Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any of yous savages know anything about spokes? (Read 4 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

Any of yous savages know anything about spokes?
10/22/05 at 15:45:29

I need a new back tire - that's given.  the old one is original so that makes it 17 years on the bike!! (That's 68 in human years!)  I'm going to go all out and get nothing but the best - a Kenda, for $42 large.

Seriously, though, my problem is the spokes.  The bike was left OUT IN THE CANADIAN WINTER, uncovered, for three years!!  Lots of pitting everywhere and tons of rust but I just about have everything cleaned up - except for the spokes.  Nothing I do seems to work - I even painted them with chrome from a rattle can and that looked good for about 8 hours.  Should I just trash them when I get the tire off and put on new ones?  I hear that's a bugger of a job!  Are new ones expensive??  Thanks, guys and gals...

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Any of yous savages know anything about spokes
Reply #1 - 10/22/05 at 16:13:53

since your spending the big bucks on the tyre, it's hard to speak of options.  all will include big  big big bucks.

a. buy new spokes, have stealer lace.  ouch..

b. buy new spokes, try to lace yourself,  then have stealer lace.   ouch.

c. remove old spokes have them powder coated, maybe then you could relace yourself  maybe.  

d. find new wheel on e-bay.  

e. let it go, make a ratt byke out of it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/22/05 at 16:17:08

thanks for the input!

Powder coating - what is that, exactly?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/22/05 at 16:56:32

Watch ebay - recently watched a rear and front wheel off and '02 sell for not much - under $50 per each - with an ok tire

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 10/22/05 at 16:58:34

jbrough7 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
thanks for the input!

get it real hot and dip it powder coating/paint that melts and sticks to it very well.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/23/05 at 04:46:25

I tried to lace a bicycle wheel once and it  took me forever to figure it out.  I can imagine that a motorcycle wheel would be very similar, but I wouldn't try it unless there is someone who knows what they are doing and can help out.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 10/23/05 at 06:13:14

Lacing spoked wheels is an "art-form" ... not exactly for those lacking in patience and/or experience. sadly, the spokes on the LS650 don't keep up appearances anyway ... my Bike is only a couple of years old, has never been left outside and the spokes are now dull and lifeless looking ... in fact they were that way after the 1st Riding season ... whatever the OEM spokes are coated with, appears to oxidize very quickly ... e-bay LS wheels are unlikely to be much better ...
So, a Savage/S40 owner learns to live with dull spokes, or decides to paint or replace 'em ... both of which are, as have been already pointed out likely to involve a substantial investment of time and/or money.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 10/23/05 at 07:11:20

The spokes on my '02 look dull since I got it used. I've been thinking about paintig them but it seems the only way to do it right is to take them off the wheel. If I'm going through all that I'll go for some stainless spokes.  I think that Bucanan makes stainless steel spoke sets for around 80 dollars per wheel which is more than my budget can swing right now. Relacing a wheel isn't that hard, it just takes a lot of time to do it right. Maybe when it is time for new rubber I'll do something with the spokes, till then it is too much trouble to mess with.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/23/05 at 07:16:45

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Lacing spoked wheels is an "art-form" ... not exactly for those lacking in patience and/or experience. sadly, the spokes on the LS650 don't keep up appearances anyway ... my Bike is only a couple of years old, has never been left outside and the spokes are now dull and lifeless looking ... in fact they were that way after the 1st Riding season ... whatever the OEM spokes are coated with, appears to oxidize very quickly ... e-bay LS wheels are unlikely to be much better ...
So, a Savage/S40 owner learns to live with dull spokes, or decides to paint or replace 'em ... both of which are, as have been already pointed out likely to involve a substantial investment of time and/or money.

I believe that the stock spokes are zinc plated...as in galvanized.

Some things can't be rushed and though we live is such a ridiculously fast paced world where our minds get frustrated without that feeling of instant gratification, a motorcycle is one of those things that may require patience and time....

About once a year I saturate my wheels in a combination of liquid spray and paste wax.  Just part of a spring time  detailing (and a 6 pack) and I make a mess.  I just coat them thoroughly and then take the time to run a rag in and around each spoke.  I usually do this with the wheel off since I usually have it apart anyway....

I know that some of the wax gets into the threads and crevasses on the spoke ends and can't be wiped off.  This I figure is as good a rust preventative as it gets...and I am rewarded with generally clean spokes....

For those that don't have any patience, they invented solid or cast wheels ....

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/23/05 at 08:40:20

For those that don't have any patience, they invented solid or cast wheels

One of my goals is to replace the stock wheels with a set of cast units from a Sportster...they can be found on ebay for as low as $100/set...with discs and pulley included sometimes.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 10/23/05 at 10:13:42

Quote:
One of my goals is to replace the stock wheels with a set of cast units from a Sportster...they can be found on ebay for as low as $100/set...with discs and pulley included sometimes

This is a mod I would absolutely love to see pics of!

BTW Greg ... the ass-end of your Savage looks super in your signature photo!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/23/05 at 10:32:39

jbrough7 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
thanks for the input!

The powdercoating I've seen uses an electrostatic charge to make the powder stick to the item as it's sprayed on, then it's baked/melted onto it.  Most of the time these days when you find things like metal lawn chairs, etc. they are powdercoated and I've read they now have low heat versions for non-metallic items too.  A friend of mine has a local powdercoating business that has some decent explanations on his new site's FAQ page.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/23/05 at 10:43:39

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
This is a mod I would absolutely love to see pics of!

BTW Greg ... the ass-end of your Savage looks super in your signature photo!

Thanks Perry.  At the moment I'm trying to find front signals of the same style for the bike....but maybe I need to get a new handlbar first, 'cause I'd like them bar mounted.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/23/05 at 11:44:31

You mean the ones that go in the ends?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 10/23/05 at 13:55:28

Or Harley-style directionals that hang off the underside of the bars?
Greg I've entered "Suzuki Savage" into e-bays search engine and from time-to-time I've seen a set of rectangular directionals, similar to those on the rear of your Savage, 'cept a bit smaller and these have clear lenses with amber bulbs ... they look pretty good actually.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 14:20:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any of yous savages know anything about spokes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.