torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
harley tank?
09/02/05 at 07:19:11

I been trowing this idea around for awhile,putting a sportster tank on the savage its the smaller sportster
tank,not the custom.i love the look of it ,I wanted to see if anyone has ever done this,and how it turned out?

thanks ???

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: harley tank?
Reply #1 - 09/02/05 at 08:24:37

I've read (and I think I saw a pic somewhere??) that the Sportster tank can be modified to fit the Savage (or vice versa?) ... Betcha it'd be cool lookin' too!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #2 - 09/02/05 at 15:16:45

I agree. If you do it, you will have to post a pic.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/03/05 at 03:36:36

I was thinking of doing that too, but the Sportster tank mounts are way different from the Savage tank mounts.  For someone who can weld it would probably be a pretty easy job, but that out of my league.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 09/03/05 at 21:27:30

Hardest part is adapting the round tunneled Sporty tank to the square Savage backbone. Get an Ironhead Sporty tank with side mounts, and it is a moot point. Hacksaw off the stock Savage tank mounts. Drill two thru holes in the Savage backbone. Oversized so you can "sleeve bush" the bolts/holes. See what size gap there is between the frame and the tunnel top, cut a piece of pipe to fit, and weld it on the backbone. Done.

You'll have to run an HD petc0ck, the Savage unit is a completely different animal.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Aktlingit
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Welcome Home

Alaska
Reply #5 - 11/04/05 at 13:32:08

Hello WD,

If I understand it correctly, you work at a bike shop and have a good knowledge of what non LS650 parts might adapt to the Savage.  

In this topic you mention the Sportster tank being made to fit.  My question(s) are have you ever tried to mount the FXWG tank to the LS650 frame?  

I do not have access to the wider HD tanks to measure the width of the tunnel (needed clearance approx. 6") to fit on top of the wider Y section of the frame.

Are you familiar with the Bob McKay flatside tank mount and the universal quickmount brackets.  It seems to me that these might work to install 3.5 to 5 gallon fatbob tanks.  I had thought of trying the Sportster 1200 custom tank 4.5 gal. or Sportster King tank 3.5 but again I do not have access to see if these would fit. I want to use a one piece tank preferrably without the big hole in the middle of the tank.

I have solved one problem that alot of owners seem to be looking for and that is mounting a speedo with tripometer on the handlebars using a cable extension on the speedo cable.  

I had thought of using an early XL speedo/tach combo and having a cable made up but found that the portion that goes into the engine has a special notch or key shape to it making if difficult to use a universal end.  

Do you know of any sources to get a one piece cable made up, this way allowing us to use an HD speedo or a universal speedo?

Appreciate the feedback.  One other thing, I am looking for a source to get parts chromed.  Who are some good sources in the Seattle Area?

Regards from Alaska

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/04/05 at 13:48:48

Has anybody thought of just going to a blacksmith and getting him to make a tank fitting the size and description you need?  I think that's what I might do in the winter--it might not be perfectly round but it'll be unique!!  And way cheaper - my blacksmith here does incredibly cheap work! Smiley

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 11/04/05 at 13:50:14

Well,  I know an old style mustang tank will not fit a savage, without serious modification to one or both...  Engine mount points are int he way on the savage backboen and, where the frame splits... no.  A frined gave me his old tank... gotta give it back to him...

IP Logged
Aktlingit
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Welcome Home

Alaska
Reply #8 - 12/07/05 at 15:17:59

I have been researching to see what other tanks might fit on the LS650/S40 frame other than a set of Harely fatbob tanks and it looks like some of the early 70s Honda CB 450-550-550-750 might.  However I do not have access to these tanks to see if they might bolt on.

I believe that the dimension of the Honda CB500-550 4.5 gallon overall length is 21" tunnel length 19 3/8" middle width 2.5" rear width 3.25" and over all width is 15"  It looks to me that these tanks might be a better fit than the Kawasaki VN500-700 that was used by Peter the Blacksmith who posted on the other site.

If some one works at a salvage yard can try out the various Honda tanks and post their results would be great.

Has any one used the Bob MacKay flatside tank mount or the Universal Quick mount for fatbob tanks on the LS650 frame?

Happy Holidays

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 13:39:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › harley tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.