mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
New rider, new here...
11/29/05 at 14:48:41

Hi all, name is Marc, and I just got my first real motorcycle, an S40! I've ridden some bikes in college and some scooters/modeds back in highschool, but I've never owned my own bike until now (my dad wouldn't let me when I was younger). I'm so stoked! Anyway, I've been poking around here for a week or so, and I just wanted to introduce myself. This place seems really cool, and there seems to be some real pros in here. If it's ok with you all, I might chime in with a question from time to time as I get to know my new bike - both on and off the road. Thanks.

-Marc
Northern California

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: New rider, new here...
Reply #1 - 11/29/05 at 15:38:40

Hi Marc - WELCOME!  As a relatively newbie, I'm growing to enjoy my thumper as I start adding on miles.  Hope you have  as much fun with your new bike, ride safe.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 11/29/05 at 15:48:42

mmosel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
If it's ok with you all, I might chime in with a question from time to time as I get to know my new bike - both on and off the road. Thanks.

-Marc
Northern California

its ok by me...Q&A is what makes this site go around Cheesy

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/29/05 at 18:42:36

Thanks for the welcome. It's much appreciated. Smiley
Now I'm off to post my first ? (after searching, of course)

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #4 - 11/30/05 at 02:19:33

Welcome Marc  Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/30/05 at 02:33:25

Welcome to a great site - I went through the parent thingie also and couldn't get my first bike (officially) till I was almost over the hill. Wink

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 11/30/05 at 03:26:00

Welcome aboard Marc! This is a great Site and lotsa fun!
Enjoy your new Bike and Ride Safe!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/30/05 at 06:16:52

Welcome to the best motorcycle forum on the net.  You won't find a friendlier bunch anywhere.  As a new rider you will also find this site, and the people here, to be a wonderful resource for all things Savage and motorcycles in general.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 11/30/05 at 07:48:10

Welcome to the site!  The parent stuff, huh?  Well, I can't say I've had that problem, though the wife is not fond of motorcycles at all.  Extra life insurance helped a bit, but not much.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/30/05 at 11:54:39

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Welcome to the site!  The parent stuff, huh?  Well, I can't say I've had that problem, though the wife is not fond of motorcycles at all.  Extra life insurance helped a bit, but not much.

I guess my parent was a bad influence! But I agree with the extra life insurance helping the spouse accept the new motorcycle. As soon as I bought the new one,  he upped my life insurance so he & his "new wife" could enjoy life after I kill my fool self on that @$#% bike.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/30/05 at 12:51:26

Wow, you guys are great.  8) Thanks for the nice welcome. I hadn't a clue that the motorcycle community was so, well, friendly. Wink It's nice to find such a community centered around such a cool bike. I look forward to hangin' around and gettin' in the mix when I can.

I already have plans to raise the seat (I'm 6ft), maybe raise up the front of the tank an inch, fix the Idle Mixture screw, perhaps tackle the mysterious white spacer at some point, add a fly screen in the spring, and when I can afford it, add the fork stabilizer. (if I can find one for an '05). I've never 'worked' on a motorcycle before, but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Keep on rockin'

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/30/05 at 16:39:30

I have had some fun fooling around with the seat as i am 6'4".  Love the bike but i am just too big... the seat is up and back four or five inches right now and it doesn't feel bad...just trying to decide what to do and how permanent to make it...thought of lifting the back of the tank but not the front so it would match the seat...then putting some sort of metal cover in to hide the space...good winter project, methinks!

Good luck!

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #12 - 11/30/05 at 17:42:58

I guess I meant the back of the tank, not the front. I would raise it to meet the seat height as well. Definitely a good winter project! I can see how being 6'4" would be a bit of a tight fit on this bike. I think being 6' is a bit tight myself, but I'm hoping the seat adjustment will do the trick. I haven't logged many miles yet, so I'll have to see how comfortable I feel on her.

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/30/05 at 18:58:24

Welcome to our little corner of the motorcycle world! They've really got a cool Savage/S40 world going here. And welcome to the two-wheeled Savage life. I'm sure you're quite excited and have to keep checking on your bike. Being a new rider/owner, too, of an '04 Savage, I still check on it all the time, even though it's awfully cold where I am, so I just go out into the garage and admire it and hope for a warm up and no ice on the weekend. I've heard a lot about the size of this bike, but I sat on a lot of bigger bikes before going with the Savage and it always felt right to me in the store. I'm 6'0, too, but I think it's very comfortable and have no complaints. To me, it feels very manageable and controllable, which I think makes it safer and more enjoyable. My main beef is the way the seat slides you forward and this, I think, leads to the angle I sit on the bike with and my back stiffening up. So I'm going to be raising the front of the seat, too, to change the seating angle.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #14 - 12/01/05 at 18:16:15

Welcome Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:27:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New rider, new here...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.