your old shocks in a box, wrap 'em and put 'em under the tree to remind yourself.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cards385
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/01/05 at 05:58:43

Thats a great idea! In fact my wife wouldn't know the difference between the stock shocks and the new progressive shocks. I'll just shine up the old ones and put them neatly in the progressive box. Just hope for a little warmer weather for a day so I can get out and try them out. I'll let you guys know how they ride. Rob, thanks for the great idea. I'll blame you if she finds out.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 12/01/05 at 06:15:34

Tip toe lightly, lest you get caught dude!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 12/01/05 at 08:57:51

cards385 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Thats a great idea! In fact my wife wouldn't know the difference between the stock shocks and the new progressive shocks. I'll just shine up the old ones and put them neatly in the progressive box. Just hope for a little warmer weather for a day so I can get out and try them out. I'll let you guys know how they ride. Rob, thanks for the great idea. I'll blame you if she finds out.

Now I didn't say not to tell her what's going on...

As for me, my new Icon Strongarm jacket is hanging in the closet untouched waiting until my birthday near the end of the month, at which time I'll be able to wear it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 12/01/05 at 09:05:19

You cannot wear your jacket until your birthday?  Sounds like someone is directing your behavior on this issue...??  eh??

Not to be outdone, I am getting a new computer for Christmas, and according to someone else in my house...I cannot play with it until Christmas morning.  Oh yeh, I AM THE MAN OF MY HOUSE ALL RIGHT!  And I can do anything I want to...any time...any way...as long as I behave properly of course.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #11 - 12/01/05 at 10:28:44

Lancer ..It sounds like you may be the head of the house !!  But someone else is the neck that points you in the direction they see fit !!    heheheheheh

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 12/01/05 at 11:40:44

I'm just playing fair.  She's already told me to go ahead and wear it.  However, if I put it on it's no longer my birthday present.  It's just something I bought and she gets to go shopping for another birthday present.  I don't see the need to do that, so I'll wait a few weeks.

cards385
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/28/05 at 17:22:20

Installed my new 11.5 inch progressive shocks today and went out for a ride. It was about 45 degrees today, so it was a great day to take a test ride. All I can say is that these shocks are worth every penny. I found myself trying to hit the bumps to see if I felt them. The bumps that used to rattle my teeth now are hardly felt at all. What a difference. I also installed some heated grip wraps. My hands were nice and warm. Both shocks and heated wraps were easy to install and made my ride today very comfortable. I highly recommend both. Next is the superbrace.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #14 - 12/28/05 at 19:01:52

OK, I have dumb question about shocks.  

If you use 12.5 " shocks instead of 11.5" shocks, does the rear end of the bike go up and inch or so?  Is that the reason for choosing longer shocks?

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:45:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Progressive Shocks