Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electrical problem on the Savage (Read 7 times)
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Electrical problem on the Savage
12/21/05 at 00:29:14

Hi.
looks like a good discussion group, my  first time here.

I am from Australia and the Savage was imported to Australia for one year in 1986 and never really took off  in sales.
Shame as its a nice bike.
My 1986 Savage has a problem. All I did was changed the decompression unit /solonoid and placed the tank back on and the bike would not run past idle and  started blowing  black smoke out of the exhaust, like it was choking.
A day later it would not start.Found the problem no spark at all

Ive changed the cdi and the coil and its made no difference, still no spark.Have also checked for shorts and nothing.
Ive ordered a new stator and pickup coil and hoping this will bring the spark back.

The bike run well before i changed this part, but the decompression unit was not working properly reason for changing it.
Has anyone had this problem before, or can anyone tell me if I am going about this the right way?
My 1986 Savage has done 95,000km  and the motor was reconditioned 8 months ago.
Thanks Gary

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Electrical problem on the Savage
Reply #1 - 12/21/05 at 02:02:30

Check the timer unit. That's the little black box just before the tank. This controls the solenoid and kicks-in the startermotor.
Make sure the decompressor solenoid is adjusted properly.
I would also check the electrical connectors that might have been disturbed when you did the work. Check the battery connections and the small wire connector coming from the - of the battery.

Good luck and greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/21/05 at 03:04:21

thanks for the info.It could be a short like you said.

When I turn the kill switch to the off position .....I get one short spark coming from the plug.Yet when i kick the bike over with it switched on.... no spark.
Does anyone have an idea why thats happening?
Cheers Gary

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 12/21/05 at 06:35:42

Welcome aboard,
I haven't had to chase this type of issue very far - as said could very well be one of the connectors under the seat/tank or a pinched wire to ground along they way or switch it self, or one of the interlocks (kick stand, clutch, nutrl).

I'd do this: pull the seat and the tank. disconnect and inspect all the connectors and the pair of 20A fuses for any sign of corrosion, if there is any clean them up , and either test of replace the 2 fuses. If this all looks good  i'd pick a starting point - the orange/white wire at the coil (bottom wire) - this should be hot with the key on, and the stop/run switch on - is it?  

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 12/21/05 at 07:01:51

The spark when the ignition is shut off shows the coil is working and getting power it just doesn't know when to fire. When you shut the power off the magnetic field around the coil collaspes and generates the spark, nothing to worry about. If it was running before you worked on it check all the connectors, there is a good chance one was knocked loose. Let us all know how you are making out and welcome to the best board around.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 12/21/05 at 07:24:12

I don't know the prices in Au, but You have spent pretty penny so far. Always is better to do some tests before You order parts.
The way You are describing the symptoms it sounds like one of the two - CDI or pick-up coil  which is a part of the stator assy. The best cace scenario is disconnected pick-up coil connector.
Take off the left side cover , and find the orange and green wire, white 2-prong connector. See is it connected good. If it is not- connect it and check for spark. If it is connected, disconnect it and check the resistance between the orange and green wire. The resistance should be 175-265 ohms. Also check the resistance between any one of these wires and the ground. It should be O.L or infinity. If any of these measurements are not in the specs- bad pick-up coil.
About the CDI- when the key is ON - You should have power at the O/W wire and B/W wire should be connected to ground.
I hope this helps

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/21/05 at 15:29:23

Thanks everyone for your help so far.I have got spark back again.
The earth wire on the coil had some wire showing and must have been hitting the body work.

Bike is acting weird now  though.It does start, but is blowing black smoke out of the exhaust.
Cannot be the carby as i have a spare,  put that on and its doing the same thing. Also have a spare coil and cdi and no change.
Basically the bike will not come off idle .....if it does it will just stall.To me its like the bike is getting fuel  and not igniting it properly.
Have noticed the white connector on the rectifier is really hot. Is  this normal?

Cheers Gary

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 12/21/05 at 19:28:06

be sure the petc0ck is working correct - otherwise if it has cracked it can let raw be sucked into the engine - as well as other ugly things - see if there is gas in the vac line to the petc0ck - or plug both ends and run on pri and see if it's better

IP Logged
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/21/05 at 21:03:15

Thanks to all of you here... for all the great comments, they sure have been helpful.

I took my Savage to a mechanic and he could not fix itSmiley hehe  you wonder where they get their training.

Found the problem today, it was the side stand relay, must have shorted the system out. Its good to have the old girl running again.

I have done a couple of modifications to my 1986 Savage.Replaced the rear tyre with a wider type 140/90-15,  sure gives the Savage better road handling.
If you would like to email me, I can tell you how this is done .You will have trouble with the tyre rubbing in certain areas under the guard.

Have a good Xmas guys..... the helps been great
Cheers Gary in Australia

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/22/05 at 02:41:59

I just bought a 140/90-15 off ebay!   It's going to rub?  Tell me what you did?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 12/22/05 at 11:34:55

The rubbing was on the left side, especially if you have the saddlebag supports installed.  I did several things that relieved this.  First, I replaced the mounting bolts inside the fender with mushroom head allen bolts and raised the shocks to their highest preset position.  This seemed to relieve the rubbing but I later removed the saddlebag supports when I installed a trunk.  I have since replaced the trunk with an ammo box and reinstalled the saddlebag supports but I've also upgraded my shocks to 12.5" Progressives.  The additional height from the shocks removes any chance of rubbing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/22/05 at 21:08:00

Hi,
I did not have a lot of trouble with my Savage, the rear  140/90-15  tyre only rubbed slightly and mainly on the left hand side.

All I did was take off the hexagon nuts  underneath the  lower rear guard and gave them a bit of a grind on the head.

Just a matter of leaving enough on them so you can fit a spanner on to tighten and untighten  for future use.

Have a good Xmas everyone

Cheers Gary

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #12 - 12/23/05 at 16:44:15

my 140/90 fit perfect with no mods now i have a 130/90,it does much better burnouts Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 12/23/05 at 22:45:55

Seriously, if you don't have the saddlebag supports installed, it may not rub at all.  If it does, adjusting the shock preset would probably take care of it.  It's just that the saddlebag supports mount inside the fender and make the bolts extend toward the tire a bit more than it would otherwise.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 12/24/05 at 03:19:33

I have a new 140/90 tire on mine with not problems at all...but then mine is up in the air a bit with the taller shocks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:04:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical problem on the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.