Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
cold weather riding...keeping warm (Read 12 times)
ethan

cold weather riding...keeping warm
10/24/05 at 07:45:03

Its that time of year again.
I need some help in how to stay warm. I ride through out  the winter and at times it gets pretty cold.

First, I need a good windshield. I really want one that also covers my hands. It seems that my hands are the hardest thing to keep warm and the wind makes it really cold. I am having a hard time finding one that fits this description.

second, I need a new helmet. Mine is not the right size anyways. But the wind comes through the visor and makes my eyeballs feel like they are going to freeze.
Are certain helmets better at blocking the wind?

The only other thing would be my toes. I have leather boots and actually wear two pairs of socks with them, but my pigs get cold.

Any suggestions would be helpful. In the winter I ride in 30 and below. Some days I drive the truck if its too cold, but I would like to become invincible against the cold.

thanks.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Re: cold weather riding...keeping warm
Reply #1 - 10/24/05 at 08:01:43

Amen to that -- you news about cold piggies in leather boots is depressing as I am awaiting a pair and thought they would be a big step up over my runners!  My chest and arms and legs aren't bad but you're right - the fingers do get it severely.  I'm looking at maybe snowmobile mitts?  There are a lot of good suggestions under another posting entitled 'Winter Riding Already' or something like that on the front page of rubber side down, if you want to take a look.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 10/24/05 at 08:22:22

helmet:  make sure you get one where there is a little peice of cloth that you can put in the chin... helps a lot...  try riding in your full face and then put your hand under the front of your helmet... you'll see a huge difference.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/24/05 at 08:22:37

Try putting plastic sandwich bags over your socks, we do this for fishing and for hunting. It really works.
I have seen gloves and heated socks in the Sportsman's Guide catalogue. They also have hoods/face shields that fit under helmets for motorcycle or ATV use. They are based in Minnesota so should know about cold weather, they usually have decent prices on stuff. www.sportsmansguide.com

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 10/24/05 at 08:32:59

The big single makes a great hand warmer when you stop at lights, just reach down and rest you glove on it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 10/24/05 at 08:58:36

As far as helmets, I have a Shoei RF1000. When it started getting below 50 deg F, I shut all of the vents and put in the piece below the chin. After my first ride at 40 deg, I decided my head was too warm compared to the rest of me and opened up the chin vent. I may open up some other vents also to get more air flow. This helmet also has a little thingie that allows me to just barely open the visor which really helps prevent fogging at intersections. I have been just leaving the visor cracked open since I shut the forehead and rear vents. I chose this helmet because it fit and some people I knew recommended Shoei.

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/24/05 at 09:04:53

at most Shell gasstations here they have plastic gloves, putting those on will keep your hands nice and warm all winter, as long as you have normal gloves that are big enough (you need wide gloves, because the air between your hand and the surface of the glove is your insulation, but not too wide)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/24/05 at 09:30:22

I really have to recommend the EXO Scorpion helmets.  They are very competetively priced and extremely comfortable to me.  There are two points in particular I like especially for cool-weather riding.  First, their anti-fog face shields actually work.  Second, they have an optional aero skirt insert for the chin area that does a pretty good job of keeping cold air out.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/24/05 at 14:26:03

I bought a baclava last winter that helped keep my neck & chin warm. It's long enough to tuck under my collar, though it does make the helmet a tad snug. I went cheap on the cold weather gear. Got some black Dickie's insulted coveralls for $59 & road comfortably all winter. I'm not sure how warm they'd be up north though. Wool socks helped & Thermolite insulated gloves, though I'm seriously considering snowmobile gloves which I suppose are warmer than my Walmart cheapies.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/24/05 at 14:30:04

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I bought a baclava last winter that helped keep my neck & chin warm. It's long enough to tuck under my collar, though it does make the helmet a tad snug. I went cheap on the cold weather gear. Got some black Dickie's insulted coveralls for $59 & road comfortably all winter. I'm not sure how warm they'd be up north though. Wool socks helped & Thermolite insulated gloves, though I'm seriously considering snowmobile gloves which I suppose are warmer than my Walmart cheapies.

Well, I see that "Thingies" replaced my word. Rymes with "Trickies" & starts with a "D". It's the brand name. I hope that works.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
kikuchiyo
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/24/05 at 16:00:17

Believe it or not but I wear scuba gloves 5mm thickness. with velcro. Gloves are pretty warm and 100% rain/wind proof. Also, they grip handle bar very nicely (due to rubber thickness) and I feel they would protect me in the fall just as good as thick leather would.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 10/24/05 at 16:16:10

ethan- I just put on a slipstreamer fairing this fall, the enterprise model, which is clear lexan (?) and also covers the hands.. it is great.  Did need to also get the 1" kit for the handlebars.  65 mPH no issues, splits the wind just fine.  Slight issue with break resevoir hitting/rubbing on it .  The scuba gloves idea is interesting..although is this rain keeps up, i mght simply switch to a canoe.  Happy riding.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 10/24/05 at 18:01:16

being new to a savage I wonder if hand deflectors might work better on a dragbar style than buckhorn ?

please tell me i'm not lusting and now rationalizing after a set of those.
franch

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/25/05 at 06:38:26

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, I see that "Thingies" replaced my word. Rymes with "Trickies" & starts with a "D". It's the brand name. I hope that works.

Ahhh, D1ckies!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ethan

Reply #14 - 10/25/05 at 07:36:27

I really need to register at some point here...
but anyway

thanks everyone for the info.

Does anyone know anything about the Icon helmet? I have been smitten by the one that is flat black with skulls on it. "looks" like a good helmet, but who knows.

I will check into the slipstreamer fairing. I realized this morning on my ride that I am totally good down to 30F, but below that I start getting cold. I think a good windshield will do the trick.

For anyone wondering how I stay warm in 30F I wear leather boots with two pairs of socks, thick leather pants with a pair of work out pants under, leather jacket with two shirts and a sweatshirt, one of those neck things for skiing from walmart, ski gloves from Target.

My gf bought me some expensive winter riding gloves from Harley last xmas, but I didnt think they worked very well. My $5 target gloves work better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 12:03:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cold weather riding...keeping warm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.