Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the Famous Plug Reusable? (Read 7 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Is the Famous Plug Reusable?
12/01/05 at 18:01:45

I just tightened the head bolts on my '01 as per the mx schedule.  The engine was not leaking any oil when I started the job.

I pulled the plug out to access one of the head bolts, cleaned it up, cleaned the hole up, and popped it back into place.  I used ThreeBond Liquid Gasket 1104 to seal the plug.  I bought some from the Suzuki dealer, on his recommendation, when I last removed said plug for the bike's 600 mile mx.

I slapped 'er back together and took 'er for a spin.  It didn't take long for the tell-tale oil gusher to start up.  "DRAT" said I!  I said it loud and lustily.

I'm going to pick up a new plug from the dealer tomorrow.

QUESTION:  How many removal/replacement cycles can these plugs usually take before they are toast?

BTW, I'm going to use Permatex Ultra Copper to seal the new plug.  The ThreeBond stuff is just too hard to clean off.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Clark

Re: Is the Famous Plug Reusable?
Reply #1 - 12/01/05 at 18:18:30

My sealer indicated a 24 hour cure time.  I waited for 18 hours and had no issue.  Did you take it out to soon?

The plug is reusable, but I would get the later better made one.  It is thicker walled and has more hold to it.

Clark

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 12/01/05 at 18:30:06

With 600 miles Your plug should be like new. I use either the recomended Suzuki stuff /pretty expensive/ or Permatex ultra gray. No problems so far. The trick is to degrease everything meticulosly. Let the sealant stay overnight and You will be happy.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 12/02/05 at 01:25:51

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
BTW, I'm going to use Permatex Ultra Copper to seal the new plug.  The ThreeBond stuff is just too hard to clean off.

That's the purpose of the stuff, to stick .

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 12/04/05 at 18:24:20

I pulled out the offending plug today.  It was in there really snug, even though it had been in there for less than two weeks.  I had to tug pretty hard on it.

I'm guessing (from inspection of the plug's condition) that I was remiss in not removing all of the old sealer (ThreeBond Liquid Gasket 1104) that was on the plug from the last time I did this job.  In my defense, however, I will say that it is near impossible to get all of this stuff off of the rubber.

I'll slap her back together tomorrow (using a new plug [unfortunately, it is the old design]) using Permatex Ultra-Copper.  If you don't hear back from me on this thread, it means there are no leaks (i.e., no news is good news).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:03:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is the Famous Plug Reusable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.