Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How's your back? (Read 4 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

How's your back?
10/19/05 at 03:42:06

I just started riding in March and now use my savage everyday.  Weird thing is I'm 45, with a history of back trouble/operations and even the 25 minute commute to work in a car kills me.  But get on the bike and - shazam- no problems!  I can't figure it out because my suspension is stock and at least once a day I hit a bump which kinda sends a shock wave right through my whole spine.

Is it because on a bike a person is more active?  I wonder if there have been any studies on the subject?  Maybe the Canadian government will pay me $1 million dollars to go on a fact-finding mission (on my savage, of course).

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: How's your back?
Reply #1 - 10/19/05 at 07:33:07

You never know, it does not hurt to ask?  I have heard of a lot crazier things that have been funded.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 10/19/05 at 07:36:59

Funny, I know EXACTLY what you mean. More than 15-20 miles in my truck is excrutiating. Can ride the bike for a couple hours before I'm in agony. Had 2 bi-level lumbar surgeries, my other major joints are worn out. Driving the truck, hurts. Riding the bike, helps. Go figure.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/19/05 at 07:37:48

I think one time the government here in canada did a study on whether a study was needed or not!  Or then, when they do one, the results are so obvious I could have told them the information for $10 and saved all the taxpayers millions!

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/19/05 at 08:07:24

WD: I've had part of a disc taken out in L7, I believe...isn't it strange as you get older all those aches and pains just keep comin' on...riding the bike makes me forget about those for a bit, anyway.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 10/19/05 at 08:42:15

My L3 disc is shot ... and I initially found Riding to be painful ... '85 Rebel with worn out suspension and a totally baffed seat ... but bought an '03 Savage and a $20 back brace at Wally Mart and find now that Riding doesn't bother my back too much at all ... would never Ride without the brace though ... BTW I'm in my 40's as well ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/19/05 at 08:49:07

You live in Newfoundland?  I've been there but just in my car.  Strikes me as a great place to ride a bike.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/19/05 at 08:49:27

I've battled back pain and neck pain since a bad M/C wreck in 1960, but when I'm on my bike, I don't hurt. I suppose it's got a lot to do with desire. Or maybe my Two Wheel Therapy is physical as well as mental.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/19/05 at 09:01:16

It is odd but I've found it to be a decent therapy when I have a pulled lower back muscle - but only in warm weather.  Cold weather seems to cause spasms in muscles that are already injured.  Oh, also in my 40's.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 10/19/05 at 09:02:03

Quote:
You live in Newfoundland?  I've been there but just in my car.  Strikes me as a great place to ride a bike

Yup, live in St. John's ... motorcycling as a lifestyle. pasttime, hobby, etc. has EXPLODED  here over the past 5 years ... and from May to Oct. Newfoundland is a great place to Ride; lots of scenic coastal highways and backroads ... of course, being situated out in the North Atlantic, even during those months the weather can be fickle occassionally ...

Where in Canada you located?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/19/05 at 09:04:20

I know what you mean - I swear we must be working/moving/exercising a lot more while on a bike than we think.  It actually does help when I have back pain....a long walk also helps....I wonder if sex helps?

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/19/05 at 09:14:23

PerrydaSavage:  I live in Ontario just west of London.  Nice place to raise kids and there are a lot of back roads to take off on.  

Pick my daughter up after school on my savage and she is definitely the queen of cool then!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 10/19/05 at 14:56:37

Hey jbrough7 ... that's a beautiful area of the country you live in as well ... used to be down that way a bit back in the late-80's/early-90's when the in-laws used to live in Sarnia ... am hoping to get up to the famous Fri. 13th Bike Rally in Port Dover in Oct. '06 ... would love to meet up with others from this Forum!
Riding an m/c is a physical exercise ... and for some types of back problems it probably is beneficial ... as for sex ... well I can attest that it has helped tremendously on occassion; but I find it helps to be in an in inverted, horizontal attitude! Wink

WWW   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/19/05 at 16:23:31

Would love to go to that but I'm a teacher and if I take the day off, everybody would know it and would know where I was going.  Weird thing is my 'big bosses' are all guys with Harleys and they have no problem going down to Dover and taking the day off.  But don't let them see YOU there!!!!

But if you are around, let me know and we'll get together.

By the way, how late in the year are you going to ride in NFLD?  I'm trying for the last day of school here, Dec. 23!@#$#@!@  Don't know if the snow will hold off that long.

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/21/05 at 12:31:16

So I moved the handlebars down to be cool and the seat back and up and now my back hurts!@#$#@!  Go figure!  Gotta go for function over form - I think I've learned my lesson.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 13:03:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How's your back?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.