Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Painted Header? (Read 18 times)
dangerdave
Ex Member

Painted Header?
11/26/05 at 20:07:20

In reviewing posted pics on the forum, I've noticed that several of you have "de-chromed" your header in favor of (usually black) paint or powder coating.  Considering the sorry cosmetic shape that my header is in at present, I've been thinking of stripping what's left of the chrome on the pipe and doing something similar the next time I have an excuse to remove the exhaust.

Hence I pose the questions to the group:  what have you all used in the way of paint or coating for your header?  Has anyone done the job themselves (say, with some hi-temp primer and rattlecan engine block paint), or is this work better left to a professional if I want decent results?  Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Painted Header?
Reply #1 - 11/26/05 at 20:40:20

I painted mine with black hi-temp exhaust paint from Autozone.  The label said it contained ceramic.  I heated the pipe a bit with a butane torch before I started spraying.  That way it dries upon contact...no "runs" this way.  It also seems to adhere extremely well...assuming that the pipe is prepared and cleaned properly before spraying.  Then I wrapped the pipe with exhaust wrap.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/27/05 at 01:03:40

When I bought my Savage the previous owner did the black exhaust thing.  I hated it hehe.  I took an orbital sander and sanded it off.  It might not be chrome but it doesnt have a scratched pattern either.  I think it looks better.  When my pipe blues ot turns gold which I like.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 11/28/05 at 10:19:20

Yeah, jsut high temp paint from auto zone, or BBQ paint from Ace hardware.  May want to scratch & scuff the chrome first...

IP Logged
patryuji

Reply #4 - 11/28/05 at 21:01:25

I use DEI high temperature silicone paint on headers.  Have it on my car headers and my motorcycle pipe (I'm using a dull aluminum but they also have a black paint).  It is supposed to be good to 1500degrees Fahrenheit and you need to heat it to 400 degrees for it to cure.

IP Logged
squawman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/25/05 at 12:40:02

I thought about the cheap route , but have a good freind who does powder coating . I asked him how much , and he told me $75.00 . W hen I finally got the pipe off and took  it over to him , he was in the process of doing a chevy exhaust manifold , so he had the heat treat powder allready in the gun and the oven fired up . he did my head pipe at the same time and told me NO CHARGE . You cant beat a deal like that . I chose powder coat because of the exposed position of the head pipe , and the knowledge that powder coating resists stone chipping .

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/25/05 at 13:07:26

You can't beat a deal like that.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #7 - 12/25/05 at 14:30:59

Mine had some beach rust on the header pipe..I removed the compleat exaust system and taped off the muff. end and just painted the header then reinstalled the original crome heat shields.. I like the look .. I also used Autozone High Heat black..do not use engine paint the header gets hotter than an engine block..You dont have to remove the crome just clean the blistering crome off and rough up the remaining crome so the paint will stick.......... It turns out pretty good...spray the paint on with thin coats letting it dry a fiew min. between each....Have fun with it...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #8 - 12/25/05 at 22:33:42

Well I guess I have to put a few words in here as well since I just got done doing this to the header pipe on my fathers savage.

I went down to Autozone and picked up a can of VHT (a PJI product) very high temprature - flameproof - 1300° to 2000° (704° - 1093°C) Header Paint. It also says Silica - Ceramic coating.

His header was rusty and had turned many different colors besides the normal purple or gold. We wire brushed the header pipe down and then lightly sanded it with (I believe) 220 grit sand paper to just clean the surface. It painted really easy and I had no runs with it.

They give two curing methods - the first is to bake it in an oven, so we didn't go with that one.

The second method is with the pipe back on the bike. Run at idle for 10 minutes and then let cool for 20 minutes. Run at idle for 20 minutes and then let cool for another 20 minutes. Then take it out for a 30 minute ride and it is done. (they say the finish is not chemical resistant until cured, so this is important).

So far I am very satisfied with it and from reading online about this paint it was originally made for NASA for use on the space shuttles. If that's the case I would think my header pipe is bit cooler then the space shuttle Wink

Of course your mileage might vary 8)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 12/26/05 at 03:51:11

{Of course your mileage might vary} 8)

Of course. 8)

IP Logged
dubb-1b
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/29/05 at 11:01:13

so does painting the header and muffler stop the bluing from showing up? on my truck i have a ceramic coated header and it greyed a little; is this the same as the painted method for the cycle header?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 12/29/05 at 17:02:26

I used a ceramic paint that came from Autozone and it has worked well so far.  I prepared the pipe as good as I could by  grinding, then wire wheel, then an alcohol cleaner.  After that I hung the pipe by a wire and preheated it with a butane torch before spraying.  That way the paint dried instantly when it hit the heated pipe.   I think it turned out really good and is holding up well too, especially for a "do-it-yourself" project for about $10..  The next best thing would be a Powder-coat.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 12/30/05 at 11:32:19

I did the same thing though not as well.  I just wire-wheeled it and wiped it down, then I sprayed it.  I waited 24 hours, then mounted it and ran it a while to heat it up per the directions.  For the most part, it's holding up well.  In a couple of small spots it has chipped off.  I am considering having it ceramic coated.  I'm not sure conventional powder-coating is up to the heat requirements.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #13 - 02/01/06 at 11:07:21

I have been giving this some thought and started looking for paint to use. A work buddy told me that he used bar-b-q paint it is good up to 1200 degrees and says nothing of having to heat it up after appling. so as soon as it warms up I will try this. 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 02/01/06 at 14:58:14

The BBQ paint works fine, just rough up the header first with some fine sand paper. The first time you fire up the bike do it outdoors, the paint will let off some nasty fumes till it gets hot. Painted a wood burning stove once with BBQ paint and almost gassed myself.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 02:29:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painted Header?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.