Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black smoke (Read 3 times)
joe_isaac
Ex Member

Black smoke
12/12/05 at 20:58:19

Hi guys,
Remember that I have a difficult time to start the bike?
Well, I managed to start it after the plug changed, but after a while, black smoke (a bit, not much) came out from the exhaust especially when I revs up the engine. Managed to get a few rounds around my house but soon after that loud bangs.. engine died. I've reckon the plug must have failed again. Can't get her start again. Try to check the air filter, found that there was no air filter at all.. now where the fish is the filter gone??

Black smoke? Is it got to do with the carb's mixture? Called the mechanic, he says he'd changed the main jet with the same size. What could have damaged the plug?
Puzzled...

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Black smoke
Reply #1 - 12/12/05 at 21:54:18

Joe, black smoke and a sooted plug are the sign of too much fuel for the amount of air getting through the carburetor. As you have no air filter, we can rule that out as a cause, but that needs to be fixed. It could be a high fuel level, leaking needle and seat, a plugged air bleed*, or float hanging up and not shutting off the fuel flow. Why did the mechanic put the same sized jet back in? Why was he into the carb in the first place? Did you have this problem before the carb was worked on? * a plugged air beed has the same effect as putting in a much larger jet, the top of the fuel delivery passage will have some air bled into it to help start the atomization process. If it is plugged it will act more like a syphon and really overfuel the engine. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 12/12/05 at 22:04:33

Definitely rich running. You or the mechanic have to do the carb. job again.  There might be rust in the gas tank and it might keep the float valve open, You might have a problem with the float itself, but the most probable reason is the O-ring between the float valve and the carb. body. With the age the O-ring hardens and shrinks and doesn't seal any more.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/05 at 22:38:53

I'd say it's time to learn how to work on your own bike rather than go back to that mechanic.

IP Logged
joe_isaac
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/13/05 at 02:37:12

Yeah.. Mechanic said the main jet clogged with rust. That was why he changed the jet. There was so much rust inside the tank as it was just sitting there for 8 years. I think its about time I jump into this owner cum mechanic stuffs. But I do need input on this matters. Do wish I have the repair manual by myside now.  I guess start by stripping the carb.. Surely gonna depends on you guys..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/13/05 at 05:37:01

Hi dude!

I have to agree with the others.  It is always good to learn how to fix your own stuff.

Take carb apart, clean thoroughly, make sure all tiny  passages are clear, put in new gaskets/seals, check float level adjustment.  And, as long as you have it apart, replace the main jet and pilot jet with one size larger jets.

Take you gas tank and use a rust remover to clean it out, then put in a sealer.  That way you will never have a rust problem again.

Good luck, we are here for you.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 12/13/05 at 15:51:00

Don't forget a in line fuel filter, the couple dollars spent on one is well worth it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 12/14/05 at 05:24:49

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Don't forget a in line fuel filter, the couple dollars spent on one is well worth it.

Amen.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 12/14/05 at 06:23:58

Amen, and amen.

IP Logged
Pages: 1