Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tell me about tires --and some 2 up comments (Read 5 times)
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Tell me about tires --and some 2 up comments
10/13/05 at 15:48:26

So, I am back from Bahrain and I owe pics, but have no where to host them as of yet.

My question is about replacement tires, I searched through topics and didnt find exactly what I am looking for. Bike has 4100 miles on it now, the back tire (stock tire)  looks almost smooth in the center -- you can still see the tread design but its not very deep. Is this normal -- is it time to replace?

If it is time to replace, someone please post the most recent prices you might have paid for replacement tires. And maybe someone give me some pointers on what tire I should go with please.

On the 2 up thing. I just did a 200 mile ride with a girl that I met (cute little 112 pound bike loving kind) I weigh about 190 and with the 2 of us on there, the only difference in handling that I noticed was the way that the wind felt at higher speeds. I cant believe this bike handles so well. I never want to outgrow it because it just kicks so much A$$.

And I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I am glad to be a part of this forum.

God Bless you All!

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Tell me about tires --and some 2 up comments
Reply #1 - 10/13/05 at 19:03:39

I ordered a Maxxis whitewall a month ago & it's still not here yet. Paid $99 including shipping. If I didn't want the whitewall I'd get the Metzler ME 880 based on recommendations I've read from those who have used them. One's going on the front of my S40 next Spring. Prices online run about $80/front & $100/back. There are cheaper tires but probably not as grippy. I noticed the Metzler website has a new tire called "Lazer tech" or something that comes in the 19" size but not 15".

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/13/05 at 23:16:36

I wonder how that rear tire went bald at 4100 hundred miles?? We were'nt doin smokies were we?!!!!

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #3 - 10/14/05 at 05:48:17

Haha, no - no smokin' the wheels, I thought it was really odd that the tread would wear off so quickly too. I guess its just a crappy tire??

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/14/05 at 06:58:00

There are a number of choices but the standard sizes (from the owner's manual) are:

FRONT:   100/90-19 57H

REAR:     140/80-15 M/C 67H

I went with the Dunlop 491 Elite II's (though I think they are no longer made and the Elite III is taking its place).  They are good affordable tires and I am very pleased with them.  The Elite II did not have a 140/80-15 rear tire.  They only had the 140/90-15.  That reduces clearance with the rear fender and will rub on the left if you have saddlebag supports.  I had to set the shock preload to its highest setting and use mushroom head bolts for the supports to alleviate this.  Now that I have replaced the stock shocks with longer ones, this is not an issue but it should be noted - especially if you ride 2-up.  Last year I was able to get the pair of tires for about $150 online with free shipping.  I don't remember the vendor but I'll try to find out.  Many folks recommend the Metzeler tires.  I have never used them but I've always heard good about them.  They do carry the correct sizes to match the stockers but they can be a bit pricier.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #5 - 10/14/05 at 07:18:39

i have a chenshing barracuda 130/90-15 m/c 66h,it is only $48 at dennis kirk,perfect burnout tire

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/15/05 at 02:44:04

I've just priced the cheap kenda tires for front and back and they were both less than $40 each.  I can't remember the best site but I just plugged in kenda motorcycle tires in a search engine and kept looking.

I know these aren't the greatest tires but if you only ride a few thou a year they are fine.

they've just introduced a new cruiser line as well.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/15/05 at 07:32:18

marke2571 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Haha, no - no smokin' the wheels, I thought it was really odd that the tread would wear off so quickly too. I guess its just a crappy tire??

I will assume that your tire is the stock issue IRC that comes on the Savage....

Generally, bike tires wear out in the center first.  Just the nature of the beast since a bike spends most of its time in a vertical position.  They never wear out like a car tire.

Different tires with different compounds also wear differently and generally cheaper tires are harder than the expensive ones, which are softer but have better grip and rain grooves....it's a toss up decision that you have to make.

However, tire pressure is often the real culprit and is generally misunderstood.  Running with a pressure that is too high or too low can have a profound effect on the life of the tire (or the rider), as well.  

If you suspect that the tire has worn out prematurely, there is a good possibility that your tire pressure was too high.  When you install the new one, make sure that your tire pressures are set according to the Suzuki specifications located on the label on the steering head....

....and don't go by the misconception that the maximum pressure printed on the tire is correct for you.  That is the tire manufacturers spec and their tires are mounted on many different bikes....

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 10/15/05 at 23:31:13

Look for the Dunlop made for the back of the Honda PC 800. It is the correct size, has deep tread and looks like it will last at least as long as any others have for me. I don't have the owners manual in the house, but my recollection is, changed the original rear tire out about 4 K, the Mettzler lasted about 7K as did the first Dunlop Elite II replacement. It was the 190 sized one and I had to do the special bolt head trick when I was running saddle bag supports. Seems I remember the Mettzler got a tear in it or it would have lasted longer. Dunlop was worn out in the middle but had lots of side tread. I live where the roads run along section lines for the most part so the center will always wear out first for me. I also am heavy (was) and have hard bags, a trunk and full fairing so bike is heavier. The front has only been changed once to the Mettzler 880 and it is still in great shape, has great wet and dry traction and balanced w/o much weight. No problem with the mix between brands front and rear. Be sure that whatever you buy is not old stock as a good case can be made for changing out the tires about 5 years regardless of the amount of tread left. I used to save the take-offs in case I needed a tire quickly sometime. Once I was educated to the life of the rubber due to ozone, I took them off the wall and tossed them. Actually as much work as it is to change the rear one, it is foolish to try and use anything other than a new tire when it has worn down or has the time on it.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/16/05 at 11:17:32

I just looked at the Dunlop fitment guide and Max is right.  That is the K555.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 14:25:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tell me about tires --and some 2 up comments

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.