Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: top speed
Reply #15 - 12/15/05 at 05:41:01

the '95 did - the superbrace fixed up the frontend on rain groves and at speed - the progressive shocks fixed up the back of the bike - smooth as it can be now at any speed

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 12/15/05 at 05:48:57

I'm 5' 9" 195#'s. I'm not a big one for modifying the fundementals of a motorcycle. May be lack of experience, but I think a motorcycle should do what you want it to do "off the shelf." Top speed on my savage is about 90 mph. However that top speed comes down fast with any headwind or pulling along side a semi. I"ve tuned the Savage (without changing parts) to run and start fine without backfires - ok afterfires (I have a hard time even coaxing one out when I want too), but I draw the line at putting on a new tank or changing the frame dimensions to make it a touring MC.

With that said, I think the Savage is a great MC for running around town or on secondary roads. I think it's too small, underpowered, gas tank too small etc. for me to run on the interstates for any distance (over an hour). It makes a great beginners MC, and a it's pretty easy to do your own wrenching on.  

If you have enough previous riding experience and plan on doing a lot of interstate riding, either plan on modifying the Savage a lot to match your needs, or you may want to look at a MC that matches your needs. Personally, I kept my Savage when I got a ST for longer trips. Triple digits (HP or MPH) is nice to have available, but not necessary all the time. Smiley

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 12/15/05 at 09:03:51

The mods I've done to KLX take the trail from 112mm down to 69mm, that's the cause of the instability but man is it flickable.Acceleration is in a different league too.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 12/15/05 at 11:38:36

jimbrough wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I've heard others talk about a high speed wobble, not with the savage, however.  Is this a wive's tale, biker ineptitude, or a real physical fact about some bikes' geometry?

See this simulation from SuperBrace.com
I noticed mine quite a bit on certain (usually uneven) surfaces - especially rain grooves.  The SuperBrace fixed it right up.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 12/15/05 at 14:42:41

jimbrough wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I've heard others talk about a high speed wobble, not with the savage, however.  Is this a wive's tale, biker ineptitude, or a real physical fact about some bikes' geometry?

a combination of all three i believe.  i've never used a brace, never felt like i needed one.  i would like to see an outside evaluation of the superbrace, not something they have put together for marketing. i know members here feel a difference, that be kewl.

imho. if a brace was a neccesary piece of equipment it would be standard on all bikes. like i said just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 12/16/05 at 05:43:11

That was just because it's a decent simple illustration.  The SuperBrace is just one brand... the only one I could find made to fit the Savage "right out of the box".  There are other fork brace makers out there.  Kuryalyn even makes one for the HD Wide Glide.  Here's one article/posting about fork braces written with the Magna in mind, I believe.  Below are a few other references I came across when looking for information on them.  Sadly, none are for the Savage/S40 though.

Custom Parts for Some Suzukis (including fork braces)

Custom Fork Braces for Yamaha XS Series

Fork Brace Measurement Worksheet

Spec II -- Fork Braces & Clip-Ons

I agree FULLY with skepticism.  I got them after hearing about them here first and then talking to a few friends who recommended them.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/19/05 at 12:16:26

You know I was thinking that here in Wisconsin, the top legal allowable speed is 55 MPH, and that's on the Interstate. It's usually 45-50 on county roads. Cops have told me they'll probably let you drive 62-63, but after that you're likely to get pulled over. So since I won't be driving much beyond the limit anyway, is the top speed really an issue? Doesn't seem like it to me....

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #22 - 12/19/05 at 13:20:53

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
You know I was thinking that here in Wisconsin, the top legal allowable speed is 55 MPH, and that's on the Interstate. It's usually 45-50 on county roads. Cops have told me they'll probably let you drive 62-63, but after that you're likely to get pulled over. So since I won't be driving much beyond the limit anyway, is the top speed really an issue? Doesn't seem like it to me....

Top speed is an issue only if you reach it  Wink If 55 or even low sixties is going to be your top speed, the Savage at least in my experience doesn't have any issues "off the shelf."

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 12/19/05 at 13:23:10

just need a skate board

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/19/05 at 13:33:57

Mine is bone-stock and feels plenty fast - I just can't imagine 30 more lbs. and 65 more horses as in a triumph speed four!  Must give you heart attacks everytime you hit the throttle! Grin

IP Logged
WavJamR
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/19/05 at 19:06:50

On my daily commute I try to stick within 10mph of the speed limit. No need to attract attention to myself  Tongue  The Savage is very response in those ranges, quick enough to leave plenty of room between you and the cages on take-offs.

The main thing I noticed on larger hp engines, is the 'hold-on for dear life factor' when you twist the throttle. Brings a smile to your face.

It's the age old advice: 'Older whiskey, fast motorcycles, and faster women'  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 19:57:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › top speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.