Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve Adjustment (Read 17 times)
Tim Krantz

Re: Valve Adjustment
Reply #15 - 01/04/06 at 21:52:34

Digger:
  Can you give us unlearned the formula,for instance, using a 6 inch-long combination wrench in conjuction with a orque wrench? Say the torque straight without, and with the wrench? Thanks
                                  Tim

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 01/06/06 at 09:23:54

Tim Krantz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Digger:
  Can you give us unlearned the formula,for instance, using a 6 inch-long combination wrench in conjuction with a orque wrench? Say the torque straight without, and with the wrench? Thanks
                                  Tim

Tim,

Sure.

The basic formula for torque is: T=F x D  (Torque equals force times distance).  Keep in mind that your torque wrench, while it reads in units of torque (ft-lbs) is actually measuring the force (F) you are applying to it.  Since the length (D) of the torque wrench is fixed, this force can be displayed as torque.  Note that the length (D) is often referred to as the "moment arm."

You need two length measurements.

The first measurement you need is the length of the torque wrench's moment arm (huh?).  This is the distance from the point your hand applies force to the wrench to the middle of the wrench's drive square.  Let's call this length "D."  Let's assume that, for the example below, that D is equal to one foot.

The next measurement you will need is the new moment arm you get when you add your six-inch combo wrench on to the end of the torque wrench.  Measure this the same way you did for the first measurement, except you don't measure to the location of the middle of the torque wrench's drive square, you measure instead to the location that corresponds to where the concentric center of the bolt would be on the combo wrench if you were trying to torque the bolt.  Let's say this new distance is D' or, for our example, 1.5 feet.

Example:

Let's assume you are going for 10 ft-lbs of torque, but you can't get your torque wrench on the darned bolt.  You can, however, get your six-inch combo wrench on the bolt.

So you cleverly hook up the combo wrench to the torque wrench (keeping the whole contraption as "straight" as possible [for an accurate torque calculation]).

For the basic torque wrench,

T = F x D, or

10 = F x 1 (for the basic torque wrench)

Therefore, F = 10 / 1, or 10 lbs.  What this is saying is that you need to apply 10 lbs of force to your 1 foot-long (moment arm) torque wrench to get 10 ft-lbs of torque.  Remember from the discussion above that your torque wrench is really measuring the force you are applying to its handle.

Now, with your six-inch combo wrench hooked up to the torque wrench as a "torque adapter," here are the new calculations:

T = F x D', or

10 = F x 1.5

Therefore, F = 10 / 1.5, or about 6.7 lbs.  So, you'll need to apply 6.7 lbs of force to your torque wrench to get 10 ft-lbs of torque on the bolt.

In General:

After you do all of the algebra, you can use the following formula for any torque adapter you care to piece together:

T' = T x (D / D'); where

T = Desired torque on the fastener
D = Moment arm of basic torque wrench
D' = Moment arm of the torque wrench and torque adapter combination
T' = Reading you want to see on the torque wrench to get the proper torque on the fastener while you are using a torque adapter.

FWIW, every time I invent a new torque adapter (I've got about eight ones I use nowadays), I write down, in my maintenance book, a description of the torque adapter and its corresonding torque conversion factor (the value of the "T x (D / D')" term).

I hate to hit you with all of the math, but this is how it works.

Clear as mud?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 01/06/06 at 10:00:25

Good job Digger, but now let me muddy the water just a bit more with an addendum.

Your adaptors are all calculating the distance from the object to be tightened to the point of force in a straight line....for example, if you extend the torque wrench by 1" with something like a crowsfoot then you add the 1" to your distance to reduce your indicated force.  Just as you clearly detail above with your calculations....

However, there is that rare occassion where the force isn't appled in a straight line to the object, for whatever reason....like maybe those pesky upside down head nuts front and rear.  In this case, you'll need to remember some of those old geometric formulas (because you can't just add the lengths together)....and use those results as D in your calculations above.  That is why I tossed out the a2 + b2 = c2 formula which will figure the length of D.  If the adaptor (a) is at a 90o angle with the torque wrench (b), then the actual distance D would would be found with c.

That is (since I'm not sure how to enter the symbols here)....

c = the square root of (a2 + b2)

Whew...I could go into scalene and isosceles triangles, but now my head is beginning to hurt  Tongue

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/06/06 at 11:00:41

Or you could set the torque wrench correctly and put it on something accessible, like your axle, just to see what it feels like.  Then use whatever dohickey you have to use to tighten whatever about that tight.

Probably just as accurate.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 01/06/06 at 11:13:39

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Or you could set the torque wrench correctly and put it on something accessible, like your axle, just to see what it feels like.  Then use whatever dohickey you have to use to tighten whatever about that tight.

Probably just as accurate.

Ah, the "calbrated elbow" trick.  Got it, but it won't work with me.  I have joints that click all the time  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #20 - 01/06/06 at 11:36:37

In the old days we used the simple and infallible torque rule learned on British iron "Tighten till it strips, then back off half a turn"  A more refined version is given by Sheldon Brown, the guru of bicycle mechanics:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html
enjoy  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 01/06/06 at 13:29:02

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
In the old days we used the simple and infallible torque rule learned on British iron "Tighten till it strips, then back off half a turn"  A more refined version is given by Sheldon Brown, the guru of bicycle mechanics:
enjoy  Wink

Grin

IP Logged
Tim Krantz

Reply #22 - 01/06/06 at 14:11:27

Thanks Digger,printed it out.

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/06/06 at 16:56:20

Can I use that in my signature?
Smiley
rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
enjoy  Wink

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 01/07/06 at 11:04:06

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Good job Digger, but now let me muddy the water just a bit more with an addendum.

Your adaptors are all calculating the distance from the object to be tightened to the point of force in a straight line....for example, if you extend the torque wrench by 1" with something like a crowsfoot then you add the 1" to your distance to reduce your indicated force.  Just as you clearly detail above with your calculations....

However, there is that rare occassion where the force isn't appled in a straight line to the object, for whatever reason....like maybe those pesky upside down head nuts front and rear.  In this case, you'll need to remember some of those old geometric formulas (because you can't just add the lengths together)....and use those results as D in your calculations above.  That is why I tossed out the a2 + b2 = c2 formula which will figure the length of D.  If the adaptor (a) is at a 90o angle with the torque wrench (b), then the actual distance D would would be found with c.

That is (since I'm not sure how to enter the symbols here)....

c = the square root of (a2 + b2)

Whew...I could go into scalene and isosceles triangles, but now my head is beginning to hurt  Tongue

Greg,

No arguments there.  However, with the eight different torque adapters I've had to invent thus far (for bikes AND cars), I've not had to do anything at a right angle.

Usually a combo wrench placed on the drive square of a torque wrench creates a slight offset from the straight line of the torque wrench.  I've done the calculations with this slight angle included and found that the difference is neglible.

Thanks for the correction!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 01/07/06 at 12:39:39

I just added to what you very correctly started.  I think this subject may have been long overdue too.  Besides, as I get older, I find a little math to be a fun change.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:24:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.