Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn signal conversion -- add run/brake lights (Read 1 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Turn signal conversion -- add run/brake lights
12/26/05 at 18:28:06

Full Story in Technical -- blather in this thread.
Been looking at them for a while, put on my wish list, got for Christmas.  Installed today and they operate as advertized.  Amber turn signals, red running and brake lights.  The pulling of the wire thru the turn signal stems and up under the seat is the major part of the job.  

For those not wishing to pull wire, there is anorher kit available that uses the stock bulb/wiring, just adds an electronic thingie under the seat.  But to be legal you would need to also change out the amber lenses for red.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Turn signal conversion -- add run/brake lights
Reply #1 - 12/26/05 at 19:28:27

Neato.  

This looks like a really good use of LEDs. They glow red through the amber lenses. I'm suprised by that.  What color are the LEDS?

If you look at the video on the website, you can actually tell that the LEDs get up to full brightness faster than the incandescent brake light when the brake is applied.  

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/26/05 at 20:23:58

I recently replaced my turn signal's lens with clear ones and front amber leds.  When I use the signal it blinks faster because less of a draw on the circuit.  I went with silver coated amber rear bulbs so the blinking didnt get too fast.    I also replaced my rear tail light lens with a red led and it rocks.  I am hoping that the leds really last 100 000 hours so I wont have to replace them.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 12/26/05 at 20:29:57

Thank you for the review!  I've been considering that kit for some time.  At least now I know they work as advertised and are actually bright enough.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 12/26/05 at 21:00:59

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I recently replaced my turn signal's lens with clear ones and front amber leds.  When I use the signal it blinks faster because less of a draw on the circuit.  I went with silver coated amber rear bulbs so the blinking didnt get too fast.    I also replaced my rear tail light lens with a red led and it rocks.  I am hoping that the leds really last 100 000 hours so I wont have to replace them.

Jim,

You might be able to fix the blinking problem by installing a resistor in the circuit.  

Also, if you're trying to get away from the "egg yolk" look of amber bulbs behind clear lenses, there is a cheap way.  You get silver exhaust paint and spray the top of the amber bulbs lightly with the silver paint.  

Is your brake light lens clear, too?  Are the LEDs as bright as stock?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 12/27/05 at 04:35:49

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
.... They glow red through the amber lenses. I'm suprised by that.  What color are the LEDS?....

Would you believe I never bothered checking?  Probably red as that wavelength would pass the amber plastic unaffected.   I have an 1157 bulb in the taillight and the LEDs are of an equivalent brightness.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 12/27/05 at 04:52:50

Very interesting product - never have seen any before - these could very well help get some fools atten. thanks

IP Logged
Jim Ball

Reply #7 - 12/27/05 at 14:21:00

Yes, thanks for the report ! Gotta get me some of those !

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/27/05 at 17:00:38

yeah the rear is red leds too.  Its kinda funny because I got a red dot for a running light but when I press on the brake it is bright.

Kinda wierd lol

oh and the flasher we replaced took care of the faster blinking problem.

I heard of the silver rattle can method but I heard it actually makes the lights dimmer.  and it could melt if it was always on like the front signals are.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 12/27/05 at 19:03:34

Yep, the silver paint does decrease the brightness some.  They're just a lot cheaper.

Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:35:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal conversion -- add run/brake lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.