Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who's had a Savage continuous the longest? (Read 122 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Who's had a Savage continuous the longest?
12/13/05 at 08:06:20

I know I'm not in contention here, but this thread came up on another MC's forum and I was curious. Who has owned a Savage/S40 continuously for the longest. Yes, trading one Savage for another counts as continuous. No having two doesn't double the clock speed. However having one, getting another and getting rid of the first later counts as continuous.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Who's had a Savage continuous the longest?
Reply #1 - 12/13/05 at 08:40:41

IIRC, Woodworker has owned the first year Savage (1986) since new.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 12/13/05 at 08:53:45

you know i haven't seen anything from him lately - wonder how that head porting worked out for him

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 12/13/05 at 10:03:24

I've had one continuously for four years and two months.

That puts me in first place, for now, among those who have actually answered this post personally.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 12/13/05 at 12:39:24

I've had my Yellow 96 7 years and 3 months. WD has owned his for a long time.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/13/05 at 14:31:15

Purchased mine in July of 1986, put 148,000 K on it since and then did a major engine rebuild last winter, have approximately 6000 K to date since the rebuild.
I have it stripped down for the winter now and intend to repaint the fenders, tank, and side covers in early spring. I'm in the process of  reshaping, installing 1/2" thick gel, and reupholstering the driver and passenger seats, and backrest (pillow style).
Since the engine was punched out to 695 cc's and allowed to breath properly, I have yet to come across any cruisers of any size i.e. harleys, hondas,victorys, yamahas, and of course suzukis, etc. that can touch it from 0 to 160 km/hr - the crotch rockets are another story !

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/13/05 at 15:07:38

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Purchased mine in July of 1986, put 148,000 K on it since and then did a major engine rebuild last winter, have approximately 6000 K to date since the rebuild.
I have it stripped down for the winter now and intend to repaint the fenders, tank, and side covers in early spring. I'm in the process of  reshaping, installing 1/2" thick gel, and reupholstering the driver and passenger seats, and backrest (pillow style).
Since the engine was punched out to 695 cc's and allowed to breath properly, I have yet to come across any cruisers of any size i.e. harleys, hondas,victorys, yamahas, and of course suzukis, etc. that can touch it from 0 to 160 km/hr - the crotch rockets are another story !

Dang! That's a lot of miles! And it completely changes how I see the Savage. In addition to being fun to ride, maybe it's also a viable long term replacement for a car. I've got over 100K miles on both cages, so they will  probably have to be replaced within a few years. If I can get 140K miles or so out of my Savage @50 mpg & peanuts for insurance, that beats the dog poop out of a $20K car @ 25mpg & $400/year for insurance. And staves off having to make car payments for a few more years. This bike's a keeper! Smiley

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 12/13/05 at 15:48:59

it wasn't the savage, but it' older brother the gn 400,(their original big single)that i recieved as a wedding present in 82, i put 98,000 miles on it through april of 04, it would have ran longer if i wouldn't have screwed it up.  

all those years and miles with only oil changes. delco 400 10-40.   that should answere the oil question.

it was the realibality of that machine that led me to the savage.  while the savage is good for begginers, it certainly not a  begginers bike.  i'll be riding this one for another 20 years.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/13/05 at 16:07:24

I didn't have one for the longest time (quite impossible, as I was born in 1985), but I had 7 in only 8 months, would that be the record for the shortest time?  Grin

IP Logged
JBALLSATX
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/13/05 at 16:35:04

Nope, I bought my 2001 just a month ago.

Some days are suitabe for riding in San Antonio still. Gloves are on my Christmas list. I've been "roughing" it but  Man am I having a blast,. At 6'1" perhaps I'm a little to big for this bike but I'm having a great time with it ! I hope to keep it for a long time.  ;

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/13/05 at 17:20:22

Just celebrated my first anniversary with her?  Isn't that one chrome? Grin

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 12/13/05 at 18:55:41

Congrats woodworker, suzuki ought to be in contact with you - it would make a great add.  Please tell me I'll become mater of the high/low beem switch- maybee if I get in some 10K miles Cheesy

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #12 - 12/13/05 at 21:58:37

Awesome.  A Savage 700.  I want one.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 12/13/05 at 22:32:35

I have had my '96 for 6 1/2 years...Fathers Day in '99  is when my son gave it to me.  He's a good boy, yes he is.

I too like the idea of a bigger jug...maybe someday.

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/14/05 at 00:48:07

JBALLSATX wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Nope, I bought my 2001 just a month ago.

Some days are suitabe for riding in San Antonio still. Gloves are on my Christmas list. I've been "roughing" it but  Man am I having a blast,. At 6'1" perhaps I'm a little to big for this bike but I'm having a great time with it ! I hope to keep it for a long time.  ;

oh well, at least I have the record for having the most Savage's in the shortest time?  Tongue (not counting the guy who imports them  Wink)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:06:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's had a Savage continuous the longest?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.