Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sidestand (Read 7 times)
bikerndiver
Ex Member

sidestand
11/27/05 at 08:22:10

I just bought an 86 LS650 Savage and the sidestand was not attached.  I bought three different springs because I was told to, and I can't figure out how they attach the sidestand with use of the switch.  I bolted the sidestand on, I just need help with where the springs go and help with attaching them to the switch.  HELP!
thank you!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: sidestand
Reply #1 - 11/27/05 at 09:23:58

I think u only need 2 springs.  check this pic out at the bottom

PROP STAND - REAR BRAKE

two bolts for the switch.  notch in kickstand meets with it when it is closed.. pretty easy.

Modified the link to allow the page to size properly.

Rob

IP Logged
bikerndiver
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/28/05 at 07:40:04

Thanks so much for the information and you're so kind to reply and so quickly!   Yes, I'm thinking only two springs but which of the three offered in the online diagram?  (I have all three).   You mention a picture below but I don't see it (unless you're talking about the picture of the online diagram which I see but isn't an illustration of it all essembled).  If it was a picture you posted, you can try it again?  However, I still don't understand which of the springs attaches to the sidestand and which of the springs goes from the sidestand to the switch, and how?  The switch is intact so I'm not sure what bolts you mean.  I've played around with different scenarios of setups.   Each way, the sidestand kicks right back up when the weight of the bike is lifted off it so I'm sure I haven't got that right.  I don't have the service manual, do you know if that explains/illustrates the setup?  Any pictures would help!
Thanks again

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 11/28/05 at 10:45:50

the sidestand return has 2 springs , one goes inside the other.  Will have to check mine later but it seems like the safety switch is a plunger that the sidestand comes up against and pushes in. Can't think where the 3rd spring goes but will check mine. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/28/05 at 15:09:37

Uh i dont have my bike currently.  Its being painted!

YAY

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 11/29/05 at 03:16:13

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
the sidestand return has 2 springs , one goes inside the other.  Will have to check mine later but it seems like the safety switch is a plunger that the sidestand comes up against and pushes in. Can't think where the 3rd spring goes but will check mine. Max

That's correct: the 2 springs,7 and 8, go inside each other.
The 3rd (6)spring is for the single spring configuration.
There's no spring attached to the switch. The stand pushes the plunger of the switch.
Maybe this picture gives you a better view of the installation:http://members.aol.com/ingbilly/ls650p04.html

( try some other figures in /ls650p04 then you see this bike from other angles)

Greetz
Kropatchek
(with a partly dismantled Savage.)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
bikerndiver
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/29/05 at 09:17:53

This is extremely helpful, Kropatchek, thanks so much and for the picture.  Good luck putting your bike together!  Max, thanks for the start! Jim_R, hope your bike comes out great!  
I'll give the essembly another try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sidestand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.