Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rusty gas tank interior (Read 2 times)
kangaroo
Ex Member

Rusty gas tank interior
11/29/05 at 14:31:53

Im trying to bring back a 1986 savage on a tight budget.  I just removed the tank and realized the interior of the tank is extremely rusty(metal particulates and all). Does anyone know an inexpensive way to clean the interior of the tank.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Rusty gas tank interior
Reply #1 - 11/29/05 at 18:58:29

I've used a multi-step product to sort of epoxy coat the inside before the world wised up and put plastic tanks on dirt bikes - can't remember it's name - I'll look around

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #2 - 11/29/05 at 21:30:19

Kreem

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 11/30/05 at 07:42:21

In the old days we'd slosh around a bunch of ball bearings inside with lots of soapy water till no more loose stuff could be flushed out.  Then dry (rinsing with alcohol or acetone helps).  You will never remove all the rust and the coatings just seal over it where it may continue to spread.  However, you will remove all the loose debric that will eventually clog up the fuel strainer or filter.  Can't remember what size bearings - obviously not critical but heavy enough to do the job.  Bearings don't add extra grit like sand blasting would.  Good luck!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 11/30/05 at 08:25:26

If you do a ghetto type job and there is still some rust in there, get an inline fuel filter.  They are cheap.  Will keep the rust out of the carb...

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #5 - 11/30/05 at 08:30:43

My experience w/ a 2-part marine coating an old boat fuel tank was it eventually flaked off and clogged up the line. Now,
agitating small ball bearings (or bird shot) in solvent sounds good. Consider the paint if you invert it, but scrub as much of the entire inner surface as possible.
What ever you do buy a couple transparent fuel filters and keep one in the fuel line.
The fuel sock needs to be good to keep junk out of the petc0ck too.

Good luck.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/30/05 at 12:16:56

I have used small ball bearings or bird shot also in small gas engine tanks.... Dry No soapy water tho... I have wraped the tank in bath towls and put them in the dryer for awile..I havent tried it yet with a motorcycle tank  but would hope to use alot of towels !!! The ones that I have done have come out pretty clean...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #7 - 11/30/05 at 13:07:37

Sorry, should have clarified a bit...... the purpose of the detergent-water is to suspend the flakes for easy flushing out with a garden hose.  Also it's a safety factor in case there are gas fumes lingering inside.  If you want a more radical clean you can first use a naval jelly solution in there; see:
http://www.shorechemical.com/Section%207%20Tech%20Sheets/naval_jelly.htm
but this stuff is corrosive so wear gloves (phosphoric acid I think).  Then the water is for flushing and neautralizing this.  Finally, an acetone or alcohol rinse blends with the residual water with a better evaporation rate for easier air drying.  Not essential tho.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:50:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rusty gas tank interior

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.