Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird Stalling problem . . . Any ideas (Read 4 times)
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Weird Stalling problem . . . Any ideas
10/10/05 at 08:52:25

I have an '86 that i bought a few months ago.

It's never really run perfectly yet.  When i first got it, it stalled a lot.  

So, i took apart the carb and cleaned the heck out of it.  Definately ran better.

But, now it does something odd.  If i sit at a traffic light, it will idle perfectly for over a minute, maybe even 2 minutes.  Then it will start to bog down and, if i don't give it some gas, it will stall.  

I can restart it, but it will run like crap.  Then, the light turns green and I pull away.  Come to the next light, and the process starts all over again.

But, it only happens sometimes.  Sometimes I can stop and it will idle fine.  And sometimes, it idles crappy.

I think it blows a little black smoke when it idles crappy, so I'm thinking it's running rich for some reason.

Something sticking in the carb?  Why only sometimes, and why will it idle fine for a few minutes?

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Re: Weird Stalling problem . . . Any ideas
Reply #1 - 10/10/05 at 09:09:00

too much fuel, not enough air.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 10/10/05 at 09:14:36

sounds like the fuel needle valve,there may be dirt holding it open or the o-ring might be damaged. imo.

is the float ajusted correctly?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/10/05 at 12:42:18

you could be a tad rich on the air screw but most likely this is the slide hanging and not closing the main jet - when you cleaned it did you clean the diaphram slide as well ?
if so was there a lot of the black coating worn off the slide?
if this is the problem area and you have no tears or holes in the diaphram itself , several of us after pulling the slide and cleaning it along with the tube it slides up and down in , have had very good results by adding a little 2-stroke oil to the fuel now and then - I use castrol TTS - about 1 oz of this every 5 or 6 tanks of gas in the '95 savage - if I stop doing this by the 10th tank or so the sticky slide comes back.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/10/05 at 21:01:05

Is it a little rich?  Any black smoke at the exhaust?   Try turning in the air mixture screw just a bit to lean it out.  Check your floats.  Also make sure your idle is correct.....

However....don't add any oil to your gas.  Ever!!  That is just an old school trick with a worn out engine.  It never lubes anything important and just dirties up the combustion chamber, plug and pipe.  

ALL the oil you need is already being delivered by the oil pump in all the correct places.  It is called a gas tank for a reason and the Savage ain't a 2 stroke  Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 10/11/05 at 06:02:38

Old school - I guess so.

The problem here I described is a wornout coating on the round slide no doubt about it. Root cause seems to be either a less than robust material on the slide in the first place or dirt being pulled in through one of the many seams in the stock air intake.

An over 300:1 mixture of modern synthetic 2-stroke oil like TTS doesn't smoke, trash the exhaust, produce carbon build up, or foul the plug and the results say it does prevent the slide from hanging.

Of course the right thing to do is to replace the slide, but for now I'll keep giving it a shot of TTS every 1,000 miles or so.      

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #6 - 10/11/05 at 06:15:35

Figured I'd add a little info to try to clarify.  

I'm pretty positive my idle and mixture screws are adjusted correctly.  95% of the time, my bike runs exactly like it should.

When i sit at a light, many times it will idle perfectly.  And, it will pretty much always idle perfectly for the first few minutes.  

But, every once in a while, after idling for a few minutes, it will be like someone flipped a switch and it just bogs down, trys to stall, and runs rich (black smoke).  

I work the throttle to keep it running, and pull away from the light.  When i get to the next light, it's running perfectly again . . . for a minute or two.

When i took apart the carb, the slide looked pretty worn.  Definately not black (is it supposed to have a black coating?).  It looked like raw metal.  But, it seemed to slide fine.  Didn't see any tears in the seal either.

I dunno.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 10/11/05 at 08:55:24

Sounds like the float valve is getting stuck slightly open.
Try this:
Take the float valve apart and polish the inside of the brass part using a Q-tip and a tooth paste.
Every time when I am working on a bike that has been sitting for a long time i use this.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 00:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weird Stalling problem . . . Any ideas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.