Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Valve Adjustment
12/18/05 at 12:07:14

Just finished a valve adjustment, well sort of, on my '02. Got all the tools together, ground down a large washer for the side plug, got a comfortable chair and took the bike apart. Boy was I surprised, when I checked the lash the intake and exhaust was at a tight 5 thousands, right at specs. Cheesy. Being a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I buttoned everything back up. I guess the main reason for my delighted surprise is that I bought the bike used with no record of any maintance ever being done and really expected that the valves would need some adjusting. Real glad that that I didn't take the bike into the stealership, would of been charged for nothing. How many out there have had the same sort of thing happen, starting a job that didn't need to be done?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Valve Adjustment
Reply #1 - 12/18/05 at 12:51:02

Same thing happened to me when I did the first 600 mi service on my 05 S40. The valves' clearance were all on the ball. So I went through all the trouble of taking off the tank to inspect the intake valves for nothing Smiley. But I did come out ahead with $300 in my wallet. Wink This is why I love SAVAGE(reliable and trustworthy). Come to think of it, my wife is the same Grin. I think I'll keep the wife and Savage as my mistress 8)

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 12/30/05 at 09:27:53

I have checked the valve lash every year on both our bikes.  Maybe even twice a year if I took it apart.  When new, I set it in the middle at .004"....and as you state, it has never changed....or if it has, only by .001"

In fact, I have loosened, adjusted and retightened simply because I couldn't believe it was correct.  The adjusters may be old fashioned and not be high tech, fancy, bucket and shim, but there is little wear and they don't come loose.

I lost an excuse to drink beer with this one  Shocked

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #3 - 12/30/05 at 16:12:58

D@MN!
You are supposed to have an excuse?? ???

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 12/30/05 at 16:58:55

Darn right.  But this winter I'll replace it with exhaust port grinding.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Re: Valve AdjustmentThanks to helpful information
Reply #5 - 12/31/05 at 15:13:44

Thanks to helpful information from this forum supplementing my Clymer manual I thought I would breeze through my first break-in service, including the valves.  Reality was not so simple, particularly retightening the head bolts.  I mean, what a chore to get to – seat off, tank off, side cover off, top engine mount off, head cover off with all those fiddly bolts!  At least I knew which to remove, leave in place or not to touch.  Naturally I rotated the engine ANTI-clockwise to set TDC after being alerted to Clymer’s error on this site.

The head cover was still snug and I resisted the temptation to pry against the fins having learned a bitter lesson doing this in the past on another bike.  A firm upward pull did the trick.  Ah ha – there’s that famous plug that has to come out to get to the front right head nut.  I popped it out cleanly from underneath using a bent hex key wrench leveraging against the head nut.   There was no sealant applied from the factory.  

Now to the first problem – no way could I use my trusty Snap On torque wrench in the tight clearance for the front and rear studs under the head.  So I figured I’d just torque the four main stud nuts with the copper washers after backing them off a quarter turn or so.  A final tightening at 24 ft.lbs. put them back near original so nothing had loosened much.  I also checked the two stud nuts under the head by “feel” and they seemed good.  Leave well enough alone.  

I popped in a new cover plug but the original looked fine.  Here came the first Uh-Oh!  I got the prescribed Suzuki sealant, Three Bond #1216 from the dealer and it is a grey paste unlike the factory black silicone RTV.  Hmmmm….. too late now so I ran a bead in the groove of the plug and tapped it in squarely with a socket.  Now came the laborious part cleaning all the original black RTV cement.  Acetone and xylenes (carb cleaner) worked well.  Next I applied moly assembly lube to all those pesky head cover bolt threads to be sure none seized and stripped during future tear downs.  

Not much room to slip the cover back in and from the left seemed best.  Now I had to worry about that O-ring and breather mesh falling loose and hurry before the new cement set.  Everything seemed fine so now it was time to tighten the bolts in stages.  Again, there was little room for a wrench so I used a fisherman’s spring scale and offset box wrench to set the final 6 ft.lbs.  Whew, back together and time for the valves.  

First, the automatic decompression arm had about 1 cm play that seemed excessive.  Clymer says 3 to 5mm so I set that.  Thank goodness I had special tappet feeler gages with offset stubby ends that could get in that tight space.  Intakes were fine at 0.004” but the exhausts were tight so I fiddled about to get them at 0.004” also (middle of spec range).  Finally everything could go back together.  Not the easiest first service I’ve done but having this forum has been a real help - much appreciated so thought I'd share, and wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/01/06 at 09:24:21

Sounds like a good job, well done.  I'd never thought of a fishing scale for a torque wrench.  Very Savage.

Happy New Year!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 01/01/06 at 10:06:02

Rok,

Good write-up and I wish you no oil leaks!

Can you provide more info on the feeler gauges you used to measure the valve clearances?

BTW, you can properly torque all of the nuts and bolts you encounter on this job by creative use of "torque wrench adapters."  Using things like Gearwrenches, crow-foot wrenches, regular combination wrenches and small ratchet wrenches, you can make any torque wrench adapter you need.  You will need to measure the new moment arm that you will have and then calculate the proper torque reading.

Just remember that torque equals force times distance!

I hope this helps!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #8 - 01/01/06 at 13:54:27

Sure Digger, here's the link:
http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools_3.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the tappet feeler gauges I used from Motion Pro.  They come with one blade either end, and I got the 0.002-0.003 and 0.004-0.005 (inch) pair.  Note the nice slim design with stubby blades that fit really well in cramped spaces.  Thoroughly recommended.  

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/01/06 at 17:10:45

Or you could take apart the $4 feeler gauges from any auto parts store and bend them.  I find it much easier to use them one blade at a time.  And put them back together for storage.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/01/06 at 19:37:06

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the tappet feeler gauges I used from Motion Pro.  They come with one blade either end, and I got the 0.002-0.003 and 0.004-0.005 (inch) pair.  Note the nice slim design with stubby blades that fit really well in cramped spaces.  Thoroughly recommended.  

I got those at BikeBandit.com.  They do come in useful.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/02/06 at 07:36:48

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Or you could take apart the $4 feeler gauges from any auto parts store and bend them.  I find it much easier to use them one blade at a time.  And put them back together for storage.

Good point, and I admit that I've done that.  On the other hand, the last time I tried, I broke it  Tongue

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 01/02/06 at 08:34:23

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Rok,

Just remember that torque equals force times distance!

Just a word of caution to anyone not experienced with torque:

The above is only true if the force being applied (e.g. your hand or spring scale) to the lever arm (e.g. wrench) is being applied at a right angle!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 01/02/06 at 09:14:21

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Just a word of caution to anyone not experienced with torque:

The above is only true if the force being applied (e.g. your hand or spring scale) to the lever arm (e.g. wrench) is being applied at a right angle!

Nope.  The above rule is still true, regardless of the angle.  

If you add extensions or use an offset or crowsfoot, only the applied force changes.  Changing the angle requires that you recalulate the torque needed....i.e. longer distance equals lower force for the same torque.

Just remember that A2 + B2 = C2

Tongue

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 01/02/06 at 09:34:15

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

Rok,

Motion Pro just made some more money.  I'm to a stage in my life where I don't feel I need to screw around with inferior tools anymore.  BTDT!

I just wish I'd known about these things when I was at the International Motorcycle Show in Denver a while ago.  Motion Pro had a big exhibit there with a lot of their tools for sale.

I appreciate the gouge!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/15/24 at 12:13:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.