Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do all Savages dislike the rain? (Read 8 times)
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Do all Savages dislike the rain?
10/11/05 at 06:34:53

I took my S40 out in the rain yesterday.  It was OK at first, but it shortly began whistling like a kettle.  It seems to have been only when I was throttling, not when I was letting it idle.

Is this common?  Is there anything I can do to get it to not do that anymore (short of only riding it when it's not wet out)?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Do all Savages dislike the rain?
Reply #1 - 10/11/05 at 06:58:24

Was the noise coming from the belt?

If so, mine does it too when slightly wet.

If it's raining hard enough I don't hear it Wink

IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/05 at 06:58:39

My two Savages do the same.  It is the belt rubbing on the sides of the rear sprocket.  It should quit when the belt dries out.

IP Logged
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #3 - 10/11/05 at 07:40:27

Really?  It seemed to me to be coming from somewhere in the front region... I was thinking maybe an air intake or something.

But then I couldn't really hear that well in my helmet.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/11/05 at 12:53:18

I seem to get caught in the rain pretty frequently and I've never noticed any noises coming from the belt . I know one thing though, after the riding season is over I'm gonna put some kind of "mudflap" or something on the front fender because my legs get wetter from water coming off the fender than rain fromn the sky! It hits me right in the shins and runs directly into my boots.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/11/05 at 13:06:09

savage777 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I seem to get caught in the rain pretty frequently and I've never noticed any noises coming from the belt . I know one thing though, after the riding season is over I'm gonna put some kind of "mudflap" or something on the front fender because my legs get wetter from water coming off the fender than rain fromn the sky! It hits me right in the shins and runs directly into my boots.

$5 will get you a pair from JC Whitney.  Greg_650 pointed me to these and I've had the front one on for almost a year.  I'll put the back one on fairly soon, I think.  You can see how it looks in this image.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #6 - 10/11/05 at 15:00:53

The same happened to me last Tuesday.
But when i finally arrived at home, i felt smell of burnt rubber!

???

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/11/05 at 15:36:22

Rob, love your bike and the mud flap. I also seem to attract rain when I ride, may hire out as a Rainmaker. I've never had a bit of trouble with noises from my bike when it's wet, but in Texas rain is a bonus and it doesn't stay wet for too long. Usually turns to steam on contact.
Is that a Cyclegraphics on your bike? How hard was it to apply? I have one but haven't even taken it out of the package because I figured I'd mess it up. I've been thinking about trying to find someone to apply it for me.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/11/05 at 17:47:15

Hey Rob,

Nice pic!  My hubby is dying to know about the black pipes.  Is that a coating?  Please share the scoop on that.

Thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/12/05 at 05:46:35

Thanks.  I have used Cyclegraphics removable/reusable decals before and they worked well.  This image shows that tank decal.  I had used it to cover the original Suzuki decal before I went ahead and removed it.  The current tank decal is a normal adhesive decal from Weston Signs and Decals.  The black is the ultra hi-temp (2000° F) rattlecan stuff from Autozone.  It seems to work pretty well, though there is a spot I appear not to have prep'd as well since the paint is flaking slightly there.  Fortunately, it's not easily visible.  I am seriously considering having the exact same look done in ceramic coating though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #10 - 10/16/05 at 14:40:20

AndyC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I took my S40 out in the rain yesterday.  It was OK at first, but it shortly began whistling like a kettle.  It seems to have been only when I was throttling, not when I was letting it idle.

I got caught this morning in a rain storm here in "Sunny Cal" and had the exact same experience on my '06 S40.  After some careful listening and experimenting I determined it was the belt.  I'm thinking after more use it will happen less often and less loud...'cause it was not a subtle noise!

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #11 - 10/16/05 at 17:02:09

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I got caught this morning in a rain storm here in "Sunny Cal" and had the exact same experience on my '06 S40.  After some careful listening and experimenting I determined it was the belt.  I'm thinking after more use it will happen less often and less loud...'cause it was not a subtle noise!

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I'll listen a little closer next time I get caught in the rain.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 05:03:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do all Savages dislike the rain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.