Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The 'Best' Muffler? (Read 12 times)
cigaro
Ex Member

The 'Best' Muffler?
11/28/05 at 10:52:51

There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion regarding mufflers.  Paladin has posted some muffler sounds in the Technical category.  I wondered which type of muffler sounds people prefer. Some want quieter sounds, others some want louder. I have a stock muffler and would like a deeper growl, if possible. What exhaust would be best for that?  Also, how much does muffler add to performance, if at all? There's one guy who's posted a long note on the web saying that the Supertrapp he put on added HP and boosted performance.  Is this credible?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: The 'Best' Muffler?
Reply #1 - 11/28/05 at 15:12:50

yeah but the supertrapp has removable discs and ect, letting u tune it.  Some people like the hd sportster mufflers.  I like my Mac muffler and took out the baffle.  It made a big difference after I rejetted and changed the air filter setup for a air sock directly on the carb.

but whats kewl is with baffleless mufflers u can feel the air like 15 ft behind u, but they are loud.  I dont care how loud it is honestly.  Motorcycles arent supposed to sound like sewing machines, in my opinion.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 11/28/05 at 20:42:12

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
There's one guy who's posted a long note on the web saying that the Supertrapp he put on added HP and boosted performance.  Is this credible?

Oh yeah. I have a Supertrapp and rejetted carb and the bike has significantly more acceleration Grin It's less cold blooded and is smoother all around. I highly recommend it. I did have to cut off some of the header pipe on mine to achieve a good fit. For this reason the Raask would probably be easiest to install.

I think the two best exhausts are the Supertrapp and the Raask. Both are on the loud side (the Raask is the louder of the two ? - ask Greg, he has both). If you want a mellower sound go with a Harley muffler.

The original muffler is very restrictive. Any aftermarket exhaust will add performance (with a proper rejet).

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/28/05 at 21:20:26

I'd hardly call the sound of my Harley SEII "mellow."  I don't know what a normal sportster muffler sounds like.  A lot of people like the Harley mufflers because you can pick them up for so cheap($20-$60), and they are practically bolt on.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/28/05 at 21:31:42

I like the sound of the high mileage jardine on the older bike  - it's actually quiter and a nit more mellow than the new one on the '02 - it cracks pretty loud - may be the carb tune difference as well.  

That SEII doesn't have a real baffle right? and it is my understanding they are the loudest of the bunch.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/29/05 at 03:37:11

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I like the sound of the high mileage jardine on the older bike  - it's actually quiter and a nit more mellow than the new one on the '02 - it cracks pretty loud - may be the carb tune difference as well.  

That SEII doesn't have a real baffle right? and it is my understanding they are the loudest of the bunch.

There is a circular disc at an angle midway through the muffler that takes up probably 70% of the space from what I remember.  I think it is probably just enough to provide some backpressure.  

I was under the impression if you wanted the loudest you could get to go for a header straight pipe setup.  Is this was the Raask is?  Or is it a straight pipe bolt on?

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #6 - 11/29/05 at 04:08:44

I switched from the stock to the Harley muffler and love it. It is not to loud but there is a significant differance. It does have a more throaty sound to it and it made a remarkable change  in the response of the bike.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 11/29/05 at 06:26:18

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I like my Mac muffler and took out the baffle.

I can't imagine how loud that must be.  My MAC is unmodified (except for being painted black) and it's pretty loud to me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #8 - 11/29/05 at 06:43:52

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I can't imagine how loud that must be.  My MAC is unmodified (except for being painted black) and it's pretty loud to me.

i,ve got the stock muffler with all the baffles out(its really just a 4 inch straight pipe. Grin ) but when me and jim are  riding in the stagered postion(me behind him) i can,t hear myself think Roll Eyes i,m thinking about making my own slip on pipe ,all i need is a slip in baffle and the right size chrome pipe with a turn down tip Wink it should look pretty good.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 11/29/05 at 09:24:30

Is there a quiet pipe that performs well?

Since my bike is soooo black (the only way to find it at night is to look for a black hole, and that's usually where it is), I think I want it to be quiet so I can "go stealth" by killing the lights and having a quiet exhaust insttead of the darn loud cherry bomb.  I may go to a sport bike muffler if I have to.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 11/29/05 at 09:34:37

I think the stock/normal HD muffler flows better and is fairly quit - of course not many HD riders leave them on or even drive them away from the store and this is why you can get them for next nothing if you hunt around a little.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #11 - 11/29/05 at 10:07:16

I put an HD pipe on mine. It sounded better, but I wasn't happy until I punched a hole in the baffle.  The only Savages I see around here are stock. Sure would love to see/hear some of these other pipes. The sound clips can't do them justice.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #12 - 11/29/05 at 10:14:41

got the jardine on mine and love it. it was alittle pricy I think new around two hundred. I got the lancer carb to put on this winter and hope it will sound even better.

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The 'Best' Muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.